Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2011-05-12T07:01:56Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
462 Posts

Pinned topic Wrong persmissonbits in InstallationManager filesystem.

‏2011-05-11T09:08:07Z |
Hi!

I have recently installed InstallationManager on z/OS with the groupinstc command via job GIN2INST.
After that I run job GIN3INST to installa WebSphere Application Server under my user id.
The job abends with the following error
CRIMC798708E4E ERROR: Unable to access the agent data location for the Installation Manager /global/wimtst1/InstallationManager/appdata. Ensure that you have at least read and write permissions to the agent data location and re-launch the Installation Manager.
00:01.91 ERROR Ýmain¨ com.ibm.cic.agent.internal.application.HeadlessApplication run
Unable to access the agent data location for the Installation Manager /global/wimtst1/InstallationManager/appdata. Ensure that you have at least read and write permissions to the agent data location and re-launch the Installation Manager.

The permission bits on /global/wimtst1/InstallationManager/appdata are 755 and the owner and group are IMWADM IMWGRP, so only the owner of this directory(IMWADM) is alowed to write here, which is why the job abends, since I run the job under my userid(which is a memeber of group IMWGRP)
Shouldn't the permission bits be 775 allowing for members of group IMWGRP to write to the directory?
My question is, why didn't the groupsinstc command set the correct permissionbits(775) for this directory during installation of InstallationManager?
That would allow for users beloning to the group IMWGRP(such as myself) to write to the directory.

Kind regards
Kattis
Updated on 2011-05-12T07:01:56Z at 2011-05-12T07:01:56Z by SystemAdmin
  • jmierze
    jmierze
    43 Posts

Re: Wrong persmissonbits in InstallationManager filesystem.

‏2011-05-11T11:43:17Z  
    Kattis,

Unfortunately, Installation Manager does not do this at the present time. Instead, the customer (on any platform, not just z/OS) is expected to set the permissions mask (umask) if group mode is desired. So for now, we recommend that you either issue the umask 002 command before invoking any Installation Manager command, including the initial install, or put a umask 002 command in $HOME/.profile for each user ID that will invoke a group-mode Installation Manager.

This is documented in the Installation Manager information center, but we will also add the following to the comments in the GIN2ADMN job:

//* If your Installation Manager will run in group mode, then you *
    //* should also set umask to 002 (umask 002) before invoking the *
    //* Installation Manager from this user ID, to ensure that all *
    //* files are directories are created with group-write permissions. *
    //* If you invoke Installation Manager from a batch job or from *
    //* scripting, you should create a file named .profile in the user *
    //* ID's home directory (if it does not already exist) containing *
    //* the command "umask 002". *
    //* *

Jeff Mierzejewski
    WebSphere Application Server for z/OS Installation and Customization
    jmierze@us.ibm.com
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    462 Posts

Re: Wrong persmissonbits in InstallationManager filesystem.

‏2011-05-12T07:01:56Z  
    Hi!
    Thank you for your quick reply. My bad then, for not reading the manual properly.

Kind regards
    Katarina