Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
11 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-11-05T20:18:39Z by chidamla
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
346 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic DOORS 9.3 does not see RDS

‏2011-01-06T13:13:44Z |
I know this problem may be too difficult ot solve here, but I will give it a shot. Sometimes it's the obvious.

- RDS successfully connects to AD (we see AD users in the RDS console)

- DOORS 9.3 does NOT see RDS users.
What would be the first thing you would look for?? Before we hire IBM consultants..
Many thanks.

peter
Updated on 2012-11-05T20:18:39Z at 2012-11-05T20:18:39Z by chidamla
  • llandale
    llandale
    241 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: DOORS 9.3 does not see RDS

‏2011-01-06T18:48:56Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Have no idea.

But the first thing I'd check for is compatibility of the versions of the products; perhaps v9.3 requires a newer version of RDS. Then I'd compare my v9.2 settings (that work) with the v9.3 settings (that don't work). Then I'd go to RDS and make sure it can indeed talk to two databases at the same time; perhaps it needs to be redirected to the new database.

OK, I really mean the '2nd' thing, you've already done the 1st which is to post and hope.

• Louie
  • SudarshanRao
    SudarshanRao
    16 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-01-07T13:01:38Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I hope you've got the Tivoli variant of RDS (apache variant will not work with DOORS)

If you're using Tivoli variant itself, then suggestions would vary on what exactly is the problem - is the Test Connection successful? If that is successful, have you tried logging in as any user? What's the error you get if you try logging in?

I suggest getting in touch with IBM Support.

Cheers,
    Sudarshan
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      346 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-01-28T19:33:08Z  in response to SudarshanRao
      I'm seeing the exact same thing. I am running DOORS 9.3 and RDS 5.2. When I perform a connection test, it connects to the server (either secure and not). When I start DOORS I get the folloowing error:

"Problem communicating with LDAP server: RDS is unavailable and only Administrator logon is permitted"

Anyone have any other tricks that I might try?

Is anyone running with these versions?
      • karringordon
        karringordon
        5 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-02-10T20:24:57Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        We see the exact same thing, with both 9.2.0.4/5.1.0.2 and 9.3/5.1.0.2:
        1. RDA displays corporate users and groups, both with and without metagroups specified.
        2. DOORS Test Connection returns successful both with and without metagroups.
        3. Groups are visible within DOORS Manage Users/Groups, but no users, both with and without metagroups. If no user metagroup is specified, the DOORS Manage User window with a filter of * returns the error message “Please note that search results have been truncated. Consider refining your search filter” and yet still displays no users.
        4. If logging in to DOORS with a corporate user id (which is visible in RDA), we get the standard DOORS error “Invalid username or password”.
        5. Another odd symptom is that in RDA, a right click Properties on a corporate group opens a window showing details of the group, including members of the group. But a right click Properties on a user does nothing, no pop up, no details, nothing.

Steve,
        When we receive your error “Problem communicating with LDAP server…” it indicates the “Tivoli Directory Service Instance V6.2 – tdsadmin” service is not running. If I remember correctly, this service does not appear on the Windows console upon installation of Tivoli, we had to follow instructions provided by Support to specifically create the controllable service. Without a service you either have to use .bat files (I think but might be wrong) or reboot the box.

We’ve had a PMR open since September, and our last input from RDS Development was in November. Not a word since, and I’ve asked repeatedly. We are in the process of procuring another sandbox server so we can try 5.2, while keeping 5.1.0.2 running for continued PMR investigation. I’m not optimistic, especially after finding this thread, but after running DOORS against ldap for several years now, I really don’t want to have to backtrack and implement local users and create and support the required Security/Audit procedures required by my company.

I’ve also asked Support to connect me with a customer who is successfully running RDS in corporate mode. They insist such customers exist, but won’t ask one of them to contact me. Very frustrating.
        • stumbleshoe
          stumbleshoe
          1 Post
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-02-15T21:01:11Z  in response to karringordon
          We have an open PMR about this same issue when the RDS Corporate Partition is configured to run over SSL. We opened our call originally back in March, 2010 for DOORS 9.2 and RDS 5.1.

We're now on DOORS 9.3 and RDS 5.2 and it only half works. RDS sees users and groups just fine, but we cannot configure the partition to use SSL. If we do, the DOORS client gives the "RDS unavailable" error mentioned above. We've loaded the CA certs from our LDAP servers into the tdsclientkey.kdb on the DOORS client and even tried loading the actual server certificates - no change.

