Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-03-17T10:47:37Z by Dragos.Cojocari
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1299 Posts

Pinned topic OLE Images exported as such lose formatting

‏2010-11-01T14:21:58Z |
I have a problem with OLE images and how they appear in Word. I export OLE images (mostly Visio images) from DOORS to Word as OLE images. The result is a Word document with the OLE images linked to files in the created “ref” folder in the same directory as the generated document. I then run the ‘rpe’ macro from rpe.dot, which embeds the OLE images into the document and removes the links, resulting in a standalone generated document and a now unused “ref” folder. That document has the OLE images embedded, which is fantastic. At this point, I’m 90% finished.

The problem is that the result is the OLE image without the assigned style, and a blank line immediately below the OLE image WITH the correct style. For example, say that I have assigned the “Center” style to the OLE image in DOORS (via Paragraph Style). My RPE template assigns the “Paragraph Style” attribute to the object in the generated document. For all other objects, this is done successfully. For OLE images in the generated document, the image itself is not “Center” style, but the blank line after the image is “Center” style.

I believe the problem is based on the way that RPE exports the OLE images. It places a field in the generated document that references a file in the "ref" folder. There is a paragraph mark after that field. When looking at the reference file, it is an OLE image also with a paragraph mark. This results in two paragraph marks, and thus, the addtional line.

With the above information, is this a limitation with RPE, or am I doing some wrong? Is there something additional I can do to solve my problem? Perhaps there is a Microsoft Word macro that will fix this problem.

DOORS 9.2.0.3
RPE 1.1.1.1 iFix 1

Thanks,
Robert
Updated on 2013-01-08T15:22:25Z at 2013-01-08T15:22:25Z by Horia
  • dofstead
    dofstead
    13 Posts

Re: OLE Images exported as such lose formatting

‏2011-08-04T17:55:17Z  
    Bump. I see this problem as well. What is the best way to center images while using the rpe macro?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1299 Posts

‏2012-12-29T14:25:59Z  
    I am experiencing the same issue. Has anyone found a workaround? I would really like to center some of my OLE pictures and remove the extra newlines in the document.
  • Horia
    Horia
    89 Posts

‏2013-01-08T15:22:25Z  
    I am experiencing the same issue. Has anyone found a workaround? I would really like to center some of my OLE pictures and remove the extra newlines in the document.
    Hi,

I recall formatting of the OLEs to have been improved at some point so it is worth evaluating newer RPE and DOORS versions.

Regards / Horia
  • Kyle_W
    Kyle_W
    18 Posts

‏2014-03-11T20:05:07Z  

Bump this old topic. Anybody resolve this yet? I have a bunch of OLE figure/tables in a module, and everything in RPE comes out perfectly, but i get 2-3 extra line feeds after each OLE object. Nothing else in the document has this extra white space.

I'm running DOORS 9.5.0.1

RPE 1.2.1.1

This is the only thing limiting me from having a clean document free of post processing.

• Dragos.Cojocari
    Dragos.Cojocari
    1654 Posts

‏2014-03-17T10:47:37Z  
    • Kyle_W
    • ‏2014-03-11T20:05:07Z

Bump this old topic. Anybody resolve this yet? I have a bunch of OLE figure/tables in a module, and everything in RPE comes out perfectly, but i get 2-3 extra line feeds after each OLE object. Nothing else in the document has this extra white space.

I'm running DOORS 9.5.0.1

RPE 1.2.1.1

This is the only thing limiting me from having a clean document free of post processing.

Hey Kyle,

that extra space seems to be Word's behavior as I observed it both with the OLE update done by RPE as well as with a manual field update in Word ( select all, F9) even though the source RTF does not contain any extra space. At a first glance we would have to implement in RPE the kind of post processing you do now in macros ( remove the first empty paragraph after an OLE). Please raise an RFE for RPE via the  IBM Software RFE community

Regards,

Dragos