Topic
14 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-12-05T17:28:09Z by gogol
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
308 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic IPIC Connectivity?

‏2011-06-02T06:07:25Z |
I am using TX 7.1.02 (on Windows XP) and also have access to a CICS TS 4.1 environment. I have been trying to setup communication between TX AND TS using IPIC. I have succesfully managed to start the connection from CICS TS to TX but am unable to start the connection in the other directions (TX to TS). Have experimented with other scenarios such as TX to TX but have only being successful with TX acting as the Listener.

I have defined a number of CDs (Communications Definitions) in TX but none of them work. Interestingly the TX Console log does not show any messages (failure or otherwise) for these definitions. I have also enabled packet tracing on the wire (using Wireshark)in an attempt to see if anything was flowing. In fact this showed that TX was making any attempt to start the connection (ie. nopackets seen). It is almost like the CD definitions are being ignored or not being activated.

Has anyone got any ideas on what I may be doing wrong? Should TX be writing messages to the Console log? What other debugging techniques can I try?

Tks, Peter Shell
Updated on 2011-12-05T17:28:09Z at 2011-12-05T17:28:09Z by gogol
  • Vivekster
    Vivekster
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: IPIC Connectivity?

‏2011-06-02T09:02:32Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Peter,

No Packets seen, this may mean that the CD definitions are incorrectly configured.
    Could we have a look at the CD/LD definitions of both the regions to assess the problem?
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      308 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-02T22:56:11Z  in response to Vivekster
      Thanks for responding - am pretty sure it must be a configuration problem but can't see what is wrong. The configuration details are as follows -

Region - MSTEST1
      Region SysID=ISC0
      Local Network Name=ADCDADCD
      Local LU Name =MSTEST1

CD - CICS:
      ResourceDescription="Communications Definition"
      ConnectionType=cics_ipic
      Remote System Name=CICS
      RemoteNetworkName=ADCDCADCD
      ListenerName=TSIPIC
      RemoteTCPAddress=10.0.3.161
      RemoteTCPPort=9990
      ReceiveCount=10
      SendCount=10

LD - TSIPIC
      ResourceDescription="Listener Definition"
      Protocol=IPIC
      TCPAddress=192.168.1.4
      TCPService=tsipic
      TCPProcessCount=1

Am pretty sure the LD is correct as connection is established when initiated from CICS TS. However we would like to initiate from CICS TX to CICS TS. Which should be the CD definition.

Cheers, Peter
      • GovindCS
        GovindCS
        2 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-03T06:13:35Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Hi Peter,
        I noticed "Remote System Name=CICS". It is an invalid entry in CD stanza. The entry should be "RemoteLUName=CICS".
        The rest looks ok. Could you make this change and see if communication works?

Thanks,
        Govind
      • GovindCS
        GovindCS
        2 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-03T06:30:53Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Hi Peter,
        Another issue is that the network name specified "RemoteNetworkName=ADCDCADCD" is longer than 8 characters. There is an extra 'C' in it.
        Please correct this too and then try again.

You can check in the documentation (link below) to verify your configuration on TXSeries and CICSTS for IPIC connectivity.
        http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/txformp/v7r1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.cics.tx.doc/tasks/t_ipic_config_comm1.html

Let us know how it goes!
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          308 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-06T01:39:46Z  in response to GovindCS
          Hi Govind,

Sorry just my bad typing. The Network name is ADCDADCD and the RemoteLUName is CICS. I used the Web Admin tool to add the LD and CD resources.

I am also out of the office this week travelling so will not have access to my TX Setup.

My concern at the moment is that TX is not even attempting to send a connection request on the wire. I am pretty positive that my CICS TS IPIC definitions are correct as have seen these connect to non TX instances already. I have also seen TX respond to an incoming IPIC connection request. However TX never seems to initiate a connection. This is what I thought was defined by the CD Resource. If there is something wrong with the CD resource definition why are there no msgs shown in the log?

Tks, Peter
          • JanakiS
            JanakiS
            1 Post
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-08T14:14:48Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Here is the configuration which worked fine for me. DPL programs are working fine from TXSeries region to CICSTS and CICSTS to TXSeries region as well.

Since you have not provided your CICSTS configuration, can you check the below mentioned configuration against yours and figure out what is wrong?
            Configuration in my CICSTS region:

Ipconn: ISC0

Ipconn :ISC0
            Group :JANTEST
            DEScription :
            IPIC CONNECTION IDENTIFIERS
            APplid :XPREGN01
            Networkid :ADCDADCD
            Host :<hostname or IP address where TXSeries region is running>
            (Mixed Case) :
            Port :10258
            Tcpipservice :ISC0

IPIC CONNECTION PROPERTIES
            Receivecount :010
            SENdcount :010
            TCpipservice: ISC0

