Topic
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-04-08T06:43:25Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
462 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Installation Manager: local vs. enterprise repository server

‏2011-04-06T11:32:45Z |
In order to plan our migration from WAS 6.1 to 8 (roughly 300 installations) I have several questions concerning the installation process.

In our present setup we use a solaris jumpstart server to transport the installation files of WebSpere to the node and start the actual installation/update with a finish (i.e. shell-) script. After the installation process is finished, the source files are deleted so they do not occupy disk space permanently.
While the initial installation is about 750 MB in size (+ additional 600 MB for a recent fixpack) the source files of WAS 8 Beta 3 allocate more than 5.5 GB. This clearly exceeds the limits of both disk and network capacity.

I understood that the Installation Manager supports the use of an enterprise http repository. In a testing environment it worked well (after I got familiar with the IBM Packaging Utility :-)), but setting up a repository will require sound and good arguments for introducing a new way of software delivery in our company.

My questions are:
  • will there be seperate installation sources for the different platforms so that I can reuse our existing infrastructure without overcharging it?
  • do I have to maintain a local repository with all installation files an future Fixpacks on each machine or will it be sufficient to have a local repository containing only the Fixpack I want to distribute?
  • will there be future support for local repositories?

Thanks in advance for your support!
Updated on 2011-04-08T06:43:25Z at 2011-04-08T06:43:25Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    462 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Installation Manager: local vs. enterprise repository server

‏2011-04-08T02:36:53Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    We believe that having the IBM Installation Manager enterprise repository to which various IBM Installation Managers within enterprise can connect and acquire binaries is certainly a good practice and provides substantial benefits in such areas as centralized control over what is available for installation, ability to implement automated "install all / update all" function, etc

Said said, local repositories scenario (ie repository located on machine where install is performed and not shared between different machines) is and will be supported.

We also have plans to enable capability to perform finer grained "slicing" of the repositories for example per platform/OS content, so that users could have more control over what is actually stored in the repository.

Per the question about future fix packs, to install the fix pack on the machine which already have a GA version of the product installed, you will only need a repository for the given fixpack, you will not need to keep GA level repository
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    462 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Installation Manager: local vs. enterprise repository server

‏2011-04-08T06:43:25Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Thanks for your reply. I think, this answers my questions.