Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2011-06-15T14:30:22Z by SystemAdmin
CharlieHays
CharlieHays
1 Post

Pinned topic Adding additional items to an existing choice list

‏2011-06-08T23:20:15Z |
We have a customer that needs to automate adding new items (e.g., Vendors) to a existing choice list. This Choice list is in the Content Engine and is used by Entry Templates in WorkplaceXT and FileNet Capture. It is also implemented in eForms that is used when a business process is used. The problem is that it is cumbersome to update the Choice List in CE and the eForm. They need a way to automate the process of adding to the Choice List which happened on a daily basis. Ideally this could be accomplished by a business user and by pass FileNet Administration.

Has anyone built such a utility? If not is this possible?

The following link to the P8 Information Center suggests to be that it is possible:

Working with Choice Lists - Developers
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/p8docs/v4r5m1/topic/com.ibm.p8.doc/developer_help/content_engine_api/guide/choicelist_procedures.htm
Thanks for your help.
Updated on 2011-06-15T14:30:22Z at 2011-06-15T14:30:22Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    693 Posts

Re: Adding additional items to an existing choice list

‏2011-06-08T23:29:35Z  
    It's certainly possible. Everything that happens via FEM eventually comes down to CE API calls. I don't know of a tool for doing this, but the CE API parts would be straightforward (the bulk of the tool would be UI pieces).

If the ChoiceList changes daily, I'm guessing it's fairly large. Can you give us a ballpark figure for how large it is? Some sites notice performance lag with large ChoiceLists (where "large" is some number of thousands of entries).
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    693 Posts

Re: Adding additional items to an existing choice list

‏2011-06-15T14:30:22Z  
    It's certainly possible. Everything that happens via FEM eventually comes down to CE API calls. I don't know of a tool for doing this, but the CE API parts would be straightforward (the bulk of the tool would be UI pieces).

If the ChoiceList changes daily, I'm guessing it's fairly large. Can you give us a ballpark figure for how large it is? Some sites notice performance lag with large ChoiceLists (where "large" is some number of thousands of entries).
    The previous reply addresses updating the choice list stored in FEM. You don't mention how the eForm choice list is generated, though. If this is hard-coded into the form template then you have a lot of unnecessary additional work to do. If the choice list is not being automatically populated from the central source (i.e. from the list configured in FEM) then you have created an inefficient system.

Therefore, you should be creating a separate UI on top of CE API calls to be able to manage the choice list AND you should configure your eForm template to populate the relevant choice list by automatically triggering a query to the relevant choice list (again using the CE API) on opening the form. This way, the people managing your vendor list only have to update it in one place - without directly touching the underlying system at all.