Topic
  • 12 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2011-05-06T16:35:36Z by LucaBucciarelli
jmierze
jmierze
43 Posts

Pinned topic Feature Focus Week: Installation on z/OS

‏2011-03-18T12:02:40Z |
Welcome to the Feature Focus Week for WebSphere Application Server V8 Beta installation on z/OS!

In the March 2011 refresh, we introduced several new features and usability improvements:

1. In addition to the base Application Server and IBM HTTP Server components, you can now install and use the DMZ Secure Proxy Server and Web server plugins on z/OS.

2. All four components are shipped in a single repository, to reduce the amount of setup work required.

3. Full translation support for the WebSphere Application Server is provided on z/OS through optionally installable language packs.

4. The Installation Manager install kit now provides two new scripts - zCreateFileSystem.sh and zMountFileSystem.sh - to make it easier to create and mount file systems for Installation Manager and for individual products. The scripts support both HFS and zFS file systems.

The z/OS version of IBM Installation Manager is available as both a zip download, and as a set of SMP/E relfiles.

The z/OS version of WebSphere Applicatiom Server V8 Beta is available as an Installation Manager repository in SMP/E format.

During this Feature Focus week, we will provide you with more information about each of these topics, along with new video demos of installation, and a presentation on fix pack and iFix application. Also join us for our Feature Focus Week Reflections teleconference scheduled for Thursday March 24 2011. To receive invitations to our CEP sessions, simply email cep<at>us<dot>ibm<dot>com requesting to join. By return, you will receive a confirmation with a few questions about you and your interests. After that, you will start to receive regular invitations to our live demos.

Jeff Mierzejewski
WebSphere for z/OS Install and Configuration
jmierze@us.ibm.com
Updated on 2011-05-06T16:35:36Z at 2011-05-06T16:35:36Z by LucaBucciarelli
  • jmierze
    jmierze
    43 Posts

Re: Feature Focus Week: Installation on z/OS

‏2011-03-22T14:08:00Z  
    The first major change in the March 2011 refresh of IBM Installation Manager is a change in the way that the Installation Manager R/W binaries and appdata directories are set up by default.

On z/OS, the /opt/IBM/InstallationManager and /var/ibm/InstallationManager directories (the default Installation Manager binaries and appdata locations on other platforms) are not a very good fit. Furthermore, copying or moving an Installation Manager to another system becomes more complicated if the Installation Manager uses several different file systems.

So after consultation with the z/OS development team, we decided to set the default binaries and appdata locations on z/OS for IBM Installation Manager to

/InstallationManager/bin
    /InstallationManager/appdata

This means that you can mount a single filesystem an /InstallationManager, and use it for both the Installation Manager binaries and appdata - as well as the shared resources (cache) directory, which is shown in our examples as:

/InstallationManager/sharedResources

The sample jobs for Installation Manager setup and use (in SGINJCL) have been updated to use these new locations as well.

(Note that, if you simply omit the locations when installing Installation Manager with installc, userinstc, or groupinstc, the Installation Manager beta code will append "WS_Beta" to the binaries and appdata names above. This occurs only with the beta version of IBM Installation Manager.)

Keeping the Installation Manager binaries, appdata, and shared resources in a single filesystem simplifies setup, and also makes it easier to "transport" an Installation Manager and its products to another z/OS system.

Jeff Mierzejewski
    WebSphere Application Server for z/OS Installation and Configuration
    jmierze@us.ibm.com
  • jmierze
    jmierze
    43 Posts

‏2011-03-22T14:25:24Z  
    One of the more time-consuming parts of using IBM Installation Manager on z/OS is the allocation and mounting of file systems - whether for Installation Manager itself, or for products being installed.

So with the March 2011 refresh, we added two new command scripts, zCreateFileSystem.sh and zMountFileSystem.sh. Both scripts can be found in the tools subdirectory of the Installation Manager install kit, and in the eclipse/tools subdirectory of each Installation Manager's binaries directory.

The zCreateFileSystem.sh script is used to allocate an HFS or zFS file system, optionally mounting it with specified owner and permissions:

zCreateFileSystem.sh -name <fileSystemName> [-type <HFS|ZFS>]  [-volume <volume>] [-cylinders <primaryCylinders> <secondaryCylinders>] [-megabytes <primaryMegabytes> <secondaryMegabytes>] [-mountpoint <mountPoint> -owner <owner> -group <group>] [-perm <permissions>]

If -volume is not specified, the file system will be created on an SMS-managed volume.

