Topic
  • 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-08-13T13:25:06Z by SR7W_Kristian_Ashton
sfb
sfb
8 Posts

Pinned topic OLE displaying as an icon when I want the image

‏2011-05-16T18:29:31Z |
Does anyone know why inserting an OLE sometimes results in an icon and sometimes results in an image? I do not check the box for 'Display as Icon'. Example, if I insert a .doc file or .xls file, the image appears but if I insert a .png file or .bmp file, the icon appears.

The problem extends into exporting the DOORS module to Word. Word displays exactly what DOORS displays...the icon instead of the image. Even RPE (IBM Rational Publishing Engine) is printing the icon instead of the image.
Updated on 2012-07-20T16:41:06Z at 2012-07-20T16:41:06Z by llandale
  • jdoucement
    jdoucement
    4 Posts

Re: OLE displaying as an icon when I want the image

‏2011-05-26T14:55:06Z  
    It looks like your .png files are not recognized as OLE.
    Try to paste your pictures in Word and convert them into OLE objects.
    If you're using T-REK, use the dedicated VB macro.
    Otherwise, have fun with Word ;o)

Cheers,

Jean
  • dnmel0
    dnmel0
    3 Posts

‏2012-05-23T00:12:47Z  
    Sandy,

Did you manage to find a resolution to this problem?

We have recently upgraded fro DOORS 9.0 to 9.3 and now some users are experiencing this problem with png files (and possibly other file types).

Strangely enough there was no problem when they were working in 9.0

Dan
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    346 Posts

‏2012-07-16T20:28:51Z  
    • dnmel0
    • ‏2012-05-23T00:12:47Z
    Sandy,

Did you manage to find a resolution to this problem?

We have recently upgraded fro DOORS 9.0 to 9.3 and now some users are experiencing this problem with png files (and possibly other file types).

Strangely enough there was no problem when they were working in 9.0

Dan
    -... fyi ...-
    We have now run up against this OLE issue as well.
    If user pc is updated to Windows 7 and DOORS v9.3.0.7, and the user opens any module that contains an OLE object which is of static picture only, the OLE object is displayed as an icon and cannot be handled with any of the DOORS v9.3.0.7 exports or edits, copy etc.
    No matter what you do it stays as an icon.

Weird thing is if Windows XP pc with DOORS v9.1.0.3 or DOORS v9.3.0.7 then the OLE object is displayed as the picture as it was placed into DOORS.

This is a HUGE issue since the only work around is to keep a Windows XP pc handy which can then work with any of the problem OLE's is discovered by use of Windows 7 & DOORS v9.3.0.7.
    Right now a person has to go manually through all Database modules and find which OLE pictures are static OLE object and then export to Word 2007 change to a full OLE object and then reimport back into the DOORS module on a pc with Windows XP and either DOORS v9.1.0.3 or DOORS v9.3.0.7. Since there are untold 1,000 thands of OLE's now, this is going to take a VERY long time to fix....

And now the whining begins by the DOORS database manager users and also the standard users who now see nothing but icons where a OLE picture object should be...

I digress.... will these bugs never end between DOORS clients and Windows clients????...

gsdguy... :(
  • dnmel0
    dnmel0
    3 Posts

‏2012-07-16T23:13:09Z  
    gsdguy,

I raised a service request for this issue and the solution was the users affected by this problem needed to downgrade their DOORS version to 9.3.0.5 and it worked without any problem.

It's not ideal but it sounds better than the work around you've got in place at the moment.

Dan.
  • dnmel0
    dnmel0
    3 Posts

‏2012-07-16T23:13:19Z  
    gsdguy,

I raised a service request for this issue and the solution was the users affected by this problem needed to downgrade their DOORS version to 9.3.0.5 and it worked without any problem.

It's not ideal but it sounds better than the work around you've got in place at the moment.

Dan.
  • llandale
    llandale
    252 Posts

‏2012-07-20T16:41:06Z  
    -... fyi ...-
    We have now run up against this OLE issue as well.
    If user pc is updated to Windows 7 and DOORS v9.3.0.7, and the user opens any module that contains an OLE object which is of static picture only, the OLE object is displayed as an icon and cannot be handled with any of the DOORS v9.3.0.7 exports or edits, copy etc.
    No matter what you do it stays as an icon.

Weird thing is if Windows XP pc with DOORS v9.1.0.3 or DOORS v9.3.0.7 then the OLE object is displayed as the picture as it was placed into DOORS.

This is a HUGE issue since the only work around is to keep a Windows XP pc handy which can then work with any of the problem OLE's is discovered by use of Windows 7 & DOORS v9.3.0.7.
    Right now a person has to go manually through all Database modules and find which OLE pictures are static OLE object and then export to Word 2007 change to a full OLE object and then reimport back into the DOORS module on a pc with Windows XP and either DOORS v9.1.0.3 or DOORS v9.3.0.7. Since there are untold 1,000 thands of OLE's now, this is going to take a VERY long time to fix....

And now the whining begins by the DOORS database manager users and also the standard users who now see nothing but icons where a OLE picture object should be...

I digress.... will these bugs never end between DOORS clients and Windows clients????...

gsdguy... :(
    I wonder if that chore is somehow faster if you temporarily deploy and older DOORS client version and adjust all OLE diagrams so they WILL display properly in the newer version.
  • SR7W_Kristian_Ashton
    1 Post

‏2013-08-13T13:25:06Z  
    • dnmel0
    • ‏2012-07-16T23:13:19Z
    gsdguy,

Dan.

Hi all,

we have been having exactly the same problems and, at least for us, we have found a fix after searching a lot on the net.

Although it sounds strange, we installed the old Microsoft Photo Editor from either OfficeXP or Office 2000 and then suddenly we could see our OLE images in DOORS. This worked, even though we also have Office 2010 installed and works on Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 R2 server (which is basically similar to Windows 7).

Hope that helps.

Kristian.