• 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2010-11-30T09:46:21Z by SystemAdmin
Michael@MQSystems
Michael@MQSystems
2 Posts

Pinned topic How to connect coordination queuemanagers

‏2010-11-25T21:38:22Z |
Hi,
I am looking to find out how coordination queuemanagers can be connected to know about each others agents.

the redbook SG247760 - Getting Started with WebSphere MQ File Transfer Edition V7 on page 25 says you need to
do this via pub/sub hierarchy but do I only need to set one the coordination queuemanagers as child of the other?

I already have the distributed queueing part setup, I only need both coordination queuemanagers to 'see' eachothers
agents... i.e. connect the explorer gui to one coordination queuemanager and also be able to send something to the agents belonging to the other coordination queuemanager.

thanks in advance,

Michael
Updated on 2010-11-30T09:46:21Z at 2010-11-30T09:46:21Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    64 Posts

Re: How to connect coordination queuemanagers

‏2010-11-26T14:41:59Z  
    I think my first question would be "why do you need to have 2 coordination queue managers" ?

FTE does not have well defined behaviour when dealing with multiple FTE networks simultaneously. Doing things with multiple FTE Networks may cause unexpected or unforseen issues, and is best avoided if you can.

Before going ahead with a topology like this, make doubly certain you know exactly what you are doing and why you are doing it.

If your goal is to have one MQ Explorer able to connect to 2 different coordination queue managers and display the agents there then you can just make it aware of the second Coordination queue manager by defining the configuration for it. In your FTE Documentation and Tools installation you will already have a set of configuration for one of the coordination queue managers. All you need to do is run the command line tools to generate the configuration for the second coordination queue manager (and restart MQExplorer, perhaps more than once) and you will be able to connect into it using the MQ Explorer plugin.

fteSetupCoordination.cmd -coordinationQMgr coordqm2 -coordinationQMgrHost coordqm2host -coordinationQMgrPort coordqm2port
    fteSetupCommands.cmd -connectionQMgr coordqm2 -connectionQMgrHost coordqm2host -connectionQMgrport coordqm2port -p coordqm2

Note - don't forget the "-p coordqm2" part on the second command or it will try to redefine the commandQM on your default CoordQM rather that under your new second coordQM.

This should make the new coordination QM show up under the "Managed File Transfer" node in MQ Explorer, just right click on it and select 'connect' (Note, you can't be connected to 2 Coordination queue managers at once, but can swap between them very easily)

If you did go ahead with the complicatd publishing stuff to make agents from another FTE network appear under your main FTE network then there are a number of things to be aware of. Firstly, if the 2 networks have agents of the same name it may be difficult to tell them appart (though in truth, this is also a problem with multiple agents with the same name within one network). If you submit commands to an FTE agent in another network, you won't get any of the Transfer Log or Transfer Progress information for those transfers unless you also set that up to get propagated between the coordination queue managers, and then you will recieve ALL Log and Progress messages from the otehr network. If you are going this far, then I'd be very interested in knowing why you need 2 coordination queue managers in teh first place, as you are effectively turning them into a single one.
    All this said, I have had a quick play and managed to make the agents of 2 FTE networks appear in each other's Coordination queue manager by having both Coordination QM's in a Cluster and defining a Cluster topic on SYSTEM.FTE/Agents - this is bi-directional between the 2 Coordination queue managers rather than unidirectional, and I would still recommend that you really really make sure you know what you're doing and why, before you go ahead with it.

PS - please note that the FTE Redbook does contain some factual inaccuracies and rather strange ideas on what you could do with FTE - please do not take anything in there as absolute truth. You are better to look at the FTE Infocenter to get technical detail about FTE.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqfte/v7r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.wmqfte.home.doc/help_home_wmqfte.htm
  • Michael@MQSystems
    Michael@MQSystems
    2 Posts

‏2010-11-30T09:25:01Z  
    I think my first question would be "why do you need to have 2 coordination queue managers" ?

FTE does not have well defined behaviour when dealing with multiple FTE networks simultaneously. Doing things with multiple FTE Networks may cause unexpected or unforseen issues, and is best avoided if you can.

Before going ahead with a topology like this, make doubly certain you know exactly what you are doing and why you are doing it.

If your goal is to have one MQ Explorer able to connect to 2 different coordination queue managers and display the agents there then you can just make it aware of the second Coordination queue manager by defining the configuration for it. In your FTE Documentation and Tools installation you will already have a set of configuration for one of the coordination queue managers. All you need to do is run the command line tools to generate the configuration for the second coordination queue manager (and restart MQExplorer, perhaps more than once) and you will be able to connect into it using the MQ Explorer plugin.

fteSetupCoordination.cmd -coordinationQMgr coordqm2 -coordinationQMgrHost coordqm2host -coordinationQMgrPort coordqm2port
    fteSetupCommands.cmd -connectionQMgr coordqm2 -connectionQMgrHost coordqm2host -connectionQMgrport coordqm2port -p coordqm2

Note - don't forget the "-p coordqm2" part on the second command or it will try to redefine the commandQM on your default CoordQM rather that under your new second coordQM.

This should make the new coordination QM show up under the "Managed File Transfer" node in MQ Explorer, just right click on it and select 'connect' (Note, you can't be connected to 2 Coordination queue managers at once, but can swap between them very easily)

If you did go ahead with the complicatd publishing stuff to make agents from another FTE network appear under your main FTE network then there are a number of things to be aware of. Firstly, if the 2 networks have agents of the same name it may be difficult to tell them appart (though in truth, this is also a problem with multiple agents with the same name within one network). If you submit commands to an FTE agent in another network, you won't get any of the Transfer Log or Transfer Progress information for those transfers unless you also set that up to get propagated between the coordination queue managers, and then you will recieve ALL Log and Progress messages from the otehr network. If you are going this far, then I'd be very interested in knowing why you need 2 coordination queue managers in teh first place, as you are effectively turning them into a single one.
    All this said, I have had a quick play and managed to make the agents of 2 FTE networks appear in each other's Coordination queue manager by having both Coordination QM's in a Cluster and defining a Cluster topic on SYSTEM.FTE/Agents - this is bi-directional between the 2 Coordination queue managers rather than unidirectional, and I would still recommend that you really really make sure you know what you're doing and why, before you go ahead with it.

PS - please note that the FTE Redbook does contain some factual inaccuracies and rather strange ideas on what you could do with FTE - please do not take anything in there as absolute truth. You are better to look at the FTE Infocenter to get technical detail about FTE.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wmqfte/v7r0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.wmqfte.home.doc/help_home_wmqfte.htm
    It's an intercompany connection so both companies have their own coordination queuemanager.
    I have already found a way to make the 'other' agents known to the explorer (using pub to
    topicstring SYSTEM.FTE/Agents/+AgentName+
    so the user can select the agent as a destination for a transfer, sofar this seems to work
    and fulfills the need.

No need to interconnect the coordination queuemanagers and exchange publications ;-)

as this will probably not be an uncommon way of working, it would have been nice to have some
    documentation with details on how you can add and agent to the explorer dropdown.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    64 Posts

‏2010-11-30T09:46:21Z  
    It's an intercompany connection so both companies have their own coordination queuemanager.
    I have already found a way to make the 'other' agents known to the explorer (using pub to
    topicstring SYSTEM.FTE/Agents/+AgentName+
    so the user can select the agent as a destination for a transfer, sofar this seems to work
    and fulfills the need.

No need to interconnect the coordination queuemanagers and exchange publications ;-)

as this will probably not be an uncommon way of working, it would have been nice to have some
    documentation with details on how you can add and agent to the explorer dropdown.
    Just to make sure - the companies have no interest in the 'auditing' side of things, and are happy that the other company can send them files that they will get no notifications of (through the FTE Log messages anyway)?

Do you need all of the other company/network's agents listed, or would a single 'gateway' agent do?

If it's a single 'gateway' agent, then you could just redefine that agent in the other network using fteCreateAgent (using the agentQMgr details of the real agent, but with the other network's coordination queue manager). If you do this that 'fake' agent information would never be updated if the real gateway agent changed for any reason, so perhaps the publication is a better way.
    For a business to busiless file transfer you may want to take a look at some of the patterns and considerations mentioned in the "Multi-Enterprise File Transfer with WebSphere Connectivity" Redbook - there may be some things in here that may be of interest to you.

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247886.html