Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2011-07-06T13:46:29Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
49 Posts

Pinned topic Recommended Method of Upgrade from AppScan Source 7 -> AppScan Source 8

‏2011-05-09T13:36:21Z |
Hello,

We are planning to upgrade from AppScan Source 7 to AppScan Source 8 soon. We need to know how IBM recommends we do this. Do you have a guide that can help me? Here is a brief overview of our environment:

Multiple AppScan Source 7 Cores (full install of SA, Core, DBwe use built-in solidDB, CLI) on Windows 2003 Server. All data must be migrated when the upgrade to version 8 occurs. This includes users, rules, shared filters, etc.
Should we back up the database, uninstall version 7, install version 8, then restore the database somehow? If so, how? Or do we just begin the version 8 installer, which will recognize that version 7 is installed and upgrade everything, including the database. Does this method leave behind "garbage" files that are no longer needed?

Many user workstations that contain a variety of configurations, each can be on Windows XP or Windows 7:
Full install (SA, Core, DB, CLI, Plugins for Eclipse/VS)
Security Analyst install (SA, CLI, Plugins for Eclipse/VS)
Developer install (Plugins for Eclipse/VS)

In each of these cases, what is the method of upgrading? For example, do we need to uninstall plugins before installing version 8? Do we uninstall version 7 or install version 8 "on top" of version 7? As above, how do we migrate the database from version 7 to version 8 in the "full install"?

Thank you very much for any information you can provide!
Updated on 2011-07-06T13:46:29Z at 2011-07-06T13:46:29Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    49 Posts

Re: Recommended Method of Upgrade from AppScan Source 7 -> AppScan Source 8

‏2011-05-09T18:00:40Z  
    Hi Hoy,

I received your question and am checking for suitable documentation and guidance. I'll get back to you ASAP.

/eh
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    49 Posts

‏2011-05-09T18:02:27Z  
    Hi Hoy,

I received your question and am checking for suitable documentation and guidance. I'll get back to you ASAP.

/eh
    Thanks, Eric!
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    49 Posts

‏2011-05-11T21:12:24Z  
    Thanks, Eric!
    The recommended upgrade procedure is reasonably straightforward:

1. Make a backup of the Core database (just in case), using the standard database tools.
    2. Uninstall the plug-ins for Eclipse-based IDEs (including both Developer and Rememdiation plugins). It is not necessary to uninstall the Visual Studio IDE plugins.
    3. Upgrade your Core by simply running the AppScan Source 8.0.0.1 setup program - it will automatically update the software, and your users, Custom Rules, and Scan Rules will be preserved.
    4. Update all other systems by simply running the setup program and selecting the appropriate options.

Note that there is an option to create a "custom installer" which is documented in the Installation_and_Administration_Guide.pdf (in your Start Menu or in the product's /doc directory). Using this, you can basically create an install script, which can then be used to distribute software updates via some kind of enterprise software management system (like Microsoft SMS for example).

/eh
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    49 Posts

‏2011-07-06T13:46:29Z  
    The recommended upgrade procedure is reasonably straightforward:

1. Make a backup of the Core database (just in case), using the standard database tools.
    2. Uninstall the plug-ins for Eclipse-based IDEs (including both Developer and Rememdiation plugins). It is not necessary to uninstall the Visual Studio IDE plugins.
    3. Upgrade your Core by simply running the AppScan Source 8.0.0.1 setup program - it will automatically update the software, and your users, Custom Rules, and Scan Rules will be preserved.
    4. Update all other systems by simply running the setup program and selecting the appropriate options.

Note that there is an option to create a "custom installer" which is documented in the Installation_and_Administration_Guide.pdf (in your Start Menu or in the product's /doc directory). Using this, you can basically create an install script, which can then be used to distribute software updates via some kind of enterprise software management system (like Microsoft SMS for example).

/eh
    Eric,

I never said thank you for this information. It was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks :)