Topic
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-04-21T14:05:06Z by dysonbags
dysonbags
dysonbags
24 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic CRIMCEB884626E ERROR

‏2011-04-21T10:55:56Z |
Trying to install the latest release of the WAS 8 Beta using Installation Manager on Z/OS. This is the command:

/APPL/TEST/IBM/InstallationManager/eclipse/tools/imcl install com.ibm.websphere.zOS.v80_8.0.0.20110225_2345 -installationDirectory /usr/lpp/zWebSphere/V8R0/ -sharedResourcesDirectory /APPL/TEST/ibm/InstallationManagerCache/ -repositories /usr/lpp/InstallationManagerRepository/HBBO800/repository.config -acceptLicense

and this is the error

CRIMCEB884626E ERROR: The Installation Manager cannot be started.The registry information does not exist or does not match with this executable.This may happen if you are trying to run Installation Manager installed by another user.
00:03.97 ERROR main com.ibm.cic.agent.internal.application.HeadlessApplication run
The Installation Manager cannot be started.The registry information does not exist or does not match with this executable.This may happen if you are trying to run Installation Manager installed by another user.

1. I've run this with the only 2 userids that could possibly have been used to install IM and got the same error message. Are there other reasons for this message. Searches on CRIMCEB884626E have turned up nothing.
2. This message implies that if I install IM, then my colleagues can't use it. Surely that can't be right? It's very restrictive.
3. I'm struggling to see the point of IM generally. SMP/E RECEIVE and APPLY works fine. This just seems to add an extra level of work and complexity. I have to do a load of work to keep IM up to date and then I have to download updates into IM and finally I have to run jobs to update WAS. Three steps where I used to have one. IM might be simpler on Windows, but not on Z/OS.
Updated on 2011-04-21T14:05:06Z at 2011-04-21T14:05:06Z by dysonbags
  • jmierze
    jmierze
    43 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: CRIMCEB884626E ERROR

‏2011-04-21T13:20:46Z  in response to dysonbags
    Although you probably only need one Installation Manager per system, you can have several. Each Installation Manager has a small registry file that points to the Installation Manager; when Installation Manager comes up, it checks the contents of this file to make sure everything is in place.

You didn't mention whether you installed Installation Manager in admin (superuser), nonadmin (single user), or group mode, and you don't sound entirely sure which user ID you used. So here's how to find out.

From the command you provided, we can see that the Installation Manager binaries are installed at

/APPL/TEST/IBM/InstallationManager

Most of the Installation Manager resides in the eclipse subdirectory, and the initial configuration file that Installation Manager uses at startup is in eclipse/configuration. So go to

/APPL/TEST/IBM/InstallationManager/eclipse/configuration

and look at the file config.ini. It is in ASCII, so either make a copy and convert it to EBCDIC for viewing on z/OS, or download it in binary to Windows - however you normally deal with ASCII files on z/OS. The contents should look like sometrthe following:

#Wed Apr 20 14:53:35 EDT 2011 osgi.launcherPath=/InstallationManager/bin/eclipse im.internal.version=1.4.3000.20110214_1521 osgi.instance.area=@noDefault cic.beta=WS_Beta org.eclipse.swt.accessibility.UseIA2=

false osgi.bundles=org.eclipse.equinox.common@2\:start, ... osgi.os=zos im.version=1.4.3 eclipse.product=com.ibm.cic.agent.ui.product cic.appDataLocation=/InstallationManager/appdata osgi.splashPath=platform\:/base/plugins/com.ibm.cic.agent.ui,... osgi.launcherIni=IBMIM osgi.ws=motif osgi.bundles.defaultStartLevel=5 osgi.arch=s390 cic.64bit.support=

The important line at this point is the one begining "cic.appDataLocation". This tells us where all of this Insatallation Manager's run-time data is. (You set it with -dataLocation when you created the Installation Manager.)

So cd to the data location, and look in the logs directories. You will see files like the following:

# cd /InstallationManager/appdata/logs # ls 20110420_1451.xml  index.xsl          

native index.xml          log.xsl            sample.properties #

There will be a log file in XML format for each time the Installation Manager has been invoked, beginning with the original command that installed it. The log files are in the form <datestamp>_<timestamp>.xml. In this example, thetre is only one.

You can EITHER download the log file(s) in binary to your workstation, along with the XML stylesheet log.xsl, put them in a common directory, and use a browser to view them; or view the log file on your z/OS system, using whatever tools you normally use to work with ASCII files.

Look in the very first log file lines like the following:

<message> <key>user.name:
    {0
    }, 
    {1
    }</key> <arg>IMADMIN</arg> <arg>non-administrator</arg> </message>

This will tell you the user ID that created the Installation Manager, and whether it was created in admin, non-admin, or group mode. (If you created the Installation Manager from a uid 0 user ID, then you may see the "canonical" uid 0 owner returned by RACF; this is OK.)

If the Installation Manager was created in admin mode, any superuser can invoke it. The registry file will be in

/etc/.ibm/registry

and named InstallationManagerWS_Beta.dat. It is in ASCII, and the contents point back to the Installation Manager binaries:

location=/InstallationManager/bin version=1.4.3 internalVersion=1.4.3000.20110214_1521 launcher=/InstallationManager/bin/eclipse/IBMIM

Checking for the presence and correcteness of the registry is how Installation Manager verifies it is running on the right system, and under an appropriate user ID.

If the Installation Manager was created in user (non-admin) mode, then the registry will be in the home directory of the user that created it:

$HOME/etc/.ibm/registry/InstallationManagerWS_Beta.dat

The contents will be the same as for admin mode. Only the user that created the Installation Manager will normally be able to use it.

So please go ahead and look in the the Installation Manager logs, and let me know what user ID and mode the Installation Manager is associated with. Then I can show you how to resolve any registry problems. (These usually result from trying to invoke an Installation Manager under the wrong user ID.)

To answer your other question: IBM Installation Manager allows for much finer control and integration of Unix applications than does SMP/E, and provides a common installer across the whole WebSphere family. In all honesty, once Installation Manager is set up, it is simpler to use than SMP/E, as I think you will see once you get the hang of it. We do recognize that learning to use the new installed takes effort on the part of our customers, and we will try to make this as straightforward as possible.

We appreciate your input. If you want to contact me directly to send information about this problem, feel free to use the email address below.

Jeff Mierzejewski
    WebSphere Application Server for z/OS Installation and Configuration
    jmierze@us.ibm.com
    • dysonbags
      dysonbags
      24 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: CRIMCEB884626E ERROR

‏2011-04-21T14:05:06Z  in response to jmierze
      Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the extensive help. I found the problem. We had to move the $HOME directory from the IMADMIN userid due to space problems. I didn't realise the files in there were so important (assumed they were all temporary work files - bad assumption). Once I copied them over to the new $HOME directory it all started working.

I expect you are right about Installation Manager. SMP/E was probably a complete minefield when I started. I just don't remember now.

Thanks again
      Cheers
      Graham