Topic
6 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-02-23T03:24:59Z by praguer
praguer
praguer
4 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic New user - hello and basic question

‏2011-02-22T23:21:51Z |
I am new to this forum but not to computers. I was given a 9115-505 after finishing a project. It runs AIX 5.3. I am a bit frustrated with the software availability and am considering going to Linux. I do not have much money to spend. SO the question is: Is it possible at all and if so which distribution is the best price-performer?

Thank you

Lanny
Updated on 2011-02-23T03:24:59Z at 2011-02-23T03:24:59Z by praguer
  • sdenham
    sdenham
    4 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: New user - hello and basic question

‏2011-02-23T00:17:21Z  in response to praguer
    Lanny -

First, you might want to look into the AIX Toolbox for Linux,

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/software/aix/linux/toolbox/download.html

which will give your AIX machine many of the Linux tools and applications you may be missing. Gnome and kde desktops, GCC compilers, the bash shell, etc are all there and prebuilt for you, installable as RPMs. In addition, once you've installed the libraries, many other Linux packages can be built from source fairly easily.

If this isn't Linux enough for you, you have several options. Freely downloadable you can find the Fedora (up to Fedora 12) or Gentoo Linux distributions. If you want a commercially supported distro, RHEL and SLES are available, at a cost.
    • praguer
      praguer
      4 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-02-23T00:39:03Z  in response to sdenham
      Thank you very much for your response. I have done a lot of what you suggest. My major frustration is with Apache/MySQL/php setup and the mail server set up. To build these from scratch compiling is an enormous effort and I have only succeeded after a lot of patching, co-requisite downloading and updating. On my other server running Debian, most of this is click and deploy process.

Unfortunately, my predicament is that I cannot do try before you commit type of Linux install (or can I). If for some reason (i.e. a disk driver missing) my Linux Install fails, I loose my machine for a long period of time reinstalling AIX from my backups.

Is there a red book or a good write up on how to install Linux? Or would you recommend that I go the RPM route and try to build Linux like environment under 5.3 I have plenty of disk space. My machine is though at a farm and I access it over ssh and VNC.

Thanks in advance

Lanny
      • sdenham
        sdenham
        4 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-02-23T02:22:26Z  in response to praguer
        I haven't tried any of these, but here are some links to live CDs for ppc64:

http://www.livecdlist.com/architecture/ppc64

Safest / easiest is probably to go with the AIX toolbox route... if you can get the apps you need that way you get the best of both worlds, and you don't risk bricking your box and having to start from scratch.
        • praguer
          praguer
          4 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-02-23T03:24:59Z  in response to sdenham
          Thank you again. I will take your advice and redo my linux toolboxing trying to get uptodate AMP. I will also do more search in the linux community to find out if someone did Linux on my type of config.

Cheers

Lanny
    • praguer
      praguer
      4 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-02-23T00:41:02Z  in response to sdenham
      Also, this link is 404

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/software/aix/linux/toolbox/download.html
      • sdenham
        sdenham
        4 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-02-23T01:47:38Z  in response to praguer
        Works fine from here, but I forgot to prune the hostname. Try this generic one:

http://www.ibm.com/systems/power/software/aix/linux/toolbox/download.html