Topic
  • 11 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-05-30T17:46:01Z by Nancy Wheeler
BobHoward
BobHoward
2 Posts

Pinned topic Installing APL2 in Windows 7 - old service level

‏2011-05-29T13:39:29Z |
I have APL2 version 2, service level 8, and I recently moved to Windows 7.
I was able to install the origiapnal distribution from the CD in XP Mode.
When I tried to apply service level 8, I got the error
"apl2wsl8.exe is not a valid Win32 application"

Is there a workaround for this problem? I am guessing that the issue lies with InstallShield rather than with the APL2 files.
Updated on 2013-01-22T18:24:02Z at 2013-01-22T18:24:02Z by Nancy Wheeler
  • Nancy Wheeler
    Nancy Wheeler
    62 Posts

Re: Installing APL2 in Windows 7 - old service level

‏2011-05-31T16:54:49Z  
    Hi Bob,

You are correct, the problem lies in the old release of Installshield we were using at the time the level you have was built.

This problem was corrected in Service Level 11, but if your base installation image is lower than that level it will not install on 64-bit Windows systems.

In order to get a new base image you would have to have an active service contract. Assuming you don't, you have two alternatives, you can reinstate your service contract by contacting the IBM Passport Advantage program, or you can do an "unofficial" installation of the product by copying the APL2 directory in its entirety from your old machine to the new one, establishing the correct PATH and other environment variables needed to run APL2, installing the APL2 fonts into the system font directory manually, and creating any desktop icons you wish to have. There is information in the APL2 User's Guide on what environment variables are needed and how to install the fonts.

Nancy Wheeler
    APL Products and Services
  • Nancy Wheeler
    Nancy Wheeler
    62 Posts

‏2011-05-31T17:03:06Z  
    Sorry, I gave the "standard answer" about this issue without reading closely enough.

If you were able to use XP mode to get the base image installed then I do not understand why the service image would not install in that same mode. The Installshield level was the same for both.
    Are you sure when you tried to install the Service Level 8 image you were using exact the same mode and same userid that you used for the original install?

In any case, if the problem persists then my advice is the same. You can reinstate your service contract and get a new base image at the latest service level (18) or copy the more up-to-date files from your old machine into the new one. You have the advantage that the environment variables and font installation would have already been done by the base install.

Nancy Wheeler
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    65 Posts

‏2012-10-04T16:28:42Z  
    Got a new PC in a lab with Windows 7, and tried to install Service Level 19 (the latest) from the IBM Academic Initiative. I installed it from an administrative id for use by other users. The IBM APL2 - Install Shield Wizard under "APL2 installation context" even has the option "Install APL2 for current user only" for which I carefully UNCHECKED the box.

BUT when I log in to the non-admin user id on the PC, there's no sign of APL2!

I just did an installation on a PC with Windows XP, and the installation, under the admin id, went fine. There was NO option offered to install for the current user only, but when I logged on with the user (non-admin) id, APL2 was right there.

So the installation of Service Level 19 went fine under XP, but under Windows 7 APL2 showed up ONLY for the admin user who installed it, and not for the non-admin user for which it's intended.

(From the non-admin user account I was able to SEARCH programs for APL2 and hack together a shortcut to start APL2. But it does not show up in the list of programs above "START". I don't know how to get to the "IBM APL2" "object" which opens a window full of shortcuts to docs, readmes, file editor and the like.
  • Nancy Wheeler
    Nancy Wheeler
    62 Posts

‏2012-10-04T17:55:34Z  
    Got a new PC in a lab with Windows 7, and tried to install Service Level 19 (the latest) from the IBM Academic Initiative. I installed it from an administrative id for use by other users. The IBM APL2 - Install Shield Wizard under "APL2 installation context" even has the option "Install APL2 for current user only" for which I carefully UNCHECKED the box.

BUT when I log in to the non-admin user id on the PC, there's no sign of APL2!

I just did an installation on a PC with Windows XP, and the installation, under the admin id, went fine. There was NO option offered to install for the current user only, but when I logged on with the user (non-admin) id, APL2 was right there.

So the installation of Service Level 19 went fine under XP, but under Windows 7 APL2 showed up ONLY for the admin user who installed it, and not for the non-admin user for which it's intended.

(From the non-admin user account I was able to SEARCH programs for APL2 and hack together a shortcut to start APL2. But it does not show up in the list of programs above "START". I don't know how to get to the "IBM APL2" "object" which opens a window full of shortcuts to docs, readmes, file editor and the like.
    Hi Curtis,

I am afraid you are in uncharted territory here. I do not know of anyone else doing this multiple-userid thing...
    I myself have only gotten a Windows 7 machine recently, and I have not created multiple userids on that machine yet.

It is likely that our installation program has a bug, I will look into it but until we ship another level I am afraid you are stuck with manual repair options, using Windows facilities. I think that probably with judicious use of Windows Explorer you could move the APL2 entry in "Start Programs" from the "current user" section to the "All users" section.
    (start by right-clicking on the "start" button and choose "Explore".....use the Admin userid to do this of course)

If you don't feel comfortable enough in Windows to do this, perhaps there is someone who is comfortable enough there who could assist you?

Sorry I don't have an easy answer.

Regards,
    Nancy Wheeler
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    65 Posts

‏2012-10-31T14:06:28Z  
    Hi Curtis,

I am afraid you are in uncharted territory here. I do not know of anyone else doing this multiple-userid thing...
    I myself have only gotten a Windows 7 machine recently, and I have not created multiple userids on that machine yet.

