19 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-08-19T13:20:29Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
141 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic WSRR migration from V6.3 to V7

‏2011-06-03T12:24:30Z |
Guys,
I need some clarifications regarding upgrading/migrating WSRR from V6.3.0.3 to V7.0.0.3
I am reading the WSRR Infocenter and it mentions all about capturing and backing up of data and metadata from the existing WSRR which i already did and also mentions about migrate the data to a freshly installed newer version.
Now when i try to install the new product(V7.0.0.3) to an existing WAS ND the IM recognizes that there is an existing installation of WSRR and then the new installation fails and i checked if i can change the directory location for WSRR but dint find any of the steps of IM.
Now my question is how can we change the new WSRR installation path from the IM if not do we have to do another fresh WAS ND installation and then install WSRR on top of it ?

Any help highly appreciated.let me know if i didn't make myself clear.

Thanks
RD
Updated on 2011-08-19T13:20:29Z at 2011-08-19T13:20:29Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    141 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: WSRR migration from V6.3 to V7

‏2011-06-03T13:31:50Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Yes you definitely need to install another copy of WAS.
    You can only ever have one version of WSRR installed to each WAS instance, and we do not support inplace migration (meaning you cannot install one version of WSRR on top of an a previous one).
    • LauraO
      LauraO
      4 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-03T13:39:56Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      You might want to consider migrating to WSRR v7.5 which is available for download today! Here is a presentation on some of the new features in WSRR 7.5 that I gave at IBM IMPACT
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        141 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-03T14:56:32Z  in response to LauraO
        yes ..i will check the PA site if the product is available for us and download it. thanks for the update and document. :)
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      141 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-03T14:55:20Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Thanks Chris for the clarification.
      to make myself clear. i have to install another copy of WAS and then install WSRR V7.x on top of it and configure it to the remote database and import/load the data (captured from V6.3) and load the configuration profile and other configurations if any to be made to the new installation.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      141 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-24T13:29:46Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi Chris,
      In reference to your post

You can only ever have one version of WSRR installed to each WAS instance, and we do not support inplace migration (meaning you cannot install one version of WSRR on top of an a previous one).

now i followed the same steps and installed a fresh WAS system but when i try to install WSRR it tries to overwrite on the existing installation which is located under /opt/IBM/WebSphere/ with the same directory name " ServiceRegistry " and i checked if i can explicitly provide the path or change the default directory name for WSRR install but the IM does not have that option. Not sure how to get this done. any pointers will be helpful.

Thanks
      RD
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        141 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-24T13:50:01Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Follow the installation instructions to install on an existing WAS install.
        Once you have imported that new WAS install into InstallationManager it will allow you to install into that location.

WSRR v7 (and 7.5) will always install into the WAS directory - they cannot be installed into a different directory and will only work if installed on top of your WAS install. As you found, IM will not let you provide a different path, you can only pick which WAS install to install on top of.

Hope that helps.

Chris
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          141 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-24T14:21:11Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Thanks for a quick response chris!!
          i have 2 directories for AppServer under WebSphere, old one at V7.0.0.11 where WSRR V6.3.0.3 is deployed and a new install at V7.0.0.17 which comes with WSRR V7.5.. But i guess i have to create the profiles first before installing WSRR coz WSRR directly by default goes into /opt/IBM/WebSphere/ and AppServer(old) and AppServer1(new) are also at the same level.

will give another shot and see if works though!!

Thanks again!! will update when i am done :)
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            141 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-24T14:38:34Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            I think you have got the wrong end of the stick.

Fire up InstallationManager (install it if you haven't already).
            Then click Import, provide the path to the WAS install where you want to install WSRR - note its the path to the WAS_HOME directory not the profile.
            Then click Install and install WSRR.

You do not need to create the profile first - WSRR installs on top of the WAS product directory.
            You can then deploy WSRR by creating a new serviceregistry standalone profile or augment an existing WAS default profile.
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              141 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-24T14:58:22Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              hmm seems like i am getting it now,thanks Chris for all your time. i am also able to see the WSRR install from versionInfo.sh as it shows below.

WVER0012I: VersionInfo reporter version 1.15.1.26, dated 8/9/08

IBM WebSphere Application Server Product Installation Status Report

Report at date and time June 24, 2011 10:55:54 AM EDT

Installation

Product Directory /opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer
              Version Directory /opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/properties/version
              DTD Directory /opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/properties/version/dtd
              Log Directory /opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/logs
              Backup Directory /opt/IBM/WebSphere/AppServer/properties/version/nif/backup
              TMP Directory /tmp

Product List

WSRR installed
              ND installed

Installed Product

Name IBM WebSphere Service Registry and Repository
              Version 7.5.0.0
              ID WSRR
              Build Level 20110518_0937
              Build Date 05/18/11
              Architecture AMD (64 bit)

Installed Product

Name IBM WebSphere Application Server - ND
              Version 7.0.0.17
              ID ND
              Build Level cf171115.15
              Build Date 4/16/11
              Architecture AMD (64 bit)

End Installation Status Report

so now i have to proceed with the deploy WSRR step as mentioned on the default profile or create my own custom profile. And then load/migrate data from V6.3 to the V7.5 WSRR
              appreciate your help chris.. once again will update if any issues :)
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              141 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-19T12:47:16Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              hi Chris,
              was on a long vacation and i am back again working on the migration of WSRR :) as mentioned i finished with the Install WSRR part and also as shown on my previous post i can see WSRR installed and WAS installed now i am in the process of deploying WSRR after creating a new managed profile(used the regular manageprofiles command to create the DMGR and managed profile and syncrhonized the profile to DMGR on which the WSRR application will be installed) but when i try to deploy from Administrative console i am unable to find any option to do it :(
              can you help me out in this as i am unable to find right information on the WSRR infocenter too.

Thanks
              RD
              • SystemAdmin
                SystemAdmin
                141 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-19T13:20:29Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                never mind got the right topic now. will update the thread once done!!
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    141 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-03T15:03:47Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Yes that's correct.
    WSRR 7.5 includes a new updated migration tool that should handle sucking the data out of your old database and putting it into the new WSRR 7.5 database for you.

More information can be found here:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/sr/v7r5/topic/com.ibm.sr.doc/cwsr_upgrade_version7.5.html
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      141 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-03T15:13:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      there is so much change for v6.x to v7.x in upgrading or in fresh installation and new all the time, seems to be an interesting task all the way :)
      thanks for all your comments.. will update once i see any issues or finish the task smoothly.
  • MattMahoney
    MattMahoney
    9 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-03T15:21:19Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi all,

I caution anyone migrating from 6.3 to 7.x.

I tried this migration about two months ago and the *.emx files that are used in WSRR studio for the UML diagrams and are also used to create the OWL and SACL files for the GEP could not be migrated at that time. The China team was planning to fix this in a later release, but I abandoned my migration because I would have needed to make extensive model and lifecycle changes all over again. The GEP that contains the OWL and SACL files will work fine under 7.x.

Matt Mahoney
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      141 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-03T15:31:15Z  in response to MattMahoney
      thanks for the heads up matt, but did this get fixed in WSRR V7.5 ?
      and i dont see CZX00ML (WSRR v7.5) being available on the IBM server yet but i can see it on our PA site though. will wait till monday and try to download the software again. :)
      • MartinRowe
        MartinRowe
        1 Post
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-06T12:23:01Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        The same issues with UML migration still exist in WSRR Studio 7.5 - i.e. you will still have to copy the .emx files or changes between the UML models between configuration profile projects manually.

The full migration steps for profiles are documented in the InfoCenter, here: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/sr/v7r5/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.sr.studio.doc/twsr_upgrade_studio_project_from_63.html . (And yes, that does mention 6.3 specifically, but the same essentially applies to any configuration profile project upgrade.)
      • MattMahoney
        MattMahoney
        9 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-07T12:30:23Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        My plan was to do a side by side comparision of the old UML diagrams (we had customized) to the new UML diagrams. Some properties were changed in the new release to include new datatypes and/or extensions of the classes ( I think). Our changes were very extensive (like we removed the DOU, etc) and was done by an IBM software engineer so I was not comfortable making all of the changes that took him a couple months by myself. Good luck.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          141 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-07T16:04:22Z  in response to MattMahoney
          i am not yet there with using the WSRR studio fully as of now. we are using the governance instance which promotes the endpoints across the downstream environments, mine is kinda upgrading/migrating WSRR V6.3.0.3 to V7.5 and the new installation seems to be very easy with the introduction of IBM IM, not finished with the installation yet. once my installation is done i have to load the data and see if everything works fine and then step into the UML stuff... till then no UML :).. but appreciate your response about the changes made.

Thanks
          RD
  • MattMahoney
    MattMahoney
    9 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-11T13:28:41Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    In reference to... I caution anyone migrating from 6.3 to 7.x

It appears that this problem has been fixed. When migrating from WSRR Studio 6.3.. you must export first. See this link... http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/sr/v7r5/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.sr.doc%2Fcwsr_new_71_proj_ichange.html
    And then import into WSRR studio 7.5. See this link...
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/sr/v7r5/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.sr.doc%2Fcwsr_new_71_proj_ichange.html

I was trying to import a GEP that I was using in WSRR, but that of course did not contain the *.emx files used for the models and diagrams.