Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2010-12-02T14:42:20Z by FredericDelhoume
DanielFelixFerber
DanielFelixFerber
14 Posts

Pinned topic Does IBM ILOG CPlex Optimization Studio allow to install other eclipse plug

‏2010-12-01T16:30:09Z |
Hi,

I would like to know if I may invoke "Software Updates" from the IDE in order to install additional plugins?
The model files are versioned under SVN. Would it be possible to install the eclipse SVN plugins?
I always get a messagem like "Cannot launch the Update UI. Ths installation has not been configured properly for Software Updates". Am I missing sth?

Best regards,
Daniel Felix Ferber
Updated on 2010-12-02T14:42:20Z at 2010-12-02T14:42:20Z by FredericDelhoume
  • FredericDelhoume
    FredericDelhoume
    29 Posts

Re: Does IBM ILOG CPlex Optimization Studio allow to install other eclipse plug

‏2010-12-02T08:25:58Z  
    Hi,

The IDE is a standalone application built on Eclipse platform. As a standalone application we do not provide integrated ways of installing Eclipse plugins, in particular we disabled the Software Update feature.
    However you might still install manually plugins/features in the OPL IDE.
    For example to install subversion go to http://subclipse.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=2240, download site-1.0.6.zip and extract it manually to your oplide directory.
    You should then have access to SVN features in your IDE when you restart it.
  • DanielFelixFerber
    DanielFelixFerber
    14 Posts

‏2010-12-02T11:34:09Z  
    Hi,

The IDE is a standalone application built on Eclipse platform. As a standalone application we do not provide integrated ways of installing Eclipse plugins, in particular we disabled the Software Update feature.
    However you might still install manually plugins/features in the OPL IDE.
    For example to install subversion go to http://subclipse.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=2240, download site-1.0.6.zip and extract it manually to your oplide directory.
    You should then have access to SVN features in your IDE when you restart it.
    Hi,

Thanks for the clarification. Although the software update feature is said to be disabled, it is still available to the user inside the Help menu. It is very confusing have an action provided by the IDE to a feature that is expected not to work.

I really managed to copy the SVN plugin files manually. However, the SVN plugins change to the Team perspective. And the IDE has also disabled switching perspective. That means that once I try to synchronize the project, I cannot switch back to the OPL perspective, unless I know the ctrl+f8 shortcut. Thats a minor issue compared to the importance of have the model files versioned by SVN.

In my opinion, as the IDE is application built on Eclipse platform, it should integrate better with other interesting Eclipse plugins.
  • FredericDelhoume
    FredericDelhoume
    29 Posts

‏2010-12-02T12:12:22Z  
    Hi,

Thanks for the clarification. Although the software update feature is said to be disabled, it is still available to the user inside the Help menu. It is very confusing have an action provided by the IDE to a feature that is expected not to work.

I really managed to copy the SVN plugin files manually. However, the SVN plugins change to the Team perspective. And the IDE has also disabled switching perspective. That means that once I try to synchronize the project, I cannot switch back to the OPL perspective, unless I know the ctrl+f8 shortcut. Thats a minor issue compared to the importance of have the model files versioned by SVN.

In my opinion, as the IDE is application built on Eclipse platform, it should integrate better with other interesting Eclipse plugins.
    Yes, you are right the menu should be disabled completely. Also we should better handle regular Eclipse plugins, in fact we should allow directly OPL as plugins in a regular Eclipse. I think you can just do that, that is install all OPL IDE plugins/features in a regular Eclipse installation (without the ilog.odms.ide.rcp plugin).
  • DanielFelixFerber
    DanielFelixFerber
    14 Posts

‏2010-12-02T12:29:30Z  
    Yes, you are right the menu should be disabled completely. Also we should better handle regular Eclipse plugins, in fact we should allow directly OPL as plugins in a regular Eclipse. I think you can just do that, that is install all OPL IDE plugins/features in a regular Eclipse installation (without the ilog.odms.ide.rcp plugin).
    Hi, thanks. Lets hope OPL IDE becomes a regular Eclipse in future.
    I considered copying OPL plugin/features to regular Eclipse, as you mentioned, but I am not sure if this could have legal issues. It looks like 'reverse engineering'. Just in case, I feel more comfortable with the OPL IDE+svn solution :-).
    Best regards
    Daniel Felix Ferber
  • FredericDelhoume
    FredericDelhoume
    29 Posts

‏2010-12-02T14:42:20Z  
    Hi, thanks. Lets hope OPL IDE becomes a regular Eclipse in future.
    I considered copying OPL plugin/features to regular Eclipse, as you mentioned, but I am not sure if this could have legal issues. It looks like 'reverse engineering'. Just in case, I feel more comfortable with the OPL IDE+svn solution :-).
    Best regards
    Daniel Felix Ferber
    Exetending the OPL IDE with Eclipse plugins is not supported, so you might do it, but it may not work or the UI might be not bvery usable. What we recommend is extending a standard Eclipse installation with OPL IDE plugins.
    You can copy your oplide folder in an Eclipse 3.4.2 dropins folder.
    See http://dsdp.eclipse.org/help/latest/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/reference/misc/p2_dropins_format.html for more information.