It is likely that our installation program has a bug, I will look into it but until we ship another level I am afraid you are stuck with manual repair options, using Windows facilities. I think that probably with judicious use of Windows Explorer you could move the APL2 entry in "Start Programs" from the "current user" section to the "All users" section.
    (start by right-clicking on the "start" button and choose "Explore".....use the Admin userid to do this of course)

If you don't feel comfortable enough in Windows to do this, perhaps there is someone who is comfortable enough there who could assist you?

Regards,
    Nancy Wheeler
    Curtis and Nancy,

I have confirmed that the Workstation APL2 installer does not correctly enable access to APL2 for other userids on Windows 7 even if the "Install APL2 for current user only" option is not checked. However, all is not lost. You can still access the APL2 executables from other userids.

First, you can copy the start menu data to a place where all users can see it. The installer will have put the start menu entry in a place like this:

C:\Users\Administator\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Move the IBM APL2 entry to here:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

If you use Configure APL2, the apl2.ini file will be written in a place like this:

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming

Note: This location will NOT be visible to userids that do not have administrator authority. (Ain't Microsoft grand? :-)

Finally, when you shut down APL2, it will by default try to write the session log to the current directory which is usually Program Files\ibmapl2w\bin. Users can not write to this directory unless they have administrator authority. To circumvent this problem, use the session manager's File/Log/Save As... choice to save the log in a location to which you have access. I usually set up a directory in My Documents called APL2 Session Logs. You only have to save the log manually once; the session manager will remember and reuse the selected location.

Hope this helps.

David Liebtag
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    65 Posts

‏2013-01-19T16:53:23Z  
    Hi Bob,

You are correct, the problem lies in the old release of Installshield we were using at the time the level you have was built.

This problem was corrected in Service Level 11, but if your base installation image is lower than that level it will not install on 64-bit Windows systems.

In order to get a new base image you would have to have an active service contract. Assuming you don't, you have two alternatives, you can reinstate your service contract by contacting the IBM Passport Advantage program, or you can do an "unofficial" installation of the product by copying the APL2 directory in its entirety from your old machine to the new one, establishing the correct PATH and other environment variables needed to run APL2, installing the APL2 fonts into the system font directory manually, and creating any desktop icons you wish to have. There is information in the APL2 User's Guide on what environment variables are needed and how to install the fonts.

Nancy Wheeler
    Hello Nany,

I read your note on installing APL2 in Windows 7 - very useful. I followed your recommendations concerning copying fonts, the APL2 software, the icons and now I can run my program, that has been in use almost daily for many years on a new 64 bit PC running Windows 8. Furthermore, the program can be called from a windows 8 tile.

Thank you for your support in all theses years!

Best regards (from a retired IBMer)

Hans R. Schindler
    Wildenbühlstrasse 40
    CH -8135 Langnau
    Switzerland
    E-Mail: hschind@attglobal.net
  • Nancy Wheeler
    Nancy Wheeler
    62 Posts

‏2013-01-22T18:24:02Z  
    Hello Nany,

I read your note on installing APL2 in Windows 7 - very useful. I followed your recommendations concerning copying fonts, the APL2 software, the icons and now I can run my program, that has been in use almost daily for many years on a new 64 bit PC running Windows 8. Furthermore, the program can be called from a windows 8 tile.

Thank you for your support in all theses years!

Best regards (from a retired IBMer)

Hans R. Schindler
    Wildenbühlstrasse 40
    CH -8135 Langnau
    Switzerland
    E-Mail: hschind@attglobal.net
    Thank you Hans!

Nancy Wheeler
  • Nancy Wheeler
    Nancy Wheeler
    62 Posts

‏2013-04-19T18:26:12Z  
    Hi Curtis,

Regards,
    Nancy Wheeler

Hi Curtis,

The problems with the All-Users vs. Single User installation on Windows 7 have been fixed in Service level 20. 

However, please note that the fix will only be evident on new installs.  If you install Service Level 20 on top of Service Level 19, the directories and other locations that were used in that install will be unchanged. If you want to take advantage of the fix, you must first completely delete APL2 from the system, including any customizations you might have done to get around the problem, then re-install with Level 20.  

Regards,
    Nancy Wheeler

• APLCruncher
    APLCruncher
    3 Posts

‏2013-04-20T21:48:24Z  

Hi Curtis,

The problems with the All-Users vs. Single User installation on Windows 7 have been fixed in Service level 20. 

However, please note that the fix will only be evident on new installs.  If you install Service Level 20 on top of Service Level 19, the directories and other locations that were used in that install will be unchanged. If you want to take advantage of the fix, you must first completely delete APL2 from the system, including any customizations you might have done to get around the problem, then re-install with Level 20.  

Regards,
    Nancy Wheeler

Nancy, David,

Thank you for the advice to remove the changes I made to my installation before installing Service Level 20.  I think you saved me much grief!  The installation of Service Level 20 went well.  Curtis

• winni10101
    winni10101
    4 Posts

‏2013-05-26T04:00:51Z  

Hi All

I have a question about how I can get the source code from a APL workspace.

I can change a APL workspace (for example, file.dws) to the unicode, but it is difficult to analyze it.

And I had searched that we can use a some ways to change it to ASCII, but I do not know how to do this.

So, do you have some solutions about how can I get the source code (just like the C++ and JAVA) ?

thank you !

• Nancy Wheeler
    Nancy Wheeler
    62 Posts

‏2013-05-30T17:46:01Z  

Hi All

I have a question about how I can get the source code from a APL workspace.

I can change a APL workspace (for example, file.dws) to the unicode, but it is difficult to analyze it.

And I had searched that we can use a some ways to change it to ASCII, but I do not know how to do this.

So, do you have some solutions about how can I get the source code (just like the C++ and JAVA) ?

thank you !

This question is a duplicate, I have answered it in the other thread where it was appended (Workstation APL2 2.0 Service Level 20)

Nancy Wheeler
    IBM