Also, on the DOORS client while the user list shows up, the groups are either empty or sporadically show up with some of the members. Configuring metagroups doesn't seem to change this behavior at all. We get the same filter errors. I wish I could find where the predefined limits are set so we could increase them.
          • DannyBeerens
            DannyBeerens
            2 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-02-22T16:12:54Z  in response to stumbleshoe
            Same problem here at a Large Unnamed Government client: We've installed the Tivoli Directory Server v6.3 (typical install and have add. installed DB2 as well), on which the Rational Directory Server v5.2 has installed the required 'tdsadmin' instance. RDS was configured for "Corporate LDAP Backbone support".
            When configuring DOORS 9.3 to use RDS, the 'Test Connection' option returns that DOORS 9.3 (server database: 36677@server01) can access RDS 5.2 (server host name: server02), secure and non-secure. However when trying to log into DOORS we get the message "Problem communicating with LDAP server: RDS is unavailable and only Administrator logon is permitted".

RDS appears to be running. When using an LDAP browser we can access RDS, without any problems.

Putting my 5 cents in, to get attention from the labs and support.
            • DannyBeerens
              DannyBeerens
              2 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-03-08T13:24:40Z  in response to DannyBeerens
              This is not in any IBM developerWorks, manuals, FAQs or Whitepapers as far as I have googled it, but if the RDS is not configured correctly (i.e. doesn't have any users or groups) you'll get the message mentioned above.

If you can get all RDS- and Tivoli Directory Server (TDS) installation information together eventually everything is described (although not necessarily in the correct order!).
              You need to download: TDS 6.3, DB2 extension for TDS 6.3, RDS 5.2.
              For 'Corporate LDAP Backbone Support' you'll also need to create a partition in RDS, once RDS is installed, that lets you connect to the corporate LDAP.

Key steps described here:
              1. Download TDS 6.3 and the DB2 extension for TDS 6.3.
              2. Unzip the TDS 6.3
              3. Unzip the DB2 extension for TDS 6.3 and copy the content of its 'tdsV6.3’ directory into the content of the TDS 6.3 (base) 'tdsV6.3’ directory. This way you'll get the DB2 option presented during installation of TDS 6.3 (I didn't find this described anywhere in the current TDS 6.3 installation guide). Now start the TDS installation.
              4. During installation only select the installation options: DB2, C Client 6.3, Java Client 6.3 and Server 6.3 (under 'Custom' installation). Do NOT select anything else to install!
              5. Enter the tdsadmin account as the DB2 database admin userID and finish TDS installation (in my experience this works best)
              6. Install RDS, using the option 'Corporate LDAP Backbone Support'. This will create an instance in the TDS DB2 database. You can check this by opening the TDS Admin Console. (If you'd enabled any other option during the TDS installation another instance, using the RDS required ports, would already be available, preventing the RDS installation!)
              7. Once installed, make sure RDS and RDA are running
              8. Open RDA to create a Partition (this will be you read-only connection set-up to the Corporate LDAP)
              9. Go to 'Corporate partitions', select in the Action Menu click 'Create New...' --> 'Partition'
              10. Fill in every required fields and make sure you select 'Configured partition is a Windows Domain Controller’
              11. Fill in the Search Base (For this step you might require an LDAP browser, to find the details for your Search Bases to let the RDS find the users you want to select for your tooling). Search Base looks something like: DC=...,OU=..., etc.
              12. If the Search Base is correct, you'll see that the RDS Users and Groups will now be filled
              13. Now configure DOORS for RDS
              14. Restart DOORS; if everything went as planned, you won't get the annoying message anymore...
              -Finished-
              • Leesa_Hicks
                Leesa_Hicks
                5 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-04-04T23:03:06Z  in response to DannyBeerens
                Is it really necessary to install DB2? The TDS install and configuration guides states that you can use a proxy server to distribute LDAP requests, which has no associated DB requirement. Did you try using the proxy server option?

We are in the process of puzzling out how to upgrade to DOORS 9.3, and using LDAP is much more complex than it is with 8.3 :-(

Leesa Hicks
                Principal Engineer
                Tektronix Instruments
                • karringordon
                  karringordon
                  5 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-01T12:16:57Z  in response to Leesa_Hicks
                  All,

This technote may help:

https://www-304.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?mynp=OCSSYQBZ&mync=E&uid=swg21503110&myns=swgrat

Good luck
                  • MohanRS
                    MohanRS
                    5 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-12-28T08:57:10Z  in response to karringordon
                    I have server "A" which contains TDS 6.3 and RDS 5.2 . Iam going to install DOORS 9.3 in server "B".

How do this integrate, please advice.
                    Thanks all.
                    • chidamla
                      chidamla
                      1 Post
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-05T20:18:39Z  in response to MohanRS
                      Same problem for me. But it is peculiar; occurs only to one user who connects via VPN. Other users in LAN & WAN are able to access DOORS properly.
                      From the user's PC, Telnet to db port, license port and RDS port is successful. User is able to login via DWA, but facing the same issue when trying with DOORS client. User has changed her laptop recently; DOORS client was working properly in her previous laptop.
                      There is no firewall restriction in the server. All ports are open to VPN users also.
                      System spec: DOORS 9.3.0.4 in RHEL 5.2 (64-bit); RDS Tivoli 5.2.

What should be checked in user's desktop to ensure successful login.