The -cylinders and -megabytes options can be abbreviated to -cyl and -mb. Either -cylinders or -megabytes must be
    specified. Do not specify both.

If -mountpoint is not specified, then the mount point directory will not be created and the file system will not be mounted. If -mountpoint is specified, then -owner and -group must be specified as well. Permissions (-perm) defaults to 775 if not specified.

The sample jobs for allocating filesystems for Installation Manager (GIN2CFS) and for installed products (GIN3CFS) have been updated to use these scripts (which also means that you no longer need to edit the jobs to provide the data set name prefix of the Installation Manager data set SGINEXEC). Since zCreateFileSystem.sh can allocate and mount either HFS or zFS data sets, the GINxCHFS and GINxCZFS samples have been combined into GINxCFS jobs, one for Installation Manager setup, and one for new product installs with Installation Manager.

When a product is updated or modified by IBM Installation Manager, the product's file system must be mounted at the same location at which it was originally installed with Installation Manager. Also, the file ownership and permissions must allow the Installation Manager user ID sufficient authority to update any of the product's files.

The zMountFileSystem.sh script is intended to simplify the mounting of a product file system for use by IBM Installation Manager:

zMountFileSystem.sh -name <fileSystemName> -mountpoint <mountPoint> [-type <HFS|ZFS>] [-owner <owner>] [-group <group>] [-perm <permissions>]

If you specify the owner, group, or permissions, then zMountFileSystem.sh will set the ownership and/or permissions, as requested, for all directories and files in the file system being mounted.

Jeff Mierzejewski
    WebSphere Application Server for z/OS Installation and Customization
    jmierze@us.ibm.com
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    462 Posts

‏2011-03-28T08:10:42Z  
    Hi Jeff,

you said "The z/OS version of WebSphere Applicatiom Server V8 Beta is available as an Installation Manager repository in SMP/E format."

Could you tell us more about the SMP/E format ? Does the repository is organized in PTFs ?
    Is that it respects the standard SMP / E ?

Thanks
    Yves LAREF
    WebSphere Application Server Architect.
  • carl_farkas
    carl_farkas
    1 Post

Error CRIMC1561031CE with installc on z/OS InstallationManager

‏2011-03-28T11:55:50Z  
    I just tried to install a copy of the InstallationManager, and ran into troubles. Here's the scenario:
    • I first created an HFS and unzipped the InstallKit into it. No problem. Here's a glimpse:

FARKAS > ZT01:/u/farkas/usr/lpp/InstallationManager/V14>ls
    Offerings features installc plugins repository.xml userinstc.ini
    configuration groupinstc installc.ini post-install.xml set-ext-attr.sh
    consoleinst.sh groupinstc.ini jre_6.0.0.20100720 readme_1.4.3.html tools
    documentation install.xml native repository.config userinstc

(Note that I MOUNTed the HFS on my personal home, with a ../usr/lpp/InstallationManager directory that I created in there)

I also ran set-ext-attr.sh with no problem.

2/ I then created additonal private appdata and bin subdirectories under my home directory:
    FARKAS > ZT01:/u/farkas/usr/lpp/InstallationManager/V14>ls -la /u/farkas/InstMgr
    total 64
    drwxr-xr-x 4 FARKAS 8830475 8192 Mar 28 07:32 .
    drwxrwxr-x 16 FARKAS 8830475 8192 Mar 28 07:34 ..
    drwxr-xr-x 2 FARKAS WMQI 8192 Mar 28 07:32 appdata
    drwxr-xr-x 2 FARKAS WMQI 8192 Mar 28 07:32 bin
    FARKAS > ZT01:/u/farkas/usr/lpp/InstallationManager/V14>

3/ I then gave myself RACF access to the five profiles required (eg. BPX.FILEATTR.APF, SUPERUSER.FILESYS.CHANGEPERMS, etc.)

4/ I then the installc, and this is where it fails:

FARKAS > ZT01:/u/farkas/usr/lpp/InstallationManager/V14>installc -installationDirectory /u/farkas/InstMgr/bin -dataLocation /u/farka
    s/InstMgr/appdata
    CRIMC1561031CE ERROR: Administrator privileges are required.
    00:02.12 ERROR Ýmain~ com.ibm.cic.agent.internal.application.HeadlessApplication run
    Administrator privileges are required.

