Topic
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-03-15T10:45:29Z by CICS_Guy
CICS_Guy
CICS_Guy
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic CICS TXSeries on a Windows BizTalk server (Windows 2008)

‏2011-03-14T16:50:31Z |
Does anyone know if CICS TXSeries fully supports the CICS APPC API for applications written in Java?
Environment: Windows BizTalk Server with HIS (Host Integration Server OR SNAServices)
Requirement: need to develop a Java Client requestor running on the BizTalk server to send requests for Data to a
CICS TS 4.1 region via APPC/LU6.2

I've been reading all sorts of information on both CICS Transaction Gateway and TXSeries..

Does anyone know if the CICS TXSeries comes with a set of Java APPC classes that would allow me to develop a Java
APPC application running in Mapped_Conversation mode that would pass the data request to an LU6.2 Session partner
on the z/Series CICS TS 4.1

Thanks in advance

Guy
Updated on 2011-03-15T10:45:29Z at 2011-03-15T10:45:29Z by CICS_Guy
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    308 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: CICS TXSeries on a Windows BizTalk server (Windows 2008)

‏2011-03-15T06:30:42Z  in response to CICS_Guy
    Hi,

If you are intending to connect with z/Series CICS from a Java application running outside of TXSeries, then you would need to use CTG.

If you are running Java applications within the TXSeries environment, have you looked at the JCICS support provided by TXSeries?. There are Java classes in JCICS library which deals with APPC mapped conversation. You can refer to the IBM Redbook: http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247185.html - section 3.6.1. You may also want to have a look at the dfjcics.jar supplied with TXSeries to see the Java interfaces.

To better understand your requirement can you give me a hint on your deployment architecture, to see how you are using TXSeries? From your requirement it looked like you would just need CTG to connect your Java client application running in BizTalk Server with CICS region running on z/OS.

HTH

Cheers,
    Hari
    • CICS_Guy
      CICS_Guy
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: CICS TXSeries on a Windows BizTalk server (Windows 2008)

‏2011-03-15T10:45:29Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hello Hari77 thanks for response ... I probably didn't state my question correctly.
      the Java app I'm developing WILL NOT "run outside" of TXSeries. The TXSeries will be running on the BizTalk Server(Windows 2008 Server)
      It will in fact be a CICS application communicating with a z/Series CICS TS 4.1 region via APPC/LU6.2
      TXSeries fully supports this mode. While CICS Transaction Gateway does support java, It DOES NOT support APPC/LU62.
      In fact CTG only supports the CICS External Call interface.
      Thanks for the Redbooks link

Best Regards

Guy