IC5Notice: We have upgraded developerWorks Community to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
Topic
  • 42 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-06-26T16:45:05Z by pingzi
SQueija
SQueija
1 Post

Pinned topic PLS Extension Module for IBM SPSS Statistics 19

‏2010-11-05T14:39:18Z |
Hi,

Can anyone tell me where can I download the package to install PLS Extension Module for IBM SPSS Statistics 19.

Thanks
Updated on 2012-11-28T20:23:24Z at 2012-11-28T20:23:24Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1106 Posts

Re: PLS Extension Module for IBM SPSS Statistics 19

‏2010-11-05T14:53:16Z  
    Look for the item
    PASW Statistics PLS extension Module 18.0.0 and later
    on Developer Central in Downloads.
    You will also need to install the numpy and scipy libraries appropriate for your platform. You can find these at
    http://www.scipy.org/Download
    for Windows and Mac.

HTH,
    Jon Peck
  • HenrietteLucander
    HenrietteLucander
    1 Post

Re: PLS Extension Module for IBM SPSS Statistics 18

‏2011-04-10T16:24:14Z  
    Look for the item
    You will also need to install the numpy and scipy libraries appropriate for your platform. You can find these at
    for Windows and Mac.

HTH,
    Jon Peck
    Where can I find the PASW Statistics PLS extension Module 18. I have SPSS for Mac
    /Henriette
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1106 Posts

‏2011-04-10T17:17:18Z  
    Where can I find the PASW Statistics PLS extension Module 18. I have SPSS for Mac
    /Henriette
    Look in the IBM® SPSS® Supplementary Modules - Statistical Tools Collection on this site
    (www.ibm.com/developerworks/spssdevcentral). You can find the collections from the downloads for IBM SPSS Statistics link at the top.

Be sure to read the installation instructions - you will need to download some third-party libraries.

HTH,
    Jon Peck
  • ajs_rdg
    ajs_rdg
    2 Posts

‏2011-04-11T13:53:09Z  
    Look in the IBM® SPSS® Supplementary Modules - Statistical Tools Collection on this site
    (www.ibm.com/developerworks/spssdevcentral). You can find the collections from the downloads for IBM SPSS Statistics link at the top.

Be sure to read the installation instructions - you will need to download some third-party libraries.

HTH,
    Jon Peck
    Downloads for IBM® SPSS® Statistics
    https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home/wiki/We70df3195ec8_4f95_9773_42e448fa9029/page/Downloads%20for%20IBM%C2%AE%20SPSS%C2%AE%20Statistics?lang=en

doesn't seem to get us any closer to discovering PLS. Can't find any mention of it by search there.

Does that mean it doesn't exist any more, or I'm looking in the wrong place, or what?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1106 Posts

‏2011-04-11T14:02:29Z  
    • ajs_rdg
    • ‏2011-04-11T13:53:09Z
    Downloads for IBM® SPSS® Statistics
    https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home/wiki/We70df3195ec8_4f95_9773_42e448fa9029/page/Downloads%20for%20IBM%C2%AE%20SPSS%C2%AE%20Statistics?lang=en

doesn't seem to get us any closer to discovering PLS. Can't find any mention of it by search there.

Does that mean it doesn't exist any more, or I'm looking in the wrong place, or what?
    Do you see the Statistical Tools link on that page? That link takes you to all the statistical modules including PLS.
  • ajs_rdg
    ajs_rdg
    2 Posts

‏2011-04-11T15:22:46Z  
    Do you see the Statistical Tools link on that page? That link takes you to all the statistical modules including PLS.
    > Do you see the Statistical Tools link on that page?
    > That link takes you to all the statistical modules including PLS.

Ah! There we are. Much better than using the Search box. Thank you!
  • PLSLOOKER
    PLSLOOKER
    2 Posts

‏2011-05-02T21:40:17Z  
    Hi,

I have download all the files that are on the page "PLS.zip" and tried all of the 6 versions but I always receive the following error :

>Erreur # 6887. Nom de la commande : BEGIN PROGRAM
    >Echec du programme externe pendant l’initialisation.
    >Cette commande n'a pas été exécutée.
    Additional error message: spss.pth points to wrong plug-in version.

