• 13 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2011-03-29T13:28:30Z by RamVennam
owkrina
owkrina
15 Posts

Pinned topic Can't start IHS on WAS admin console

‏2011-02-24T05:10:09Z |
Hello, everyone,

We're testing installation of IHS on Win7 environment. Below is the overall WAS environment and all componets are in the same machine.
HTTP Admin Server is not installed because Node Agent exists in the same machine. And Windows service is not configured.
*DM
*NA
*AP server
*IHS

The problem is that web server won't start/stop when I click "start"/"stop" on the WAS admin console.

1. I used WebSphere customization tools to to make plug-in configuration. Since Local configuration doesn't work right (I'll also report this issue), I used Remote configuration and defined the localhost as the hostname. Then I executed a script made in the <Plugin_Root>\bin\configurewebserver1.bat on <WAS_ROOT>\bin, and found a webserver1 is configured on the WAS admin console.

2. I clicked "start" but it said "Could not make a connection to the IBM HTTP Administration server on node node-name /webserver1"
I thought that although I didn't install HTTP administration server, the machine has Node Agent, so there should be no problem and the NA would start the webserver1. But then I found that the Node where webserver1 exists is different from the Node where Node Agent exists. I guess that's why webserver1 can't start on the console. However I defined localhost on the Customization tools, so I thought webserver1 would be configured on the same node as Node Agent. Is that wrong? and is it impossible to define localhost to configure a webserver on the same node of Node Agent on Remote Configuration in Customization tools?

3. Next, I made another webserver2 on the WAS admin console this time. In this case, webserver2 would be configured on the same node of Node Agent. So I thought there should be no problem to start this webserver2 on the console.

4. When I was configuring the webserver2, I found that Windows service name must be specified. However I didn't configured this when installing IHS, so anyway I left it as the default and continued. Then I successfully configured the webserver2 but when I clicked "start", it said "Windows Service name IBM HTTPServerV8.0 on node-name.webserver2 Web server could not be started" It could be a matter of course since there is no Windows service defined.
So, is it mandatory to define Windows service for IHS V8 on Win environment?
Updated on 2011-03-29T13:28:30Z at 2011-03-29T13:28:30Z by RamVennam
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    462 Posts

Re: Can't start IHS on WAS admin console

‏2011-02-24T13:35:31Z  
    owkrina,

A defect has already been resolved for issue #4 below -- the configureWebserver*.bat was updated to properly convey the IHS service name to the Application Server when creating the webserver definition.

As to how/when will the dmgr use a node agent to stop/start a webserver, I'll have to defer to others. Did bullet #3 use the node agent or not?
  • RamVennam
    RamVennam
    10 Posts

‏2011-02-24T19:59:56Z  
    There are two ways to manage an IHS web server from WAS - Managed node and Unmanaged node.

Manage node requires a node agent to be running on the same machine as IHS. Operations from the WAS Admin Console get pushed to the node agent, and then to IHS.

Unmanaged node does not require a node agent. It requires the IHS Administration Server. Operations from the WAS Admin Console get pushed to the administration server, and then to IHS.

When a web server definition is created thru the configurewebserver1 script, based on the hostname parameter that was passed in, it tries to figure out if there is a node already matching that hostname. If there is, it will create a managed web server definition in WAS. If it is not able to find a node with matching host name, it assumes you do not have a node agent running on the box with IHS, and creates an unmanaged node. In this case, you will need the administration server.

So, I would check to see which node the web server definition got created. If it's on a WAS node with a node agent, make sure that the node agent is started. System Administration -> Node agents.
    You can verify the start command and arguments by going to Severs > Web servers > webserver1 > Process definition

You will need the service name for Windows. If you didn’t specify, one is created for you automatically. Look into your postinst.properties for WINSERVICE and remove the spaces. Update the web server definition in the WAS admin console accordingly.

I hope this helps.

Ram Vennam
    WAS Administrative Console & Web Server Admin Development
  • owkrina
    owkrina
    15 Posts

‏2011-02-25T01:40:24Z  
    owkrina,

A defect has already been resolved for issue #4 below -- the configureWebserver*.bat was updated to properly convey the IHS service name to the Application Server when creating the webserver definition.

