Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-06-21T17:39:42Z by j.gann
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
69 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic HACMP: Manipulating Application servers a resource group

‏2011-05-12T22:42:46Z |
We are in the process of migrating some clustered apps fron Sun Cluster to HACMP. In Sun cluster one single RG contains multiple of applications which are considered resources that can be manipulated ( bringing offline/online/unmanaged) individually without having to manupulte the whole RG.
I do not see a way do that in HACMP ...it appears in order to be able to manipulate each app individually , there's a need a create an RG for each app and manipulation has happen at RG level .

Not sure if I am missing something in terms of HACMP capabilty. We have numerous scripts ( apps) , close to 100 , that need to be managed invidually under cluster control ...is there a way put them in single resource group and still manage them individually ?

Thanks
Updated on 2011-06-21T17:39:42Z at 2011-06-21T17:39:42Z by j.gann
  • Claudio
    Claudio
    21 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: HACMP: Manipulating Application servers a resource group

‏2011-05-13T13:49:04Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    You're correct manipulation (bringing online/offline/unmanaged) occurs at the Resource Group level in PowerHA.
    The operation that you can do for the single Application Server is to Suspend/Resume Application Monitoring (if you configured it).
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    69 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-05-13T17:54:05Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Can anyone share some thoughts to work around this issue in migrating form Sun Cluster to PowerHA ?
    Under Sun Cluster I have 50+ resources ( essentially , Application Servers in PowerHA terms) in a single resources group and it offers the capability to manipulation of each of the app/resources individually.

In order to have the same manipulation capabilty in PowerHA , we have to create as many RGs as the apps ...this appears a somewhat crude solution. Is there a PowerHA fuctionality that can leveraged and the the scenario re-engineered to have similar functional capabilties ?
    Another solution may be to have Veritas Cluster on AIX ...that's going to be big hassle involving roadmap/strategy changes and budgets etc.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    69 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-20T17:37:43Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Has anyone had a similare situation ? Will appreciate ahreing of some some thoughts ...I do not see any work-around other that doing "extensive" scripting in the monitor to be able to handle discrete/grouped pieces within the application
    • j.gann
      j.gann
      20 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-21T17:39:42Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      why do you want an app monitor in the first place?