Can you tell me why and how I can make this PLS regression work ?

Thanks a lot
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1106 Posts

‏2011-05-02T22:04:42Z  
    • PLSLOOKER
    • ‏2011-05-02T21:40:17Z
    Hi,

I have download all the files that are on the page "PLS.zip" and tried all of the 6 versions but I always receive the following error :

>Cette commande n'a pas été exécutée.
    Additional error message: spss.pth points to wrong plug-in version.

Can you tell me why and how I can make this PLS regression work ?

Thanks a lot
    Have you read the installation instructions included in the download?

You only need the latest version of the download package.

The error message indicates a problem with the Python Essentials or Plugin installation. Have you installed this? What version of Statistics and what platform are you using?

You can test your Python installation by running this code from the syntax window.

begin program.
    import spss
    print 'ok'
    end program.

-Jon Peck
  • PLSLOOKER
    PLSLOOKER
    2 Posts

‏2011-05-03T14:03:47Z  

The error message indicates a problem with the Python Essentials or Plugin installation. Have you installed this? What version of Statistics and what platform are you using?

You can test your Python installation by running this code from the syntax window.

begin program.
    import spss
    print 'ok'
    end program.

-Jon Peck
    Well I've found the answer in an another topic. I had tried the trial of SPSS 19 and python was configured for this one.

Thank you for your help. Nevertheless, i think that the downloads are really hard to find on this site. I had look a long time and tried the "Search" many times before to find the PLS that i needed.

Bye and thanks
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1106 Posts

‏2011-05-03T14:18:14Z  
    • PLSLOOKER
    • ‏2011-05-03T14:03:47Z
    Well I've found the answer in an another topic. I had tried the trial of SPSS 19 and python was configured for this one.

Thank you for your help. Nevertheless, i think that the downloads are really hard to find on this site. I had look a long time and tried the "Search" many times before to find the PLS that i needed.

Bye and thanks
    The Python Essentials should have worked with the trial version of Statistics, but I guess you are past that problem now.

The PLS module is in the Statistical Tools Collection. Did you go through the wiki page and the Collections list? I would like to understand where your search went off the rails. Maybe we can make the structure clearer.

-Jon Peck
  • antistats
    antistats
    2 Posts

Re: PLS Extension Module for IBM SPSS Statistics 19

‏2012-03-21T20:23:13Z  
    Greetings all,

It is my turn to ask for help with finding PLS Extension Module for SPSS Statistics 20. Thank you for your help.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1106 Posts

Re: PLS Extension Module for IBM SPSS Statistics 20

‏2012-11-07T16:31:19Z  
    Look for the item
    for Windows and Mac.

HTH,
    Jon Peck
    Hi Jon, I have tried my best to read the posts in this thread for PLS extension module, I am struggling.
    I have a copy of SPSS 20 for mac and I need to run PLS regression, so it told me to get the extension module.

I downloaded R version 2.15.2 and Python version 3.3 for mac (my OS is version 10.6.8).
    They are installed in my computer.
    I also found the pls.zip but I don't understand the instructions.

Do I have to open the R version and the Python separately? I dont know what to do with them.
    Or I just install them and leave it.

I don't know how SPSS connects to this R and Python thing, if I am not mistaken is this the numpy and scipy thing. The IBM website, frankly, is not easy for people like me to understand especially when we don't know computer language (yes I am aware I should learn it eventually).

Please, how do I set it up? Where do I put the PLS.py and the plscommand.xml?
    On my directory, when I go to "library/application support/IBM/SPSS/Statistics/20/Eclipse/"
    I can see two folders, Configuration and temp.

I am struggling as I don't know computer programming language.
    I only use SPSS solely for statistics I would be most grateful for your help.

thanks very much
    from GoldMouse
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1106 Posts

‏2012-11-07T18:05:21Z  
    Hi Jon, I have tried my best to read the posts in this thread for PLS extension module, I am struggling.
    I have a copy of SPSS 20 for mac and I need to run PLS regression, so it told me to get the extension module.

