Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
10 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-02-11T03:41:41Z by SystemAdmin
HitzWitStix
HitzWitStix
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic IBM Support Assistant v4.1 on Windows XP - Will not launch

‏2011-02-02T15:36:13Z |
Hello:

I just downloaded and installed ISA v4.1 today on my laptop which is running Windows XP SP3. The installer appeared to run fine. When I launch using the desktop icon or the program files icon, nothing happens.

I watched the processes activity with procmon and can see rcplauncher starting and then eclipse.exe starting. Then they both just die. I've not found any useful messages in the <home>\IBM\ISAV41\logs directory. As an experiment, I deleted the <home>\IBM\ISAV41 dir completely and tried again. When I do that, I do get a splash screen and as expected, all the directories and config files are recreated there, but once again, the processes die, no logs, no screens.

I sure would like to use this tool.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Chris
Updated on 2013-02-11T03:41:41Z at 2013-02-11T03:41:41Z by SystemAdmin
  • riddlemo
    riddlemo
    33 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: IBM Support Assistant v4.1 on Windows XP - Will not launch

‏2011-02-03T03:19:45Z  in response to HitzWitStix
    You could try "rcplauncher -console" from the command line but any messages my not be able to be read before the process exits.

in the %HOME%/IBM/isav4/.config./rcpinstall.properties change the following line

.level=WARNING
    to
    .level=FINEST

This will increase logging levels and might provide some additional information.

Regards,
    Dennis Riddlemoser
    IBM Support Assistant
  • HitzWitStix
    HitzWitStix
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-02-03T15:19:56Z  in response to HitzWitStix
    It appears that I may have found a remedy, at least to get the workbench to launch.

I changed <HOME>\IBM\ISAv41\.config\rcpinstall.properties

vmarg.Xmx=-Xmx1270m

To:

vmarg.Xmx=-Xmx512m

This change allowed the workbench to now start. I'll spend some time using the workbench now and see if 512 is enough heap for it. I expect it not to be, but will see.
    • riddlemo
      riddlemo
      33 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-02-04T03:03:05Z  in response to HitzWitStix
      This is the first report of having to reduce the maximum heap size that I am aware of. I suspect 512M will work as long as you are not analyzing heap dumps. You should not have to have the max that, low, however. We tested on multiple Win XP SP3 systems and I am currently running the WB on two different Win XP SP3 systems. Check the memory stats in the Performance tab of Task Manager. Possibly that might provide some clues.

Regards,
      Dennis Riddlemoser
      IBM Support Assistant
    • rrebolledo
      rrebolledo
      1 Post
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-10T20:01:02Z  in response to HitzWitStix
      @HitzWitStix:

That works for me!

Thanks!
      • SamuelWu
        SamuelWu
        5 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-13T21:04:46Z  in response to rrebolledo
        I ran into the same problem. Tried rcplauncher -console, the message was gone before I could read it.
        I didn't see a .config directory in my instance of ISA 4.1. There are three directries, rcp, license and shared after installation.
        My machine is XP
        • SamuelWu
          SamuelWu
          5 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-13T21:15:09Z  in response to SamuelWu
          Found .config in my workspace. My .config\rcpinstall.properties doesn't have vmarg.Xmx option. Added it as the following.
          vmarg.Xmx=-Xmx512m
          It didn't help.
          • rbwright
            rbwright
            221 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-16T16:56:11Z  in response to SamuelWu
            Hello,

Here are some other things you might want to try.

1. Your rcpinstall.properties file should have had a max heap size property set to "vmarg.Xmx=-Xmx1270m" by default. Since yours didn't have that property, verify that you're running version 4.1.2.00. Go to "Help -> About IBM Support Assistant Workbench". If you're not running version 4.1.2.00 then uninstall and download the latest version here: http://www-01.ibm.com/software/support/isa/download.html.

2. A corrupt rcpinstall.properties file can result in the type of startup problem described in the original post in this thread. Restore the original rcpinstall.properties file and then try starting the workbench after closing all other applications on the system. If this works then the problem might be that there's not enough free contiguous memory when you launch ISA when other applications running.

3. Check the logs. Since the workbench won't start you'll need to go to the logs directory in the ISA workspace and open them in a browser from there. They're located in <ISA_workspace>/logs. There's a rolling set of logs named trace-log-<digit>.xml and error-log-<digit>.xml. Open the trace and error XML logs in a browser and review them for messages that might help diagnose the problem. The logs will be displayed in a human readable format.

4. Start with a clean ISA workspace by renaming the current one and then starting ISA. If this works then you'll need to reinstall any product or tool add-ons that you previously installed.

Regards,
            Russell
            • SamuelWu
              SamuelWu
              5 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-04-16T18:52:08Z  in response to rbwright
              It turned out to be a user error. Somehow when zip file isa.wb.412-win32 was unzipped, the directory updatesite\plugins was empty. Once I installed it again, it works fine.
              Thanks.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          642 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-11T03:36:29Z  in response to SamuelWu
          using

rcplauncher -debug -console

keeps the command window from disappearing, and then can see the actual error:
          "JVMJ9VM015W Initialization error for library j9gc24(2): Failed to instantiate heap; 1270M requested"

which confirms that for some reason, on my machine too, the Xmx1270m is too much, and once I lowered it in file rcpinstall.properties to (at most) 768m, then it worked.

Not sure that's the best place to change it though, since at every platform update, it gets reset back to Xmx1270m and have to edit it again.
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            642 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-11T03:41:41Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            I should have mentioned my predicament was on Windows 7.