• 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2010-12-09T19:44:02Z by erik.gollot
erik.gollot
erik.gollot
28 Posts

Pinned topic RSA + Subclipse

‏2010-12-05T16:58:31Z |
Hey,

I'm trying to test subclipse with an UML model under RSA 7.5.4.
I'm really hate SVN but I need to test it so......
It seems that, unlike CVS or ClearCase, the merge process does not starts the merge tool of RSA. SVN tries to merge the .emx files and if there're conflicts, it generate "merge-left" and "merge-right" files + a corrupted .emx file......impossible to merge !!!

Does someone have an experience with RSA (UML models) and SVN ?

Thanks
Updated on 2010-12-09T19:44:02Z at 2010-12-09T19:44:02Z by erik.gollot
  • SteveArnold
    SteveArnold
    10 Posts

Re: RSA + Subclipse

‏2010-12-06T09:28:16Z  
    Hi

Ok - so firstly it should work with SVN ok - and I have a number of customers who do that - but its not as good as RTC, CC or CVS because as you've found out - you need to merge manually.

So, there are a couple of options, firstly I often recommend that people lock their model files when editing, as it reduces merges. So you can try splitting the model up into multiple files ( off the refactor menu), version controllng them all , and then locking the ones you need to.

Alternatively if you do go down the merge route, then don't let subversion merge the files. It will then give leave the variations in your workspace, you need to rename these back to .emx ( last time I tried this, svn changes the file extension). once this is done, you can select all the files, and choose a manual merge, and then check in the resulting manually merged file.

Hope this helps

Steve
  • erik.gollot
    erik.gollot
    28 Posts

‏2010-12-06T19:09:08Z  
    Hi

Ok - so firstly it should work with SVN ok - and I have a number of customers who do that - but its not as good as RTC, CC or CVS because as you've found out - you need to merge manually.

So, there are a couple of options, firstly I often recommend that people lock their model files when editing, as it reduces merges. So you can try splitting the model up into multiple files ( off the refactor menu), version controllng them all , and then locking the ones you need to.

Alternatively if you do go down the merge route, then don't let subversion merge the files. It will then give leave the variations in your workspace, you need to rename these back to .emx ( last time I tried this, svn changes the file extension). once this is done, you can select all the files, and choose a manual merge, and then check in the resulting manually merged file.

Hope this helps

Steve
    ok, thanks for your answer
    So definitively, SVN is not the right tool for RSM/RSA (and UML models). I cannot imagine to manually merge .emx files. We use CVS and we can merge 2 versions with many differences without too much problems...but because RSM/RSA take control of the merge process.

Thanks
  • SteveArnold
    SteveArnold
    10 Posts

‏2010-12-09T14:36:53Z  
    ok, thanks for your answer
    So definitively, SVN is not the right tool for RSM/RSA (and UML models). I cannot imagine to manually merge .emx files. We use CVS and we can merge 2 versions with many differences without too much problems...but because RSM/RSA take control of the merge process.

Thanks
    Hi

No you can use subversion ok. When I say do a manual merge, all I mean is that you have manually instigate the merge, you still use the rsa model merge tool ( obviously trying to do an XML merge on a xmi file is pretty much bound for disaster).

So you can do it, but it's more manual, hence you want to minimize the number of merges.

The problems come about because the eclipse svn plugins don't do the right lookups to find the right merge tools, and just try and do either a XML merge, or don't do anything. As it turns out you want to get them to treat the model file as binary so they don't try to merge, so that you can do the merge with the rsa merge tools - which as you say are pretty easy to use given the complexity of the task.

Hope this is a bit clearer

Steve
  • erik.gollot
    erik.gollot
    28 Posts

‏2010-12-09T19:05:35Z  
    Hi

No you can use subversion ok. When I say do a manual merge, all I mean is that you have manually instigate the merge, you still use the rsa model merge tool ( obviously trying to do an XML merge on a xmi file is pretty much bound for disaster).

So you can do it, but it's more manual, hence you want to minimize the number of merges.

The problems come about because the eclipse svn plugins don't do the right lookups to find the right merge tools, and just try and do either a XML merge, or don't do anything. As it turns out you want to get them to treat the model file as binary so they don't try to merge, so that you can do the merge with the rsa merge tools - which as you say are pretty easy to use given the complexity of the task.

Hope this is a bit clearer

Steve
    ok, I understand what you've explained.
    Thanks.
    Does Subversive do it the right way ? (if you know!?)
  • erik.gollot
    erik.gollot
    28 Posts

‏2010-12-09T19:44:02Z  
    ok, I understand what you've explained.
    Thanks.
    Does Subversive do it the right way ? (if you know!?)
    Found on IBM site
    Setting up the Rational Software Architect - Subversion Integration
    Technote (troubleshooting)

Problem(Abstract)
    This technote explains one situation where an EMF error is encountered when resolving conflicts as part of the IBM® Rational® Software Architect - Subversion (SVN) integration.

Symptom
    The complete error message is

An EMF error occurred while merging resources: Error opening EMF resource:
    I/O Descriptor: Merged - Model Name.emx
    C:\_SVN-repositories\MySVNSpace\RSA\TestSubclipse\Model Name.emx
    The content of elements must consist of well-formed character data or
    markup. (platform:/resource/TestSubclipse/Model%20Name.Left_0.emx,
    2)
    See error log for details

Cause
    This occurs because Subclipse does not call the correct merge utility to merge the model file (*.emx, *.efx).

Resolving the problem
    Subversive should be used instead of Subclipse when using the Rational Software Architect - Subversion integration.

For information on changing from Subclipse to Subversive, review the Subversive Project link below.

Subclipse should be uninstalled prior to installing Subversive. Subclipse can be uninstalled from the platform by using Manage Configuration.

Note: Subversion is not officially supported by IBM Rational Software, but Subversive 1.0.3 can be used with Rational Software Architect version 6.x and Subversive 1.1.0 can be used with Rational Software Architect version 7.x