TCpipservice :ISC0
            GROup :JANTEST
            DEScription :
            Urm :DFHISAIP
            POrtnumber :10259
            PROtocol :IPic
            TRansaction :CISS
            Backlog :00001
            TSqprefix :
            Host :<hostname / IP address of z OS machine>
            Following is the configuration of TXSeries region on Windows XP:
            RD:
            ----
            LocalSysId="ISC0"
            LocalNetworkName="ADCDADCD"
            LocalLUName="XPREGN01"

CD: ISC1

ConnectionType=cics_ipic
            RemoteLUName="CICSTS01"
            RemoteNetworkName="ADCDADCD"
            ListenerName="TSIPIC"
            RemoteTCPAddress=<host name / IP address of the machine where CICSTS region is running>
            RemoteTCPPort=10259

LD: TSIPIC

Protocol=IPIC
            TCPAddress=<hostname / IP address of the machine where TXSeries region is running>
            TCPService="tsipic"
            TCPProcessCount=1

Port entry for TXSeries region in Windows XP machine:

tsipic 10258/tcp
            Hope it works!
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              308 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-14T06:58:47Z  in response to JanakiS
              Thanks for your config, they confirm what has been configured. For the record our TS config is below -

Ipconn :P1IPCON
              Group :IPIC
              DEScription :
              IPIC CONNECTION IDENTIFIERS
              APplid :MSTEST1
              Networkid :ADCDADCD
              Host :192.168.1.4
              Port :9990
              Tcpipservice :P1TXTTCP

IPIC CONNECTION PROPERTIES
              Receivecount :001
              SENdcount :001

TCpipservice: P1TXTCP
              GROup :IPIC
              DEScription :
              Urm :DFHISAIP
              POrtnumber :9990
              PROtocol :IPic
              TRansaction :CISS
              Backlog :00001
              Host :10.0.3.161

As far as I can tell this should work and in fact it does with other systems.

I still believe that there is something more fundemental wrong as it should be possible to see TX sending packets out onto the network for any defined CD (which we don't) even if they don't exist. As the only way TX will know that they don't exist is when it gets no reply. Is this true?

I would also be interested in knowing what messages ares shown in the log for the CD. We see no messages logged by TX for CD resources though we do see tyhe Listener starting. Should there be any messages in the log?

Appreciate your input - Peter
              • gogol
                gogol
                75 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-07-01T08:18:08Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                Since you are on Windows, can you verify you don't have a firewall active & running. As the configuration seems good and you are unable to see any traffic on the network, I'm suspecting, your Windows machine is not allowing the packets to go out, most likely caused by a firewall or similar s/w. And if this indeed is causing an issue, you will not see any error messages in TXSeries logs, as this is a system wide restriction/issue than anything to do with TXSeries.

HTH.
                • SystemAdmin
                  SystemAdmin
                  308 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-07-01T10:27:14Z  in response to gogol
                  Hi,

There is no firewall running on my PC, which is where I was running Wireshark to capture any network traffic. I have captured plenty of other traffic without any issues including traffic for other connections from my PC.

I agree with your thoughts, as this was where I first headed, but nothing has been generated. This is backed up (I believe) by the fact that the TX message log shows nothing. I still believe that if something had been sent then the TX log would have shown it.

Appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Cheers,

Peter
                  • gogol
                    gogol
                    75 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-07-01T11:46:32Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                    You could take a TXSeries trace to see what it is doing.

See this post to see the info on how to enable & format trace
                    https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=375860&tstart=0
                    • SystemAdmin
                      SystemAdmin
                      308 Posts
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-07-06T07:02:43Z  in response to gogol
                      Thanks for that suggestion. I should have thought of that before. Though I did not know that the trace could be started by a Set command.

However, good news and not so good news.

I am now able to see a connection attempt going out from TX to my TS CICS region. This only occurred when I attempted to start a remote program using CECI. That's the good news.

The not so good news is that it fails the capabilities exchange and therefore never starts. The issue is that TX uses Nulls to fill out the NETID and APPLID. CICS TS likes spaces and so will continue to reject the connection request because it will never match up. I can't believe that this hasn't been run into before now. I did notice on closer examination that the samples provided above which were succesfully used 8 character names and therefore did not have this problem.

Is this a known issue? Is there anyway around it

Tks Peter
                      • gogol
                        gogol
                        75 Posts
                        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-07-13T06:17:43Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                        >I did notice on closer examination that the samples provided above which were succesfully used 8 character names and therefore did not have this problem.

Probably that is a work around you could use for now. Make sure you have 8 char names used in your set up.

> Is this a known issue? Is there anyway around it

A quick googling didn't show up anything suggesting if this is a known limimation or issue. Perhaps a good candidate for a problem report that you could raise with IBM.
                        • SystemAdmin
                          SystemAdmin
                          308 Posts
                          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-07-13T06:57:57Z  in response to gogol
                          Thanks for your response. I also looked with Google's help and didn't find anything.

Will look into raising a ticket with IBM.
                          • gogol
                            gogol
                            75 Posts
                            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-12-05T17:28:09Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                            Apparently this problem is fixed in TXSeries 7.1 Fixpack 3, through APAR IZ95477.

Check it out in here in the Fixpack 3 details page.