Topic
  • 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2011-10-17T15:43:12Z by deepakanand
JohnT.Reynolds
JohnT.Reynolds
233 Posts

Pinned topic The Process of Building a Business Process

‏2011-03-10T19:15:44Z |
Those of us who worked for Lombardi were unashamedly "Process Driven".
We approach almost everything as a process problem to be solved: http://thoughtfulprogrammer.blogspot.com/2009/07/toilet-paper-replenishment-process.html

When we build a Business Process - we follow a process. It's an iterative process, built around "playbacks" where we share our progress with the business folks who own the process.

The first "playback" concentrates on "Getting the Process Right".

The second "playback" concentrates on "Getting the Data Right" (which included identifying the integrations that you use to get and update the data). Note that the data that you track is defined in this cycle too.

The third "playback" concentrate on "Building the Integrations and Functional Coaches". We also worry about escalations and stuff like that in this cycle.

Finally, on the fourth "playback" we "Polish the Screens"
Updated on 2011-10-17T15:43:12Z at 2011-10-17T15:43:12Z by deepakanand
  • LSC
    LSC
    14 Posts

Re: The Process of Building a Business Process

‏2011-03-10T23:32:55Z  
    Thanks John for the post.

This just summarizes the entire book 1 of the online course :)
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts

‏2011-03-11T00:13:32Z  
    It's great to be "process driven" but even better to be "change driven".
    When one looks at a process it is important to look at all the moving pieces of the puzzle.
    One big moving piece is business rules. It is therefore essential to understand what decisions are made, how, where and when.
    I followed the following track with a customer and that allowed us to uncover business rules the customer thought they were already automated.

1) Process
    2) Decision
    3) Data
    4) Integration

(rinse and repeat, refine)
  • JohnT.Reynolds
    JohnT.Reynolds
    233 Posts

‏2011-03-11T00:20:30Z  
    • LSC
    • ‏2011-03-10T23:32:55Z
    Thanks John for the post.

This just summarizes the entire book 1 of the online course :)
    It's a process that really works.
    Follow it and your life will be easier.

There's also a process for creating your Human Activities:

• Define the Instructions for the Activity
    • Define the Data that the Activity must gather or modify
    • Define the Context Information that the participant will need to perform the Activity

Use the Data that the user must gather or modify to identify any Update or Write Integrations that you will need to update any underlying systems. Data that's passed on in your payload won't need an underlying integration, but some of it usually does.

Once you have identified your "update integrations", use the information to identify the Read Integrations that you will need to get any Context Information that is not part of the data that's passed to the Activity (assuming that you will display this context information on your Coach).

Now you have your Starter Coach, place holders for your Read Integrations, and place holders for your Update and Write Integrations... You're ready to distribute the work and make it functional.
  • JohnT.Reynolds
    JohnT.Reynolds
    233 Posts

‏2011-03-11T00:22:29Z  
    When one looks at a process it is important to look at all the moving pieces of the puzzle.
    One big moving piece is business rules. It is therefore essential to understand what decisions are made, how, where and when.
    I followed the following track with a customer and that allowed us to uncover business rules the customer thought they were already automated.

1) Process
    2) Decision
    3) Data
    4) Integration

Let's just say it's better to be "Changeable Process Driven"... That is the point, after all :-)
  • JohnT.Reynolds
    JohnT.Reynolds
    233 Posts

‏2011-03-11T22:05:31Z  

1) Process
    2) Decision
    3) Data
    4) Integration

Marc,

I like explicitly calling out Decisions... that's very good.

In my own case, what I do for the first playback is to define the "Flow Data". The Flow Data are the values that the Decision Gateways use to pick a path. I also consider any data that is used to assign a task to a specific participant or group as Flow Data.

I don't figure out how that data is really going to be set for my first playback. Instead, I add simple controls to the Coaches in the relevant activities so that I can set the data and step through any path in my process.

Assuming that the Flow Data is eventually going to be the output of a Rule... I pretty much ignore the Rule itself for my first playback - except for the data that will be generated by the Rule when I get around to implementing it.

Does that work for you, or would you recommend another approach?
  • EdBarta
    EdBarta
    1 Post

‏2011-10-13T20:39:39Z  
    BTW - we usually reserve playback 5 for "hardening" a process. So, just so we can be clear:

Playback 0 = creating the to-be process
    Playback 1 = implementing timers, gateways, and routing tasks
    Playback 2 = building coaches (we ignore look and feel) and just build coach functionality
    Playback 3 = "real data, real time" - all integrations and rules services implemented and data flowing through the process
    Playback 4 = "beautifying" or enhancing coaches through CSS, JavaScript, Ajax, etc.
    Playback 5 = hardening the process, error handling
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts

‏2011-10-17T14:59:01Z  
    • EdBarta
    • ‏2011-10-13T20:39:39Z
    BTW - we usually reserve playback 5 for "hardening" a process. So, just so we can be clear:

Playback 0 = creating the to-be process
    Playback 1 = implementing timers, gateways, and routing tasks
    Playback 2 = building coaches (we ignore look and feel) and just build coach functionality
    Playback 3 = "real data, real time" - all integrations and rules services implemented and data flowing through the process
    Playback 4 = "beautifying" or enhancing coaches through CSS, JavaScript, Ajax, etc.
    Playback 5 = hardening the process, error handling
    You guys keep leaving out one iteration - "Non-Process Deliverables". This is all the stuff that needs to be there to go live, but is not articulated in a BPD. Search screens, reports, admin screens, etc.
  • deepakanand
    deepakanand
    20 Posts

‏2011-10-17T15:43:12Z  
    You guys keep leaving out one iteration - "Non-Process Deliverables". This is all the stuff that needs to be there to go live, but is not articulated in a BPD. Search screens, reports, admin screens, etc.
    I second that, after a certain point, i've seen that the process is taken as a given and the module's value is judged by its reporting and in general non-process abilities.