Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-04-01T22:04:15Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
228 Posts

Pinned topic Real filename from the resouce manager (OBJ_PATH and OBJ_FILENAME)

‏2011-04-20T17:38:33Z |
Is it possible, thru the APIs to get the OBJ_PATH and OBJ_FILENAME from the RMOBJECTS table for a Document part? Would it be save to do just an SQL call?

I am writing a program to export an entire system (730,000 items, 100 Gig) for importing into a new. The old system is a CM 8.2 system, and my export procedure goes through each itemtype, writes all the content to disk and a control file with metadata, and the name of the file. As I am running this on the old RM box, it is really just copying the file from one place to another. It would be great if I could just write where the file exists in the LBOSDATA directory to my control file, and have my loader program get it from there.

I see OBJ_PATH is an integer value that translates to the name of the folder under LBOSDATA

I ran a benchmark of dumping 10,000 docs, and the rate is about 230 per minute, which translates into 50 hours. Any suggestions on how to economize on time for this would be appreciated.
  • shahm
    shahm
    11 Posts

Re: Real filename from the resouce manager (OBJ_PATH and OBJ_FILENAME)

‏2011-04-20T22:31:23Z  
    This information is not exposed via the CM apis.

Are you doing export/import from one CM system to another? If so, have you considred doing remote migration?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    228 Posts

‏2011-04-21T13:48:23Z  
    • shahm
    • ‏2011-04-20T22:31:23Z
    This information is not exposed via the CM apis.

Are you doing export/import from one CM system to another? If so, have you considred doing remote migration?
    Yes, we are migrating from an old CM 8.2.0 system running on Windows Server 2000 (!) to a new 8.4.2 system running on Linux. I have done migrations from 8.3 to 8.4 with the guidance of D. Benson, but as upgrading the old to the point where those procedure would apply would be difficult, we were dumping the meta-data to a flat file along with the content. We already have the data model dumped (userids, UserGroups, ACL, Attrs and Itemtypes) via the APIs and restored on an 8.4.2 test system so we can inspect and export to an XML file for restoring on the new production.

So now I'm thinking of having my export procedure creating the flat file of doing an SQL command of something like:
    SELECT OBJ_PATH,OBJ_FILENAME from rmadmin.RMOBJECTS where OBJ_ITEM='<obj itemID>'

and writng to my flatfile a line such as:
    ICMBASE,<obj_path>/<obj_filename>

And give my import program the path for LBOSDATA on the old machine. The old machine only has simple documents with no folders, versioning, or multi-valued attributes.

Thoughts?
  • shahm
    shahm
    11 Posts

‏2011-04-21T18:45:08Z  
    It's hard to comment in detail on what you are proposing based on the info you have posted. Because of the potential complexities associated, we generally ask customers who are in need of doing such a move to engage with an ibm services team.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    228 Posts

‏2013-04-01T22:04:15Z  
    Hi,

Just wondering if you were able to solve the problem you have described and if not, how did you do it?

Thanks.