I downloaded R version 2.15.2 and Python version 3.3 for mac (my OS is version 10.6.8).
    They are installed in my computer.
    I also found the pls.zip but I don't understand the instructions.

Do I have to open the R version and the Python separately? I dont know what to do with them.
    Or I just install them and leave it.

I don't know how SPSS connects to this R and Python thing, if I am not mistaken is this the numpy and scipy thing. The IBM website, frankly, is not easy for people like me to understand especially when we don't know computer language (yes I am aware I should learn it eventually).

Please, how do I set it up? Where do I put the PLS.py and the plscommand.xml?
    On my directory, when I go to "library/application support/IBM/SPSS/Statistics/20/Eclipse/"
    I can see two folders, Configuration and temp.

I am struggling as I don't know computer programming language.
    I only use SPSS solely for statistics I would be most grateful for your help.

thanks very much
    from GoldMouse
    You have several wrong steps here.
    • PLS has nothing to do with R. It is written in Python, so you need the Python Essentials that match your version of Statistics. Most Macs already have Python installed, but it would not be version 3.3. It needs to be 2.7, which is what Statistics 20 uses. If you do need to use R packages with Statistics for some other procedure, you need the specified R version, which would be 2.12 for Statistics 20
    • The PLS.py module and xml files would go in the same location as other Python extensions for Statistics. I forget the location on the Mac, but if you install the Python Essentials, you will see other extensions in the same place.
    Open a syntax window and run this command.
    SHOW EXTENSIONS.
    That will tell you where you can put the files.
    You will still need to install the appropriate versions of numpy and scipy that are consistent with Python 2.7 and the 32 or 64 bit version of the Essentials matching your Statistics version. There is information in the FAQ on this site about how to find those. They are not distributed by IBM.

HTH,
    Jon Peck
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1106 Posts

‏2012-11-08T19:16:22Z  
    You have several wrong steps here.
    • PLS has nothing to do with R. It is written in Python, so you need the Python Essentials that match your version of Statistics. Most Macs already have Python installed, but it would not be version 3.3. It needs to be 2.7, which is what Statistics 20 uses. If you do need to use R packages with Statistics for some other procedure, you need the specified R version, which would be 2.12 for Statistics 20
    • The PLS.py module and xml files would go in the same location as other Python extensions for Statistics. I forget the location on the Mac, but if you install the Python Essentials, you will see other extensions in the same place.
    Open a syntax window and run this command.
    SHOW EXTENSIONS.
    That will tell you where you can put the files.
    You will still need to install the appropriate versions of numpy and scipy that are consistent with Python 2.7 and the 32 or 64 bit version of the Essentials matching your Statistics version. There is information in the FAQ on this site about how to find those. They are not distributed by IBM.

HTH,
    Jon Peck
    hi jon
    thanks very much for your reply. This time I have downloaded and installed:
    numpy_1.7.0b1_py2.7_python.org_macosx10.3
    scipy_0.11.0-py2.7_python.org_macosx10.3

I am so sorry to have to ask you to explain everything step-by-step.

please could you explain in detail when you said to open a syntax window to run the command Show extensions.
    Where can I find the syntax window? Is it terminal? I don't know where to look.

so if I can find where to put the pls.py and .xml files, I can run partial least squares regression on spss?

thanks very much again
    from GoldMouse
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1106 Posts

‏2012-11-08T19:48:20Z  
    hi jon
    thanks very much for your reply. This time I have downloaded and installed:
    numpy_1.7.0b1_py2.7_python.org_macosx10.3
    scipy_0.11.0-py2.7_python.org_macosx10.3

I am so sorry to have to ask you to explain everything step-by-step.

please could you explain in detail when you said to open a syntax window to run the command Show extensions.
    Where can I find the syntax window? Is it terminal? I don't know where to look.

so if I can find where to put the pls.py and .xml files, I can run partial least squares regression on spss?

thanks very much again
    from GoldMouse
    I think you would benefit from spending some time doing the Tutorial on the Help menu.

