Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-06-12T15:56:28Z by chriscanto
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
4779 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Can I change extent size of V7000 under using the volumes.

‏2011-02-07T13:52:50Z |
Hi,all

Please teach me.

When I have read a referrence, I found the description "In the V7000, extent size can be able to change under the volumes ware used.".
(Of cause the volumes are existing in the storage pool I want to change extent size..)

Q.
Is it possible to change extent size under the situation?
(I have read the CLI manual chapter "chmdiskgrp", but no option about changing extent size.)

regards,
---
KEI
Updated on 2011-02-08T01:51:45Z at 2011-02-08T01:51:45Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    4779 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Can I change extent size of V7000 under using the volumes.

‏2011-02-07T14:57:43Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi,

It is possible to change the extent size, but it's not a simple operation, and will require you having some spare storage to use.

The procedure is to use volume mirroring techniques to move the volume from the current storage pool into a new storage pool, and to set the new storage pool to use the extent size you are looking for.

I don't believe that the V7000 GUI currently lets you choose an extent size - it simply chooses the default of 256 MB. Therefore you would need to create the new storage pool using the command line interface (svctask mkmdiskgrp)

Hope this helps

Andrew
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      4779 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-02-08T01:51:45Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Interesting quirk... SVC 6.1 code lets you set extent size using the advanced settings twistie.

Regards, Anthony

Blog: http://tinyurl.com/23wgvkw
    • Arthruyoung
      Arthruyoung
      8 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-12T15:15:57Z  in response to SystemAdmin

hi:

when i want to use clone or backup method to do a vdisk copy.But i get a error message:

CMMVC5861E The action failed because there were

not enough extents on the managed disk

(MDisk).

Explanation: The action failed because there were not

enough extents on the managed disk (MDisk)

so this message is mean svc extend size for this Mdisk is not enough ( my extend size is 256MB)?

or have others error config?

tks

Ben

• chriscanto
        chriscanto
        230 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-12T15:56:28Z  in response to Arthruyoung

That sounds like the sort of error you'd get if you didn't have enough free space in the destination storage pool where you're trying to create the new volume.  Have you looked at the available capacity for the pool?

Mind you, as it's singular "mdisk", rather than "not enough extents in the managed disk group" then it sounds like you might be trying to create a copy on an image mode volume, or perhaps a sequential mdisk?

You might have to put this error in the context of your configuration and the specific CLI command being run if you need more help.