4 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-03-04T19:36:27Z by GregM_dxler
kabr
kabr
114 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

‏2010-10-25T08:29:05Z |
Hello community,

is there any chance to try and find out what's going wrong when you get such an error?

Karl
Updated on 2010-10-25T15:03:00Z at 2010-10-25T15:03:00Z by Mathias Mamsch
  • llandale
    llandale
    2939 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

‏2010-10-25T14:03:39Z  in response to kabr
    I've had no luck at all reading the displayed diagnostic log, but I imagine one of the 3 clever folks here have. When you get the error you almost always ALSO get a DXL window pane trying to tell you where in the DXL the error triggered, that's far more useful.

These errors are usually due to mis-matched data types; like inserting an 'integer' into a Skip List, but retrieving an 'Object' handle.

• Louie
  • Mathias Mamsch
    Mathias Mamsch
    1911 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-10-25T15:03:00Z  in response to kabr
    There are two kinds of exceptions/access violations. In one as Louie said you will get at least the line of DXL code where your program raised the exception. In this case usually you supplied some b.s. to your function, most of the time invalid data, which made it crash.

In the other case you will get an exception and have DOORS crash or not show the DXL code line. In this case the only opportunity you have is starting to comment out code, until the crash vanishes, then starting remove the comments until you get a clue, where you code is crashing - then you need again check for invalid data passed to a function.

Most common crash reasons I know:

• Closing Modules / Changing Edit Mode of a module (which will invalidate all handles to the objects, module you stored somewher)

• Invalid Type Casting (e.g. with Skips / Arrays, putting one type in, reading another type out)

• Invalid Skip Type (Putting numbers in a string skip)

• Memory errors (when your memory runs full, things start going bad)

• DOORS typical crashes (in V.8 you get crashes with popup menus some time)

Hope that helps, regards, Mathias

Mathias Mamsch, IT-QBase GmbH, Consultant for Requirement Engineering and D00RS
    • bungle_77
      bungle_77
      57 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-03-04T15:34:34Z  in response to Mathias Mamsch

how can avoid this error when i close the modules? I have many script that need to open and close many modules and randomically i get this error

• GregM_dxler
    GregM_dxler
    160 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-03-04T19:36:27Z  in response to kabr

I get this error whenever I try to delete a regular expression that has not been created.

Also will get this occasionally when I don't have the right access to a module or an attribute in the module.

Hope this helps,

Greg