As for a syntax window:
    File > New > Syntax

To run the commands you enter, use the Run menu in the syntax window.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1106 Posts

‏2012-11-08T20:13:21Z  
    I think you would benefit from spending some time doing the Tutorial on the Help menu.

As for a syntax window:
    File > New > Syntax

hi Jon
    thanks very much for your reply
    I didn't realise that you meant a new syntax on SPSS.
    OK I will put the .py amd .xml where it says to go /Library/Application Support/IBM/SPSS/Statistics/20/extensions

will post again
    from GoldMouse
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1106 Posts

‏2012-11-08T20:26:11Z  

As for a syntax window:
    File > New > Syntax

hi again Jon
    please help me

I don't see extensions folder when I looked for it; is SPSS asking me to make my own extensions folder?

when I found the IBM folder, next SPSS, next Statistics, next 20, next Eclipse
    and inside Eclipse is configuration and temp.

where do the pls. files go?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1106 Posts

‏2012-11-09T13:58:46Z  
    hi again Jon
    please help me

I don't see extensions folder when I looked for it; is SPSS asking me to make my own extensions folder?

when I found the IBM folder, next SPSS, next Statistics, next 20, next Eclipse
    and inside Eclipse is configuration and temp.

where do the pls. files go?
    Did you run the SHOW EXTENSIONS command as I specified? If you already installed the Python Essentials, the necessary folders will already exist.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1106 Posts

‏2012-11-26T17:21:39Z  

begin program.
    import spss
    print 'ok'
    end program.

-Jon Peck
    When I run a PLS I am getting the following error:

Error # 6890. Command name: BEGIN PROGRAM
    Configuration file spssdxcfg.ini is invalid.
    Execution of this command stops.
    Configration file spssdxcfg.ini is invalid because the LIB_NAME is NULL.

Error # 6887. Command name: BEGIN PROGRAM
    External program failed during initialization.

Any clue on how to get this resolved?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1106 Posts

‏2012-11-26T17:31:22Z  
    When I run a PLS I am getting the following error:

Error # 6890. Command name: BEGIN PROGRAM
    Configuration file spssdxcfg.ini is invalid.
    Execution of this command stops.
    Configration file spssdxcfg.ini is invalid because the LIB_NAME is NULL.

Error # 6887. Command name: BEGIN PROGRAM
    External program failed during initialization.

Any clue on how to get this resolved?
    This indicates that the Python plugin is not installed or not installed correctly. It is required for the use of PLS.

If you believe that the plugin (Python Essentials) is installed, try another Python-based extension command such as SPSSINC CREATE DUMMIES (Transform > Create Dummies) to see if you get the same error message.

Note that if you are on Win 7 or later, you need to install the Essentials using Run As Administrator.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1106 Posts

‏2012-11-27T09:07:17Z  
    This indicates that the Python plugin is not installed or not installed correctly. It is required for the use of PLS.

If you believe that the plugin (Python Essentials) is installed, try another Python-based extension command such as SPSSINC CREATE DUMMIES (Transform > Create Dummies) to see if you get the same error message.

Note that if you are on Win 7 or later, you need to install the Essentials using Run As Administrator.
    Yes, there was an error in installing Python plugin: It said "Error reading from file....PASWPYTHON1800.msi..." though the msi file was there in the appdata/local... folder and I was running it as administrator. So I manually extracted the files from PASWPYTHON1800.msi using lessmsi and copied them in resective Python and SPSS folders. But that does not seem to work. :-(

How do I ensure a clean install of Python plugin? Other installs numpy and scipy have gone through fine.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1106 Posts

‏2012-11-27T14:21:49Z  
    Yes, there was an error in installing Python plugin: It said "Error reading from file....PASWPYTHON1800.msi..." though the msi file was there in the appdata/local... folder and I was running it as administrator. So I manually extracted the files from PASWPYTHON1800.msi using lessmsi and copied them in resective Python and SPSS folders. But that does not seem to work. :-(