Note that I am NOT in superuser. I'm intending on using the "User" mode only.... I don't like being superuser unless absolutely necessary.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Carl
  • jmierze
    jmierze
    43 Posts

Re: Error CRIMC1561031CE with installc on z/OS InstallationManager

‏2011-03-28T13:49:08Z  
    I just tried to install a copy of the InstallationManager, and ran into troubles. Here's the scenario:
    • I first created an HFS and unzipped the InstallKit into it. No problem. Here's a glimpse:

(Note that I MOUNTed the HFS on my personal home, with a ../usr/lpp/InstallationManager directory that I created in there)

2/ I then created additonal private appdata and bin subdirectories under my home directory:
    FARKAS > ZT01:/u/farkas/usr/lpp/InstallationManager/V14>ls -la /u/farkas/InstMgr
    total 64

3/ I then gave myself RACF access to the five profiles required (eg. BPX.FILEATTR.APF, SUPERUSER.FILESYS.CHANGEPERMS, etc.)

FARKAS > ZT01:/u/farkas/usr/lpp/InstallationManager/V14>installc -installationDirectory /u/farkas/InstMgr/bin -dataLocation /u/farka
    s/InstMgr/appdata
    00:02.12 ERROR Ýmain~ com.ibm.cic.agent.internal.application.HeadlessApplication run

Note that I am NOT in superuser. I'm intending on using the "User" mode only.... I don't like being superuser unless absolutely necessary.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Carl
    As described in the Getting Started guide and the WebSphere Application Server V8 Beta information center:

There are three different install commands for Installation Manager in command line (non-GUI) mode:

installc - installs in admin mode from a superuser ID

userinstc - installs in nonAdmin mode (files go into the user's home directory by default)

groupinstc - installs in group mode

To install as a non-superuser, use the userinstc or groupinstc commands.

All three commands allow you to specify the locations for the Installation Manager binaries (-installationDirectory) and run-time data (-dataLocation).

Jeff Mierzejewski
    jmierze@us.ibm.com
  • jmierze
    jmierze
    43 Posts

‏2011-03-28T13:53:10Z  
    Hi Jeff,

you said "The z/OS version of WebSphere Applicatiom Server V8 Beta is available as an Installation Manager repository in SMP/E format."

Could you tell us more about the SMP/E format ? Does the repository is organized in PTFs ?
    Is that it respects the standard SMP / E ?

Thanks
    Yves LAREF
    WebSphere Application Server Architect.
    Yves,

The Installation Manager repository for WebSphere Application Server for z/OS Version 8 Beta is delivered in SMP/E format. So after you install FMID HBBO800 using SMP/E, you have a repository for WebSphere Application Server V8. This repository can be used to install multiple copies of the WebSphere Application Server V8 product.

If PTFs were available for this FMID, then they would update the repository to include new service levels. The updated repository could be used, say, to install WAS 8.0.0.0 or WAS 8.0.0.1, or to upgrade WAS 8.0.0.0 to WAS 8.0.0.1. All these installations and upgrades would be done using Installation Manager, and the updated repository.

Jeff Mierzejewski
    jmierze@us.ibm.com
  • ladydi953
    ladydi953
    3 Posts

Re: Error CRIMC1561031CE with installc on z/OS InstallationManager

‏2011-03-28T14:25:03Z  

total 64

s/InstMgr/appdata

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Carl
    Hi,
    In case you need to find the "Getting Started Guide", you can find it from this link. You will need to have you IBM ID/password to access it.

https://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/iwm/web/reg/download.do?source=swerpws-wsasoa-3&S_PKG=library&lang=en_US&cp=UTF-8#
  • LucaBucciarelli
    LucaBucciarelli
    8 Posts

Re: ....unable to locate its companion shared library

‏2011-05-06T12:28:51Z  
    We smp/e installed IIM and created an Installation Manager in group mode as per the Getting Started instructions: a user id and group (with the required attributes) to own the Installation Manager was determined, a filesystem owned by the same user id/group was created and mounted R/W with 775 permissions, the goupinstc was succesfully run, the imcl -version from the /InstallationManager/bin/eclipse/tools correctly answered.

We then tried to run imcl from a different user id connected to the same group but we got:

/InstallationManager/bin/eclipse/tools:>./imcl -help

Imcl: The Imcl executable launcher was unable to locate its companion shared library.

What is wrong?