As to how/when will the dmgr use a node agent to stop/start a webserver, I'll have to defer to others. Did bullet #3 use the node agent or not?
    Eric,

Thank you for your reply.
    >A defect has already been resolved for issue #4 below
    Is this about what RamVennam wrote in the next thread?
    >the configureWebserver*.bat was updated to
    Do you mean that you will provide a new beta program including this updated configure*.bat?

>Did bullet #3 use the node agent or not?
    Yes, the node agent and the webserver2 coexist in the same node, and the node agent is started.

Thank you in advance
  • owkrina
    owkrina
    15 Posts

‏2011-02-25T06:34:31Z  
    • RamVennam
    • ‏2011-02-24T19:59:56Z
    There are two ways to manage an IHS web server from WAS - Managed node and Unmanaged node.

Manage node requires a node agent to be running on the same machine as IHS. Operations from the WAS Admin Console get pushed to the node agent, and then to IHS.

Unmanaged node does not require a node agent. It requires the IHS Administration Server. Operations from the WAS Admin Console get pushed to the administration server, and then to IHS.

When a web server definition is created thru the configurewebserver1 script, based on the hostname parameter that was passed in, it tries to figure out if there is a node already matching that hostname. If there is, it will create a managed web server definition in WAS. If it is not able to find a node with matching host name, it assumes you do not have a node agent running on the box with IHS, and creates an unmanaged node. In this case, you will need the administration server.

So, I would check to see which node the web server definition got created. If it's on a WAS node with a node agent, make sure that the node agent is started. System Administration -> Node agents.
    You can verify the start command and arguments by going to Severs > Web servers > webserver1 > Process definition

You will need the service name for Windows. If you didn’t specify, one is created for you automatically. Look into your postinst.properties for WINSERVICE and remove the spaces. Update the web server definition in the WAS admin console accordingly.

I hope this helps.

Ram Vennam
    RamVennam

Thank you for your reply

>based on the hostname parameter that was passed in, it tries to figure out if >there is a node already matching that hostname. If there is, it will create a >managed web server definition in WAS.

When I used the Customization Tools to make a configurationwebserver1.bat, I put a hostname where Node Agent exists, but somehow another node, that is, unmanaged node was made and a webserver1 was configured on that unmanaged node.
    Does this mean the Customization tools couldn't pass the hostname parameter I put to configurewebserver1.bat so a new unmanaged node was created?

I checked the configurewebserver1.bat and found that in the final section where wsadmin command was written, the node name was specified as the machine's +IP-address+-node, which is different from managed node names which are typically named as hostnameNode01. And webserver node type was specified as unmanaged in the bat file.

>You will need the service name for Windows. If you didn’t specify, one is >created for you automatically.

Do you mean although I didn't define Windows Service name on installation of IHS, when I configure a webserver in the WAS admin console, a Windows service will be created automatically?

>Look into your postinst.properties for WINSERVICE and remove the spaces.
    I checked this file.It said WINSERVICE=noneWINADMINSERVICE=none. As I wrote above, I didn't configure a Windows service for IHS because I thought Windows services were optional. Is my understanding correct?

As the file said wINSERVICE is none, I tried updating the Service name as none in the webserver definition in the WAS admin console, then clicked "start" but it still couldn't be started with "Windows Service name none on nodename/webserver* Web server could be started" message.
    This doesn't happen in a Linux environment, so I think this issue is specific to Windows.

Thank you in advance
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    462 Posts

‏2011-02-25T12:33:40Z  
    • owkrina
    • ‏2011-02-25T06:34:31Z
    RamVennam

Thank you for your reply

>based on the hostname parameter that was passed in, it tries to figure out if >there is a node already matching that hostname. If there is, it will create a >managed web server definition in WAS.

When I used the Customization Tools to make a configurationwebserver1.bat, I put a hostname where Node Agent exists, but somehow another node, that is, unmanaged node was made and a webserver1 was configured on that unmanaged node.
    Does this mean the Customization tools couldn't pass the hostname parameter I put to configurewebserver1.bat so a new unmanaged node was created?

I checked the configurewebserver1.bat and found that in the final section where wsadmin command was written, the node name was specified as the machine's +IP-address+-node, which is different from managed node names which are typically named as hostnameNode01. And webserver node type was specified as unmanaged in the bat file.

