Topic
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-03-01T19:20:59Z by SystemAdmin
sidelmou
sidelmou
1 Post
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Unable to pull cartridge out of slot - cartridge blocked Code: 8A 4D

‏2011-01-18T12:07:28Z |
Hello All,

From last day, we receive an email from TS3200 the folowing error message :

Unable to pull cartridge out of slot - cartridge blocked
Code: 8A 4D

And the system is blocked.

Please to inform us what's the problem and hon to resolve it?

Thanks in advance
Updated on 2013-03-01T19:20:59Z at 2013-03-01T19:20:59Z by SystemAdmin
  • Khue
    Khue
    211 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Unable to pull cartridge out of slot - cartridge blocked Code: 8A 4D

‏2011-01-18T14:55:59Z  in response to sidelmou
    Check whatever application you have using the tape drive. It may have a stuck job. After you have confirmed nothing to be using the actual tape drive, I would try moving the tape manually by using the Web UI. Try to manually move the tape out of the drive to an empty drive slot that ISN'T your dedicated cleaning slot or any of the I/O slots. In the event you still cannot perform the move, try power cycling the TS3200 to see if you can move the tape after power cycling. You will have to restart the application server if you have the TS3200 hooked up through a SCSI interface. I am not sure you have to restart the application server if you are using Fiber.

Short of these troubleshooting methods, you may have a real problem and you may have to contact IBM to see what they recommend. I am crazy enough to try and remove the tape with my hand by opening the TS3200, but then again our TS3200 is out of warranty and has many miles on it. I don't recommend doing anything physically to the TS3200 without IBM advising.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    4779 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Unable to pull cartridge out of slot - cartridge blocked Code: 8A 4D

‏2013-03-01T19:20:59Z  in response to sidelmou
    I occasionally run into the "Unable to pull cartridge out of slot" issue. Most of the time, I just move the tape to other slot and it works again. But this type of failure drives me nuts especially you have many data center issues the same day.

For the tape which gives me the problem, I did the following test:

1) Use a finger to push out the problematic tape from the magazine with that particular slot. Then compare the force that you apply to the other working tape in other slot. For my case, it took me more force to push out the problematic one.

At the end, my co-worker figured out the slot's front entry has a piece of clear plastic (up and down) which hold the tape stable and the problematic tape was slight bent up when lay flat. I just hold a tape with both thumbs on top of a tape and slightly applied force to bend the tape down to make a tape flat.

After that, do the test in step 1) above. The amount of force required to push out the problematic tape is much less. And I was able to label the tape afterward.

To me, it indicates that service may be needed on the tape library since it does not have enough force to push out tape. Or the tape itself is defective.