Thank you
    Luca
  • jmierze
    jmierze
    43 Posts

‏2011-05-06T12:44:38Z  
    We smp/e installed IIM and created an Installation Manager in group mode as per the Getting Started instructions: a user id and group (with the required attributes) to own the Installation Manager was determined, a filesystem owned by the same user id/group was created and mounted R/W with 775 permissions, the goupinstc was succesfully run, the imcl -version from the /InstallationManager/bin/eclipse/tools correctly answered.

We then tried to run imcl from a different user id connected to the same group but we got:

/InstallationManager/bin/eclipse/tools:>./imcl -help

Imcl: The Imcl executable launcher was unable to locate its companion shared library.

What is wrong?

Thank you
    Luca
    Please look at the files in the Installation Manager binaries are appdata directory and make sure their permissions allow them to be read and written by the second user ID.

Is it possible that the umask was not set to 002 for the first user ID?

Jeff Mierzejewski
    jmierze@us.ibm.com
  • LucaBucciarelli
    LucaBucciarelli
    8 Posts

‏2011-05-06T13:51:56Z  
    • jmierze
    • ‏2011-05-06T12:44:38Z
    Please look at the files in the Installation Manager binaries are appdata directory and make sure their permissions allow them to be read and written by the second user ID.

Is it possible that the umask was not set to 002 for the first user ID?

Jeff Mierzejewski
    jmierze@us.ibm.com
    We did it, the second user is connected to the same group (default group), both users have the umask 002 set and contents of bin and appdata directories are rw for the group.

Any idea?

Thank you,
    Luca
  • jmierze
    jmierze
    43 Posts

‏2011-05-06T15:31:45Z  
    We did it, the second user is connected to the same group (default group), both users have the umask 002 set and contents of bin and appdata directories are rw for the group.

Any idea?

Thank you,
    Luca
    Luca,

That sounds like some sort of problem with either /InstallationManager/bin/eclipse/configuration/config.ini, or /InstallationManager/bin/eclipse/tools/imcl.ini. Both should be in ASCII.

Could you please post the contents here, or mail them to be at jmierzeatusdotibmdotcom?

Jeff Mierzejewski
    jmierze@us.ibm.com
  • LucaBucciarelli
    LucaBucciarelli
    8 Posts

‏2011-05-06T16:35:36Z  
    • jmierze
    • ‏2011-05-06T15:31:45Z
    Luca,

That sounds like some sort of problem with either /InstallationManager/bin/eclipse/configuration/config.ini, or /InstallationManager/bin/eclipse/tools/imcl.ini. Both should be in ASCII.

Could you please post the contents here, or mail them to be at jmierzeatusdotibmdotcom?

Jeff Mierzejewski
    jmierze@us.ibm.com
    Thank you, Jeff

We found the config. as an ascii file and imcl.ini as an ebcdic one. Here they are:

/InstallationManager/bin/eclipse/configuration/config.ini (ASCII)

#Fri May 06 11:26:25 GMT+01:00 2011

osgi.launcherPath=/InstallationManager/bin/eclipse
    im.internal.version=1.4.3000.20110214_1521
    osgi.instance.area=@noDefault
    cic.beta=WS_Beta
    org.eclipse.swt.accessibility.UseIA2=false
    osgi.bundles=org.eclipse.equinox.common@2\:start, org.eclipse.update.configurator@3\:start, org.eclipse.core.runtime@start
    osgi.os=zos
    im.version=1.4.3
    eclipse.product=com.ibm.cic.agent.ui.product
    cic.appDataLocation=/InstallationManager/appdata
    osgi.splashPath=platform\:/base/plugins/com.ibm.cic.agent.ui,platform\:/base/pluginscom.ibm.cic.agent.ui.nl1,platform\:/base/plugins/com.ibm.cic.agent.ui.nl2
    osgi.launcherIni=IBMIM
    osgi.ws=motif
    osgi.bundles.defaultStartLevel=5
    osgi.arch=s390
    cic.64bit.support=
    /InstallationManager/bin/eclipse/tools/imcl.ini (EBCDIC)
    -toolId
    imcl
    -accessRights
    group
    --launcher.library
    /InstallationManager/bin/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.motif.zos.s390_1.0.0.v20100317
    -vm
    /InstallationManager/bin/eclipse/jre_6.0.0.20100720/jre/bin/java
    -nosplash
    --launcher.suppressErrors
    -silent
    -startup
    /InstallationManager/bin/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.1.0.v20100507.jar
    -vmargs
    -Dsun.nio.ch.disableSystemWideOverlappingFileLockCheck=true
    -Xms40m
    -Xmx512m
    -Dfile.encoding=ISO8859-1