>You will need the service name for Windows. If you didn’t specify, one is >created for you automatically.

Do you mean although I didn't define Windows Service name on installation of IHS, when I configure a webserver in the WAS admin console, a Windows service will be created automatically?

I checked this file.It said WINSERVICE=noneWINADMINSERVICE=none. As I wrote above, I didn't configure a Windows service for IHS because I thought Windows services were optional. Is my understanding correct?

As the file said wINSERVICE is none, I tried updating the Service name as none in the webserver definition in the WAS admin console, then clicked "start" but it still couldn't be started with "Windows Service name none on nodename/webserver* Web server could be started" message.
    This doesn't happen in a Linux environment, so I think this issue is specific to Windows.

Thank you in advance
    owkrina,

Creating a service is optional, but WebSphere can only stop and start IHS on your behalf if you use a service.

You can easily create one after-the-fact by running bin\httpd.exe -k install -n "IBM HTTP Server v8" (the default service name is much longer).

I'm going to propose an update to the installer or the infocenter to make the dependency more clear.
  • RamVennam
    RamVennam
    10 Posts

‏2011-02-25T14:46:34Z  
    • owkrina
    • ‏2011-02-25T06:34:31Z
    RamVennam

Thank you for your reply

Thank you in advance
    owkrina,

The wsadmin call invokes WAS_HOME/bin/configureWebserverDefinition.jacl script. The "unmanaged" and the "<ipaddress/hostname>-node" parameters are ignored if the following hostname parameter could be matched to an existing WAS node. In this case, you will see a message like "Web server node definition hostnameNode01 already exists." when you execute configurationwebserver1.bat.
  • owkrina
    owkrina
    15 Posts

‏2011-02-28T03:05:00Z  
    owkrina,

Creating a service is optional, but WebSphere can only stop and start IHS on your behalf if you use a service.

You can easily create one after-the-fact by running bin\httpd.exe -k install -n "IBM HTTP Server v8" (the default service name is much longer).

I'm going to propose an update to the installer or the infocenter to make the dependency more clear.
    Eric,

I ran httpd.exe to create a service and was able to start/stop the webserver on the console. And I'd appreciate it if you could propose an update the installer or the infocenter for more clear description on this issue.

Thank you
  • owkrina
    owkrina
    15 Posts

‏2011-02-28T04:25:33Z  
    • RamVennam
    • ‏2011-02-25T14:46:34Z
    owkrina,

The wsadmin call invokes WAS_HOME/bin/configureWebserverDefinition.jacl script. The "unmanaged" and the "<ipaddress/hostname>-node" parameters are ignored if the following hostname parameter could be matched to an existing WAS node. In this case, you will see a message like "Web server node definition hostnameNode01 already exists." when you execute configurationwebserver1.bat.
    RamVennam,

Let me describe what I tested today in reading your reply.

>you will see a message like "Web server node definition hostnameNode01 already exists." when you execute configurationwebserver1.bat.

Yes,in my case, the hostnameNode01 part was ipaddress-node instead, which is unmanaged. So, first,I removed this unmanaged node, then created a new configurewebserver.bat on the Customization Tools. I put a hostname where the node agent exists in the panel. I executed the configurewebserver.bat then messages displayed were like "creating the unmanaged node nodename". Does that mean, the script could not find the existing WAS node?
    After configuration was completed I checked what were created on the WAS console. Then I found that a new unamanaged node was created and a webserver was created on that node.

>The "unmanaged" and the "<ipaddress/hostname>-node" parameters are ignored if the following hostname parameter could be matched to an existing WAS node.

So, I still don't understand if the parameters above were really ignored and the existing WAS node was found by the script to create a webserver on the node where the node agent exists.

Thank you in advance
  • RamVennam
    RamVennam
    10 Posts

‏2011-03-01T20:11:25Z  
    • owkrina
    • ‏2011-02-28T04:25:33Z
    RamVennam,

Let me describe what I tested today in reading your reply.

>you will see a message like "Web server node definition hostnameNode01 already exists." when you execute configurationwebserver1.bat.

