• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2011-01-10T19:18:45Z by TigerTrix
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
32 Posts

Pinned topic Getting all versions of document has erratic behaviour

‏2011-01-03T18:33:25Z |
Using IBM CMIS TechPreview version=1.0.003.2 for IBM Content Manager 8.4.2

Using Apache Chemistry executing this query ..
http://10.1.10.17:9060/OpenCMIS/browse?url=http://10.1.10.17:9080/cm8cmis/resources/icmnlsdb/Allversions/$d!1153_A1001001A10L29B54307G61151v4

I see 2 documents. However, there are four versions (including latest version) in IBM CM and verified using e-Client.

I say strange behaviour, coz in some cases .. I long get the latest version. This is the first time, I am getting 2 out of 4.

Sreeni
Updated on 2011-01-10T19:18:45Z at 2011-01-10T19:18:45Z by TigerTrix
  • TigerTrix
    TigerTrix
    30 Posts

Re: Getting all versions of document has erratic behaviour

‏2011-01-04T22:17:11Z  
    This should have been addressed in the 003.2 version posted in December 2010. Can you please confirm that you are using the December 2010 build 003.2 or 003.3? The version listing was specifically addressed in the December update. Please confirm which version you are using.

Meanwhile, we will look into this as a defect.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    32 Posts

‏2011-01-04T22:30:18Z  
    • TigerTrix
    • ‏2011-01-04T22:17:11Z
    This should have been addressed in the 003.2 version posted in December 2010. Can you please confirm that you are using the December 2010 build 003.2 or 003.3? The version listing was specifically addressed in the December update. Please confirm which version you are using.

Meanwhile, we will look into this as a defect.
    Thank you. I see my mistake.

From version.txt

product.name=IBM Content Manager Technology Preview for OASIS CMIS
    version=1.0.003.2
    build.number=cm8cmis100.026
    build.timestamp=20101214-1730

I will try it in the x.3 release.

Sreeni
  • TigerTrix
    TigerTrix
    30 Posts

‏2011-01-05T02:25:46Z  
    Thank you. I see my mistake.

From version.txt

product.name=IBM Content Manager Technology Preview for OASIS CMIS
    version=1.0.003.2
    build.number=cm8cmis100.026
    build.timestamp=20101214-1730

I will try it in the x.3 release.

Sreeni
    I think you misunderstand. Both December releases (003.2 & 003.3) should be working. 003.3 does nothing to address this specific issue that isn't already in 003.2. So upgrading to 003.3 only adds multiple user support. If you say this happens on 003.2, we will definitely investigate. We are taking this as a defect for now. If we do confirm the problem and have a fix, the earliest I would plan a possible update around 12/17 at the earliest unless this is urgently needed.

As a first step, we will attempt to reproduce against the REST & WS APIs directly. Btw, you can always use the REST URLs directly in a web browser (FireFox works really well for this, CTRL+U to see source of feed xml) and can see feed results directly just in case this is limited by the application. If possible, we will try through the chemistry client. If it works by the URL manually in FF, then it could be paging related, which would narrow down the problem. For list-based feeds, testing manually against the same URL using FF (IE works too, but not quite as well in my opinion for debugging), it helps see the data aside from what the application is doing with it.

Next step would be to use a TCP/IP monitor between your application and the port the services are running on. This will show the communication to and from. Using an app like Fiddler makes it really easy to watch all communications. But Fiddler sometimes misses some operations, especially if on the same system.
  • TigerTrix
    TigerTrix
    30 Posts

‏2011-01-10T19:18:45Z  
    • TigerTrix
    • ‏2011-01-05T02:25:46Z
    I think you misunderstand. Both December releases (003.2 & 003.3) should be working. 003.3 does nothing to address this specific issue that isn't already in 003.2. So upgrading to 003.3 only adds multiple user support. If you say this happens on 003.2, we will definitely investigate. We are taking this as a defect for now. If we do confirm the problem and have a fix, the earliest I would plan a possible update around 12/17 at the earliest unless this is urgently needed.

As a first step, we will attempt to reproduce against the REST & WS APIs directly. Btw, you can always use the REST URLs directly in a web browser (FireFox works really well for this, CTRL+U to see source of feed xml) and can see feed results directly just in case this is limited by the application. If possible, we will try through the chemistry client. If it works by the URL manually in FF, then it could be paging related, which would narrow down the problem. For list-based feeds, testing manually against the same URL using FF (IE works too, but not quite as well in my opinion for debugging), it helps see the data aside from what the application is doing with it.

Next step would be to use a TCP/IP monitor between your application and the port the services are running on. This will show the communication to and from. Using an app like Fiddler makes it really easy to watch all communications. But Fiddler sometimes misses some operations, especially if on the same system.
    We cannot reproduce the problem. The versions list works perfectly for us in the API, in the FireFox feed browser, and in a version of the Chemistry client. Where did you get your copy of the application from and which version?

The next step is to gather more information about the scenario. Can you please provide specific steps that explain your data model as it releates to versioning, such as item type classification, versioning policies (include whether it is a compound document model ("document") classification and what the versioning policies are on the associated part types (also known as item type relations, such as "ICMBASE"). Then explain what kind of items you create, how you create multiple versions, and exactly what you see. Please also be clear on checkin/checkout state, CMIS PWC (or draft) objects, etc, if you can see them as you step through your order of operations for this scenario.

Next, please confirm you are very confident that you have multiple versions as expected. Try using the command-line tool provided with CMIS called "Browser". If you browse or search for the document, select it to bring up its summary page. See if it lists the version information there or if it offers an option to list versions at the bottom. There is an option to print additional summary information that appears as one of the first options I believe. I don't recall if there is a list all versions option or not. Btw, ignore the Quickr-specific data like download URL which has not yet been modified for CMIS. However, viewing in the eClient should be very reliable too. As the eclient supports only compound documents, I believe this also says something about your data model. Beware of more complicated version policy settings and configuration that configure versioning on the binary parts separately from the parent document. Make sure the parts are set to version always or something. You could be seeing 2 versions of a document with multiple versions of the parts, and they could be displayed differently in eClient. WEBi is another client that might be good to try.

And next, we need to gather troubleshooting information. Use a TCP/IP monitor, or Fiddler, and track all communication when you list the versions. See the request & responses sent between the application and server. It should give a clue for what data is being sent in case this is an application problem. Unfortunately the logging isn't working yet. But you can try to turn it on in log4j.properties, restart the WAS profile, and you might get one working.