How do I ensure a clean install of Python plugin? Other installs numpy and scipy have gone through fine.
    It sounds like you have a defective copy of the plugin. It needs to be run, not just to copy files, since it needs to update some ini files. You didn't say what version of SPSS or platform you are on, but please retrieve the appropriate plugin and try again. Make sure that the destination folders are writable (maybe you need Run As Administrator depending on the platform).
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1106 Posts

‏2012-11-28T15:53:53Z  
    It sounds like you have a defective copy of the plugin. It needs to be run, not just to copy files, since it needs to update some ini files. You didn't say what version of SPSS or platform you are on, but please retrieve the appropriate plugin and try again. Make sure that the destination folders are writable (maybe you need Run As Administrator depending on the platform).
    Hi,

I've followed this thread and the instructions therein but still am having problems. For my SPSS 20.0.0 for 32-bit windows version, I have downloaded the 'PLS.zip' from the "Statistical Tools" link. Also, the 'numpy-1.6.2-win32-superpack-python2.7' and 'scipy-0.11.0.tar' files. These three files are saved in the "extensions" folder as directed by the "SHOW EXTENSIONS" syntax command in SPSS. I have also installed 'Python27', though this is not saved in the SPSS extension folder.

I have also downloaded the 'SPSS_Statistics_PythonEssentials_20001_win32' and 'SPSS_Statistics_NetPlugin_20001_win32' application files. When running the former, I get the following message: "The installer has detected that the version of IBM SPSS Statistics is not match with this installer. Please update it to the corresponding version or contact technical staffs."

Is this error due to the version I've downloaded (I've seen the following: "The Essentials and Plugins for IBM SPSS Statistics Version 20 for Python and .NET are available here. They have been updated to version 20.0.0.1 but are compatible with 20.0.0.0. NOTE: if you have the 20.0.0.0 version of the Essentials installed, you must uninstall them before installing this update." - However, I do not see that I have the previous version on my PC to uninstall).

Please help!
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1106 Posts

‏2012-11-28T16:43:23Z  
    Hi,

I've followed this thread and the instructions therein but still am having problems. For my SPSS 20.0.0 for 32-bit windows version, I have downloaded the 'PLS.zip' from the "Statistical Tools" link. Also, the 'numpy-1.6.2-win32-superpack-python2.7' and 'scipy-0.11.0.tar' files. These three files are saved in the "extensions" folder as directed by the "SHOW EXTENSIONS" syntax command in SPSS. I have also installed 'Python27', though this is not saved in the SPSS extension folder.

I have also downloaded the 'SPSS_Statistics_PythonEssentials_20001_win32' and 'SPSS_Statistics_NetPlugin_20001_win32' application files. When running the former, I get the following message: "The installer has detected that the version of IBM SPSS Statistics is not match with this installer. Please update it to the corresponding version or contact technical staffs."

Is this error due to the version I've downloaded (I've seen the following: "The Essentials and Plugins for IBM SPSS Statistics Version 20 for Python and .NET are available here. They have been updated to version 20.0.0.1 but are compatible with 20.0.0.0. NOTE: if you have the 20.0.0.0 version of the Essentials installed, you must uninstall them before installing this update." - However, I do not see that I have the previous version on my PC to uninstall).

Please help!
    1. Ignore .NET. It has nothing to do with PLS.
    2. Installing the Python Essentials installs Python as well as the plugin code, if it isn't already there, so you don't need to install Python separately.
    3. You should be able to install the V20.0.0.1 Python Esssentials with Statistics 20.0.0.0, but there is a fixpack for Statistics that you might want to get anyway. If you can't get past the version mismatch message, you will need to contact Technical Support.
    4. The numpy and scipy packages have to be installed, not just copied. You need the exe file versions of both. You have the numpy exe. For the scipy exe, get it from
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/scipy/files/scipy/0.11.0/