3 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-04-25T20:40:09Z by gambs
gambs
gambs
5 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic RHEL 6 Installation / Install Server Setup

‏2011-04-15T17:25:44Z |
Hello,

I've just started working with RHEL 6 on Power and might need a little guidance to proceed. I've done a basic install of RHEL 6 on Power (P5, in my case, but I assume P6 or P7 would yield the same result). However, there doesn't seem to be an option any more in the install process to specify which software is installed. I assumed it would then pick a default list and I could modify it after installation. However, the "default" install was extremely thin. So much so that I found it very difficult to get a network installation server (Kickstart) set up on this machine. I've read through Red Hat's documentation and have been doing this for years on RHEL 3-5.

Issues:
1) In Power, we always install via text mode (in my case, VNC isn't available and we have no graphics hardware). This seems to be part of the problem as the text installer is now different from the graphical installer.

2) After install, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to install additional software (i.e. no tool is loaded to handle it, yum isn't configured correctly and rpm -i always fails with dependency errors).

I'm considering building a Kickstart DVD which would specify the additional packages I need, but I can't believe this would be necessary every time we do a fresh install. From what I can tell, the default load is useless (many basic things are missing).

If someone else has done this and can point out what I'm doing wrong, I'd appreciate it. I need a bit more detail in what steps are required to get this server set up.

Thank you,

Robert
Updated on 2011-04-25T20:40:09Z at 2011-04-25T20:40:09Z by gambs
  • AntonBlanchard
    AntonBlanchard
    4 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: RHEL 6 Installation / Install Server Setup

‏2011-04-18T21:10:32Z  in response to gambs
    Yum has the ability to install groups of packages:

1. yum grouplist

1. yum groupinstall "Development tools"

If you don't have an existing yum repo you can loopback mount the install DVD and create a /etc/yum.repos.d/rhel6.repo that looks something like:

rhel6
    name=RHEL6
    baseurl=file:///mnt/rhel6
    enabled=1
    gpgcheck=0

I think you could also use RHN.
    • AntonBlanchard
      AntonBlanchard
      4 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-04-18T21:14:10Z  in response to AntonBlanchard
      The formatting was somewhat corrupted:

[rhel6] name=RHEL6 baseurl=file:
      ///mnt/rhel6 enabled=1 gpgcheck=0

• gambs
    gambs
    5 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-04-25T20:40:09Z  in response to gambs
    Hello,

Though this does not directly address the real problem, I tried this and it works great. Many thanks for your aid.