Yes,in my case, the hostnameNode01 part was ipaddress-node instead, which is unmanaged. So, first,I removed this unmanaged node, then created a new configurewebserver.bat on the Customization Tools. I put a hostname where the node agent exists in the panel. I executed the configurewebserver.bat then messages displayed were like "creating the unmanaged node nodename". Does that mean, the script could not find the existing WAS node?
    After configuration was completed I checked what were created on the WAS console. Then I found that a new unamanaged node was created and a webserver was created on that node.

>The "unmanaged" and the "<ipaddress/hostname>-node" parameters are ignored if the following hostname parameter could be matched to an existing WAS node.

So, I still don't understand if the parameters above were really ignored and the existing WAS node was found by the script to create a webserver on the node where the node agent exists.

Thank you in advance
    owkrina,

Based on your description, I would say that the script was NOT able to find a node with a matching host name. I modified the script to output more information and tell us what's going on.

Create a backup and replace your <WAS_HOME>\bin\configureWebserverDefinition.jacl with the one provided. Rerun your configurationwebserver1.bat script, and paste/attach the output here.

Ram Vennam
  • owkrina
    owkrina
    15 Posts

‏2011-03-10T08:44:13Z  
    • RamVennam
    • ‏2011-03-01T20:11:25Z
    owkrina,

Based on your description, I would say that the script was NOT able to find a node with a matching host name. I modified the script to output more information and tell us what's going on.

Create a backup and replace your <WAS_HOME>\bin\configureWebserverDefinition.jacl with the one provided. Rerun your configurationwebserver1.bat script, and paste/attach the output here.

Ram Vennam
    RamVennam,

Thank you for your reply and the jacl file, and excuse me for the late reply.

I tried configuring a webserver with the jacl you provided.However the webserver was configured on the unmanaged node again, that is, the situation is the same as that I had tried and written here before.

I'm wondering that the script having a problem could be configurewebserver*.bat, not jacl file. In the configurewebserver*.bat which was created on Customization Tools, the parameters for node type was written as "unmanaged" (although I defined the hostname as the one where the node agent exists),so the jacl decides that the node type should be defined to be unamanaged.

Could you investigate how Customization Tools work when creating configurewebserver*.bat please?

Thank you in advance
  • RamVennam
    RamVennam
    10 Posts

‏2011-03-24T19:50:07Z  
    • owkrina
    • ‏2011-03-10T08:44:13Z
    RamVennam,

Thank you for your reply and the jacl file, and excuse me for the late reply.

I tried configuring a webserver with the jacl you provided.However the webserver was configured on the unmanaged node again, that is, the situation is the same as that I had tried and written here before.

I'm wondering that the script having a problem could be configurewebserver*.bat, not jacl file. In the configurewebserver*.bat which was created on Customization Tools, the parameters for node type was written as "unmanaged" (although I defined the hostname as the one where the node agent exists),so the jacl decides that the node type should be defined to be unamanaged.

Could you investigate how Customization Tools work when creating configurewebserver*.bat please?

Thank you in advance
    owkrina, Please attach the output of modified jacl script. The output will tell us more information.
  • owkrina
    owkrina
    15 Posts

‏2011-03-25T07:32:10Z  
    • RamVennam
    • ‏2011-03-24T19:50:07Z
    owkrina, Please attach the output of modified jacl script. The output will tell us more information.
    RamVennam,

I attatched the output including configurewebserver13.bat, pluginconfig file, and some screen shots.

Please check them.

Attachments

• RamVennam
    RamVennam
    10 Posts

‏2011-03-29T13:28:30Z  
    • owkrina
    • ‏2011-03-25T07:32:10Z
    RamVennam,

I attatched the output including configurewebserver13.bat, pluginconfig file, and some screen shots.

Please check them.
    owkrina,

I was not able to see all of the cmd output in the cmd_when_configurewebserverbat_executed.png screen shot. However I can confirm that none of your existing managed nodes IP address matches the IP that is being passed in as the web server host name. If you run the jacl script again, you should be able to see the script iterate through every one of the nodes and output their IP/hostname. You can redirect the output to a text file by issuing configurewebserver13.bat > cmdoutput.txt

Note that even if an "unmanaged" node parameter is passed in, the script will first look for an existing managed or unmanaged node that matches the IP/hostname. In this case, it is not finding such a node.