Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2011-01-19T09:48:27Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
25 Posts

Pinned topic Memory usage on Client

‏2011-01-18T15:09:45Z |
I've been doing some testing with the XC10 device to manage session persistence compared to managing session persistence with a remote eXtreme Scale data grid. I've created large HTTP Sessions (4 x 1MB Objects) with low concurrent HTTP Session volumes (50 concurrent sessions). There doesn't seem to be any difference in the memory usage on the client between the XC10 and remote eXtreme Scale data grid. Surely this is not correct? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Updated on 2011-01-19T09:48:27Z at 2011-01-19T09:48:27Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    25 Posts

Re: Memory usage on Client

‏2011-01-18T15:23:11Z  
    Hi Ankia,

Sorry I don't understand why you'd expect different memory usage on the client given the two described configurations. In both cases the session objects will be held outside the process space of the client therefore I'd expect the client's memory to be the same in these scenarios.

Thanks,
    Tom
  • bkmartin
    bkmartin
    11 Posts

‏2011-01-19T02:37:44Z  
    Hi Ankia,

Sorry I don't understand why you'd expect different memory usage on the client given the two described configurations. In both cases the session objects will be held outside the process space of the client therefore I'd expect the client's memory to be the same in these scenarios.

Thanks,
    Tom
    As Tom stated, you are comparing two identical scenarios (remote XC10 vs remote XS). You should also be aware in both of these scenarios, the HTTP sessions will be held in the application server memory up to the default number of sessions that can be held (I'm pretty sure that default is 2000 --- this value is configurable in the splicer.properties). So a remote XC10 grid or remote XS grid are both being written to in write-through mode from this local HTTP session cache in the application server memory. Recently used session objects will be residing in both the application server and the remote grid, so your memory utilization will be the same for the remote grid and even local memory sessions up to the default session count. Once the local session count exceeds the configured value, sessions are purged from the application server memory and then only reside in the remote grid until they are requested by the application server again.

Brian
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    25 Posts

‏2011-01-19T09:48:27Z  
    Thank you for your reply. I posted the question wrong. I meant to say that I tested session management with XC10 AS WELL AS a remote eXtremeScale grid and got very high memory usage on the client which I didn't expect. I compared these 2 scenarios to in-memory session management and off course didn't see a difference in memory usage due to the sessionTableSize property within the splicer.properties file being set to 2000. It now makes perfectly sense. Thank you so much.