Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-01-11T21:43:22Z by doongjk
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
32 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic FileNet CMIS Query not returning checked out documents

‏2011-01-10T19:39:31Z |
I am running a simple query ..

http://10.1.10.20:9082/fncmis/resources/OS1/Query?q=select * from MEMBER_DOCUMENT

The results are missing checkout documents.

I was expecting to see all documents that satisfy this query. In IBM CM CMIS TechPreview, results include 'Checked Out' documents with a flag set on the return result.

Is this the correct behaviour for FileNet CMIS implementation. Am I missing a flag?

Sreenivas
Updated on 2011-01-11T21:43:22Z at 2011-01-11T21:43:22Z by doongjk
  • TigerTrix
    TigerTrix
    30 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: FileNet CMIS Query not returning checked out documents

‏2011-01-11T00:27:20Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Edited: If FileNet, ignore the following comment. The following applies only to IBM Content Manager tech preview for CMIS.

Search is against published versions of documents. In IBM Content Manager, a version is an established copy, archived or published for all and governed only by its ACL for access. A private working copy (PWC), or draft, is not a document version. So PWCs will not come back in search results. In CMIS, documents can have PWCs, but PWCs themselves are not a standalone document. You should see a PWC URL on document entries when checked out and PWCs could exist. So you cannot search on a PWC, but if you have a real, published version of a document that isn't only a PWC, then you could search for published documents, and then see PWC links. I haven't confirmed if the PWC URL is being added to documents. But I think your original comment is about PWCs not appearing direclty in the search results. In FileNet, when you checkout a document, a place-holder, or reservation, is created that is considered a version natively in the repository. In IBM Content Manager, checkout locks the document only. No version is created until you check in the draft and it follows the versioning policy on the item type definition.

Aside from PWCs, search all versions is a very recent feature added for CM8. I am not sure if it made it into the 003.2 / 003.3 December 2010 updates or fixed later in December and not yet released. I am double checking. This feature would control your ability to see all versions or just the latest version in search results, still omitting PWCs directly in the result.

You can search for checked out documents. But only if you are still searching for published copyies of the documents, not a PWC. You can checkout a document, and it is only locked in the repository. You can search for that document and should be able to tell that it is currently locked or not. After you checkout, you might save changes as a PWC and not checkin for all to see yet. You will still see the original locked published copy of the document in search, but will not see the PWC directly in search results. But again, in CMIS, documents contain their PWCs, and there is a URL on documents for PWCs. Again, I haven't verified if the PWC link is working correclty on the documents that are returned in search. I am confident they are working on other feeds, and due to common utilities to render a feed, I suspect if it works for one, it would work for others. However search might have a unique feed utility due to the adaptable select clause.
    • DonAdkins
      DonAdkins
      1 Post
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-01-10T23:41:03Z  in response to TigerTrix
      Tigertrix,
      The search Sreenivas refers to is:

q=select * from MEMBER_DOCUMENT where MEMBER_ID = '123'

but FilenetCMIS internally changes that to:

q=SELECT * FROM MEMBER_DOCUMENT WHERE ( ( http://MEMBER_ID] = 123 ) AND (MEMBER_DOCUMENT.IsCurrentVersion=TRUE AND MEMBER_DOCUMENT.IsReserved=FALSE) )

.... adding the extra where clause qualifiers. (we noticed this when we formatted an invalid query using mismatched types) So, the end result of the search does not include any documents in a checked out state .. which do exist as published versions.

How do we get FilenetCMIS NOT to add those qualifiers?

We aren't looking at how to search for PWCs. We have found that this URL works: http://10.1.10.20:9082/fncmis/resources/OS1/checkedout works to get the checked out documents only.

We're running this prototype against both CM and Filenet. The simple query works using the latest CM CMIS preview (w/CM8.4.2). But the behavior of filtering checkedout documents shows up when we run against Filenet v5.

Thanks for any help.
      Don
      • TigerTrix
        TigerTrix
        30 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-01-11T00:32:48Z  in response to DonAdkins
        I'm sorry, I missed the fact that you clearly stated "FileNet" in the title and was answering for the IBM Content Manager tech preview for CMIS.

IBM CMIS for FileNet Content Manager 1.0 and is now supported by both official support and a new IBM CMIS for FileNet Content Manager Forum. The IBM FileNet tech preview for CMIS is no longer available and no longer supported by this forum. This forum is always interested in feedback that can apply to both. But we should pose this question on the active FileNet forum for CMIS.

Meanwhile there are FileNet experts who actively monitor this forum and hopefully an answer can be provided.
  • doongjk
    doongjk
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-01-11T21:43:22Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    The default versioning setting is to search against the latest versions of the documents, that is what the extra FN clause is doing.

You can set the searchAllVersions parameter for the Query to true, which will not append the extra FN clause.

http://10.1.10.20:9082/fncmis/resources/OS1/Query?q=select * from MEMBER_DOCUMENT&searchAllVersions=true