4 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-05-20T01:33:16Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
462 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic iSeries, Trouble creating any profiles in Websphere v8 Beta

‏2011-05-18T09:05:14Z |
Hi there,
I am new to forums, so please forgive my ignorance.

Working on IBM i (iseries) i have just installed the beta version of websphere 8.
The App Server side seems to be installed ok.

However, I am unable to create any profiles. (either default or otherwise)
Using the suggested examples from the help text with my own mods where appropriate:

Running the following command using the QSECOFR user profile inside QSHELL.

==================
manageprofiles -create -portsFile
/QIBM/ProdData/WebSphere/AppServer/V8/BASE/profileTemplates/default/actions/portsUpdate/portdef.props -samplesPassword password -serverName server1 -nodeName myhost -hostName myhost.abc.com
-cellName myhost -adminUserName wasadmin -adminPassword password
-templatePath /QIBM/ProdData/WebSphere/AppServer/V8/BASE/profileTemplates/default
-enableAdminSecurity true -profileName default
==================
Adding or changing a few parms to try different things all seems to come up with the same result.
I then get a little lost in the stack trace at this point. ;-)

The last entry if my list of errors are as follows:

==================
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: The platform metadata area could not be written: /temp/osgi_instance_location/qsecofr/1380622979/.metadata. By default the platform writes its content under the current working directory when the platform is launched.
Use the -data parameter to specify a different content area for the platform.
at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.DataArea.assertLocationInitialized(DataArea.java:61)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.DataArea.getStateLocation(DataArea.java:120)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.getStateLocation(InternalPlatform.java:606)
etc...
==================
The stack trace is long and distinguished. Each entry seems to take me down a different rabbit hole searching for what may be the actual cause/solution.

I try running the manageprofiles command from the home directory, from the temp directory, from anywhere I can think of... but always with the same result.

If anyone else on iSeries has any suggestions or guidance about how I can get through this, I would really appreciate it.

Cheers,
GlynnO (Eckles)
Updated on 2011-05-20T01:33:16Z at 2011-05-20T01:33:16Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    462 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: iSeries, Trouble creating any profiles in Websphere v8 Beta

‏2011-05-18T18:48:37Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hello,

I understand java.lang.IllegalStateException is being thrown when you attempt to create a server profile. I'd like to help resolve the problem.

First we need to determine where your WebSphere Application Server product is installed. We'll call that WAS_HOME. If WAS_HOME is /QIBM/ProdData/WebSphere/AppServer/V8/BASE then /QIBM/ProdData/WebSphere/AppServer/V8/BASE/bin is the directory containing the manageprofiles script you invoked when the error occurred. If /QIBM/ProdData/WebSphere/AppServer/V8/BASE is not the correct value for WAS_HOME, then determine WAS_HOME based on the full pathname of the manageprofiles script you invoked.

Next, please zip up and send me the following:
    1. file /QIBM/UserData/InstallationManagerWS_Beta/installed.xml
    2. the entire contents of the /QIBM/UserData/InstallationManagerWS_Beta/logs directory.
    3. the entire contents of the <was.install.os400.profile.location>/profileRegistry/logs/manageprofiles directory where <was.install.os400.profile.location> is determined by
    looking in the installed.xml file for the location record where path is set to the WAS_HOME value determined above. The value of <was.install.os400.profile.location> is determined by finding the value of the was.install.os400.profile.location property within that location record.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      462 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-05-18T18:51:38Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Please send the files to ldhallatusdotibmdotcom. Thanks.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        462 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-05-19T13:51:42Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        I received your log files and didn't see any errors or anything else unusual. I think perhaps the problem is caused by inadequate permission to the data area in /temp. The manageprofiles command swaps to the QEJBSVR user profile, and I suspect that QEBJSVR does not have read/execute (*RX) permission to /temp or perhaps some other directory in the path for /temp/osgi_instance_location/qsecofr/1380622979/.metadata. Usually, *PUBLIC has *RX permission to /temp. Our code should be explicitly setting permission for QEJBSVR from osgi_instance_location on down. Please check permission to /temp and add *RX permission for QEJBSVR if needed, then try to create a profile again.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          462 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-05-20T01:33:16Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Hi Larry,

Wow, thank you so much for your help on this.

Giving QEJBSVR authority to the /temp folder made all the difference. I had checked that QSECOFR had authority because that was where I was thinking the problem was. Never realising that it would swap users on me half way through the process. ;-)

I now have a Server1 Profile that I can work with and see if I can get a little bit further with all this.

Appreciate all your help.

Cheers,
          GlynnO (Eckles)