Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2011-06-19T15:06:39Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
53 Posts

Pinned topic ODBC Connection Issues

‏2011-05-31T13:52:15Z |
I am trying to submit data to a DB using eforms. I have set up an ODBC connection and I can link cells in eforms to table columns. Test connection to the DB is also successful.

I have also included the following in the eforms-preferences.xml file

<?xml version=”1.0″
encoding=”UTF-8″?>
<preferences>
<sql>
<connection
dsn=”odbc_name”
driver=”sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver”
user=”user” password=”password”
url=”jdbc:odbc:odbc_name”>
</connection>
</sql>
</preferences>

However, when I submit the form in Workplace, I get the error

:MicrosoftODBC Driver Manager Data source name not found and no default driver specified.

What else do I need to do?
Updated on 2011-06-19T15:06:39Z at 2011-06-19T15:06:39Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    53 Posts

Re: ODBC Connection Issues

‏2011-06-15T14:15:57Z  
    It sounds like you;re trying to configure the ODBC connection from eForms Designer to be used in a form template deployed in FileNet P8. If that is the case then:

This is actually a hybrid connection. While eForms Designer lets you configure an ODBC connection in the form template to test locally from your desktop, ODBC is not supported on the P8 web application server. Therefore, the ODBC connection has to be translated into a JDBC connection.

When you configure the ODBC connection locally on your desktop you define the parameters and the DSN name in the Data Source (ODBC) control panel. You then enter only the DSN name into the form template when you configure the form. In order for the web application to understand this you must configure the preferences XML as you indicate below. However, the XML information on the server must map to an installed JDBC driver on the application server. If there is no appropriate driver on the server you will get the kind of error you report.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    53 Posts

‏2011-06-18T17:07:57Z  
    It sounds like you;re trying to configure the ODBC connection from eForms Designer to be used in a form template deployed in FileNet P8. If that is the case then:

This is actually a hybrid connection. While eForms Designer lets you configure an ODBC connection in the form template to test locally from your desktop, ODBC is not supported on the P8 web application server. Therefore, the ODBC connection has to be translated into a JDBC connection.

When you configure the ODBC connection locally on your desktop you define the parameters and the DSN name in the Data Source (ODBC) control panel. You then enter only the DSN name into the form template when you configure the form. In order for the web application to understand this you must configure the preferences XML as you indicate below. However, the XML information on the server must map to an installed JDBC driver on the application server. If there is no appropriate driver on the server you will get the kind of error you report.
    Yes creating a JDBC connection did the trick.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    53 Posts

‏2011-06-18T17:11:39Z  
    Yes creating a JDBC connection did the trick.
    I have another question. How do we port an eform to the different environment? Do we have to create new JDBC connections in the eform if we move to a different environment as the connect string would change?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    53 Posts

‏2011-06-19T15:06:39Z  
    I have another question. How do we port an eform to the different environment? Do we have to create new JDBC connections in the eform if we move to a different environment as the connect string would change?
    The JDBC connection syntax is given below in case someone wants to know.

jdbc:microsoft:sqlserver://servername:portno;DatabaseName=databasename

com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver