• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2011-09-21T10:02:44Z by AnneWorkman
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
15 Posts

Pinned topic Update on Java7 Beta

‏2010-11-12T06:12:21Z |
Dear Beta Participants,

We hope you've seen the recent announcement from IBM and Oracle (http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/32708.wss). We are very excited by this new level of collaboration and feel it will offer significant advantages to our customers and the broader Java community, both around improved compatibility between JREs and in an anticipated accelerated rate of innovation. Needless to say, this marks a very significant strategy change and will directly impact the content of the IBM Java 7 SDK. Most immediately we will be revisiting the amount of Harmony code used in the SDK and shift towards using more code from OpenJDK.

We expect this to have a very significant impact in the technical content of the release. The ultimate quality of the release will be the same (or better, with closer fidelity to the reference codebase), but represents a lot of meaningful change to the various code paths and algorithms used.

We are currently working on a revised plan for subsequent beta drops and would provide updates on that shortly.

Best Regards
(Manohar M.)
Beta Manager
Updated on 2011-09-21T10:02:44Z at 2011-09-21T10:02:44Z by AnneWorkman
  • brettscomputers
    brettscomputers
    2 Posts

Re: Update on Java7 Beta

‏2011-08-11T14:42:10Z  
    Oracle officially released Java 7 last month and has plans to EOL 6 within a year. Is there any indication of when IBM SDK 7 will be released?
  • TrentGray-Donald
    TrentGray-Donald
    2 Posts

‏2011-08-15T18:00:28Z  
    Oracle officially released Java 7 last month and has plans to EOL 6 within a year. Is there any indication of when IBM SDK 7 will be released?
    Hi, I'm the technical lead for IBM Java 7 and can state that our Java 7 will be out before the end of this calendar year. I'm sorry I can't be more specific than that right now but we will announce updates as we get closer to our official launch.
  • brettscomputers
    brettscomputers
    2 Posts

‏2011-08-23T19:17:44Z  
    Hi, I'm the technical lead for IBM Java 7 and can state that our Java 7 will be out before the end of this calendar year. I'm sorry I can't be more specific than that right now but we will announce updates as we get closer to our official launch.
    Thank you for the update. Can you also speculate on the minimum AIX level Java 7 will be supported on? Will AIX 5.3 still be supported with Java 7 or will the minimum jump to 6.1 or 7.1?
  • AnneWorkman
    AnneWorkman
    1 Post

‏2011-09-21T10:02:44Z  
    Thank you for the update. Can you also speculate on the minimum AIX level Java 7 will be supported on? Will AIX 5.3 still be supported with Java 7 or will the minimum jump to 6.1 or 7.1?
    Hi. I am the Project Manager for IBM Java 7. I can confirm that AIX 5.3 is not support on Java 7, the minimum level is AIX 6.1 TL5.

Java 7 is now available to download on developerworks for AIX, and details of supported levels are also available on this page - https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/aix/service.html