Topic
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-07-06T14:30:21Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
2364 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic The horror of trying to get IBM Softcopy Reader running on Ubuntu 10.10...

‏2011-04-29T12:08:38Z |
Friday, April 29 2011

Greetings

IBM Softcopy Reader is supposedly a Java based program.

I cannot get it to work on Ubuntu 10.10

On Ubuntu 10.10, when I attempt to run the downloaded programs

./hlcb.sh or ./hlcs.sh These are the results:

./hlcb.sh
my_system:~/Desktop/ibm$ wine client error:3c: version mismatch 248/213.
Your wine binary was not upgraded correctly,
or you have an older one somewhere in your PATH.
Or maybe the wrong wineserver is still running?

./hlcs.sh
my_system:~/Desktop/ibm$ wine client error:39: version mismatch 248/213.
Your wine binary was not upgraded correctly,
or you have an older one somewhere in your PATH.
Or maybe the wrong wineserver is still running?

It appears that the IBM SoftCopy Readere will not operate in a native Linux environment but instead must rely on Wine...

The version of Softcopy I am using is Version is 1.3.1 of BUILD/VM Version: UG03924 DropDate: Monday December 5 2005. Anyone out there able to get the IBM Softcopy Reader running in a native Linux Java environment?

Regards,
Updated on 2011-07-06T14:30:21Z at 2011-07-06T14:30:21Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2364 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: The horror of trying to get IBM Softcopy Reader running on Ubuntu 10.10...

‏2011-04-29T15:44:12Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 (I need to try out 11.4 soon.)

I tried to recreate your problem on my system. I downloaded the Linux version of the reader from the IBM Softcopy Reader home page which was a .tgz file. I extracted that to a directory called $HOME/tmp/IBMSoftcopyReader. I went into the sys directory and tried to run it with ./hlcs.sh as you mentioned and it would not start.

Looking through the docs I found I need to set a variable. I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/tmp/IBMSoftcopyReader/sys and tried again. It came up OK. I looked at the system processes and did not see any indication of Wine.

The Java version showed as: IBM J9 VM (build 2.4, JRE 1.6.0 IBM J9 2.4 Linux x86-32 jvmxi3260sr9-20110203_74623 (JIT enabled, AOT enabled)

So... I was unable to recreate your problem. (Don't you hate when that happens? Me too!) When I look at my version number for the reader it's different from yours. Mine shows Version 3.7, Service Level S061807, Driver Level SCRV3_061807.

My guess is that you have an older version, which may have relied on Wine in some weird way. I don't know the product history, so I can't speak to that. I would download the latest version from the web site. Be sure to look through the release notes and set the environment variable as they indicate and see if that works better.

If that doesn't work, then we'll need to get into the usual questions:
    Which version of Ubuntu are you running?
    Which version of the JRE are you using?
    Can you confirm your version of the IBM Softcopy Reader?

I suspect that getting the latest from that site will fix you up.

Cheers!
    Chris
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      2364 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-05-02T13:31:23Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Greetings,

Thanks for the excellent response. Indeed, the setting of the variable "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" needs to be done, and can actually be done from within the shell scripts
      hlcb.sh and hlcs.sh. Sadly this did not get the silly things started.

I ended up "Actually having to read the documentation" (slinread.txt :^), which gave me a clue. There is a log file kept of what is going on in the script. This is located at:
      ~/.IBM/SCR/hlcb.log

Go to that directory and watch the fun as you try to start it...

~/.IBM/SCR$ tail -f hlcb.log

The significant error was:
      Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /opt/scr/sys/libhlcwam.so: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
      at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
      at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1750)
      at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1646)
      at java.lang.Runtime.load0(Runtime.java:787)
      at java.lang.Runtime.load(Runtime.java:775)
      at hlcBFrame.main(hlcBFrame.java:3866)
      Now, rooting around in the Ubuntu forums, I found a thread that helped me find libstdc++
      http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=870200

This got the GUI working, and I can open books. That is the good news.

The bad news is that when I do a search, as in open a book then use the magnifying glass widget and paste a word in (say "DTRIATTN") the book and the app abruptly close, with the following error on the console:

• glibc detected *** java: munmap_chunk(): invalid pointer: 0x009530f8 ***

This web site:
      http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=941917

Shows this syntax:

your_machine:/opt/scr/sys$ MALLOC_CHECK_=0 ./hlcb.sh

Which actually allows for searches....

1. Can this code be patched into the shell scripts?
      2. Where is "IBMsoftCopyReader.deb"?
      3. Wonder what other bugs we shall get to "enjoy" from IBM?

Regards,

Paul
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        2364 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-05-02T14:11:00Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        I would be happy to upload two files:

1. hlcb_ubuntu.sh contains the proper path and exports to allow the Book Reader hlcb.sh to work and search, and
        2. hlcs_ubuntu.sh which contains the modifications that allow the Shelf organizer hlcs.sh to work.

I would need to know how to upload to the IBM Developer Works site.

If I have the two files backwards I apologize in advance.

Regards,

Flintiii
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          2364 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-27T17:26:53Z  in response to SystemAdmin

Sorry for the delay.  I just saw this!

Sharing files is EASY in the developerWorks community.  Make sure that you have a developerWorks community login, which is freely available by going to the main page:  https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community

Then you have a few options.  From your own profile, you can upload and share files, pasting their links back in here.

You can also add a blog entry to the Real World Open Source group, and include the files as part of your entry.  There's also a Wiki there if that makes more sense to you.  The blog entry will come in as a draft, which I then approve for publishing.

Cheers!

Chris Walden

• SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            2364 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-07-06T14:30:21Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Greetings,

Even easier is to simply put the files up where they can be gotten at.

I may try to fool around with sharing files in the IBM space, but for the time being the files are available at:
            http://docbox.flint.com/~flint/ibm-softcopy-bookreader/

Enjoy,

Flint