4 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-02-04T09:28:16Z by JohnAlter
Harmohan
Harmohan
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Working with remote server from client

‏2011-06-11T14:52:02Z |
Hi,

Could anybody help me to give information as mentioned query below.....

I have a requirement that one server system will be equipped with all short of IDE and software. More than one client will work with the same single server and do the necessary compilation and execution separately. Client system should not have any dependent software or code as required instead use the server resource to complete the job.

Any IDE is there which will solve the above mentioned query or any other way can achieved the same except Cloud Computing.

Thanks & Regards

Harmohan
Updated on 2012-02-04T09:28:16Z at 2012-02-04T09:28:16Z by JohnAlter
  • StevenMunroe
    StevenMunroe
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Working with remote server from client

‏2011-06-13T16:25:04Z  in response to Harmohan
    You did not specify a platform (X,P,or Z) but in general you can install a IDE (Eclipse for example) on the Linux server and access via X forwarding (log in with ssh -X) or use a VNC server to forward the server GUI to a client.

This works fairly well within a single location with a good eth backbone.

With longer distance between the server and the client display cursor tracking / screen update lag and may frustrate the user. For this case a more sophisticated IDE that supports remote compiler/debug is needed.

With more specifics I can try to steer you to what tools might fit your case.
    • Harmohan
      Harmohan
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-20T10:45:07Z  in response to StevenMunroe
      I want information for windows platform. I heard that RAD has some future that enable user to work remotely without downloading the code from server. Could you please guide me on this and if possible send me the link so that I will go through the document.

Thanks & Regards
      Harmohan
      • klausk
        klausk
        13 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-20T13:03:22Z  in response to Harmohan
        Harmohan,

Since you are posting on the "Linux for Power Architecture" forum, I assume you are trying to use Windows XP clients to develop software that runs on Linux running on POWER processors, am I right?

The IBM SDK for Linux on POWER (http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/set2/sas/f/lopdiags/sdklop.html) is a new, free-of-charge offering that runs natively on Linux on POWER processors. It has a nice Graphical User Interface that can be accessed using VNC or SSH X-forwarding. It also runs under regular user (non-root) privileges on you POWER server, so you can create as many users as you'd like, and each will be able to access their own instances of the SDK without interfering with each other.

The IBM SDK for Linux on POWER runs natively on the POWER server, so it is able to develop native POWER binaries without a need to cross-compile or remote deployment. After you connect to the SDK instance using VNC or SSH X-Forwarding, everything (code, build artifacts, debugging and profiling tools) is essentially "local" to the POWER server.

Another alternative is provided by the Rational Developer for POWER (http://www-01.ibm.com/software/rational/products/rdp/). It runs natively on your x86 Linux or Windows Clients, but can be used to build POWER binaries by using a remote connection. You can find more details, as well as a link to a trial version in the link above.

Does that answer you question?

-Klaus
  • JohnAlter
    JohnAlter
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-02-04T09:28:16Z  in response to Harmohan
    Create multiple sessions for each user on server and connect through any remote desktop software.