Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
8 replies Latest Post - ‏2010-11-09T04:15:08Z by graham40
graham40
graham40
127 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Upgrade from TXS 6.2.0.1 to 7.1 questions

‏2010-10-21T01:44:11Z |
Hello,

Am Windows XP Pro XP3 with RDz 7.1.1.4 and TXSeries 6.2.0.1 and about to upgrade to TXSeries 7.1 so downloaded the following four SAC files:

CICS Universal Client V7.1.0.3 for Windows Multilingual (CZ0I2ML)
TXSeries V7.1 Documentation Multiplatform Multilingual (CZ0TWML)
TXSeries V7.1 Quick Start Guide Multiplatform Multilingual (CZ0TQML)
TXSeries V7.1 for Windows Multilingual (CZ0TTML)

Always fearful of massive upgrades would ask a couple of questions if I may:

1. CZ0I2ML.zip

• Universal Client
  • do I run this or will running CZ0TTML.exe take care of this?
  • if I have to do this then before or after 3.?

2. CZ0TQML.tar

• Quickstart guide
  • no .exe's in this tar, likely not used by the install?

3. CZ0TTML.exe

• this does the install
  • install video tells me I simply run this, my 6.2.0.1 will be upgraded, sun will rise tomorrow?

4. CZ0TWML.tar

• Documentation
  • I can install this at my leisure, before or after 3.?

I presume both TXS and LWI must be closed?
Is Eclipse level going to be a factor?
Is Installation Manager level going to be a factor?
The COBOL compiler in RDz 7.1.1.4 will still compile COBOL/CICS/VSAM(SFS)/DB2 pgms? .. upgrading RDz to 7.6 after this TXS upgrade, also apply the 7.1.0.2 Fixpack.

Please, thanks,
Graham Hobbs
Updated on 2010-11-09T04:15:08Z at 2010-11-09T04:15:08Z by graham40
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    308 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Upgrade from TXS 6.2.0.1 to 7.1 questions

‏2010-10-25T16:55:57Z  in response to graham40
    Hello Graham,

1. There is no harm in installing CZ0I2ML separately before or after step 3... Otherwise I think if you run the CZ0TTML.exe it should silently install CZ0I2ML, but not sure!.

2. For reference only. Not used by the installer.

3. After the install, for the sun to rise you must migrate the CICS regions using the cicsmigrate.exe command. Steps here: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/txformp/v7r1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.cics.tx.doc_7.1.0/tasks/t_mig_tx_previous_ver.html

4. Yes.

I presume both TXS and LWI must be closed?
    Yes would recommend to stop the CICS regions and LWI services before going ahead with the install

Is Eclipse level going to be a factor?
    No, not for TXSeries or CICS Universal Client.

Is Installation Manager level going to be a factor?
    No, not for TXSeries or CICS Universal Client.

*The COBOL compiler in RDz 7.1.1.4 will still compile COBOL/CICS/VSAM(SFS)/DB2 pgms? .. *
    After the upgrade you will have to re-compile your applications though. The application executables built with your earlier version (TXSeries V6.2) might not run on TXSeries V7.1 directly.

*upgrading RDz to 7.6 after this TXS upgrade, also apply the 7.1.0.2 Fixpack. *
    It is highly recommended to upgrade to the latest level of Fixpack (7.1.0.2) after the TXSeries V7.1 GA installation.
    HTH

Cheers,
    Hari
    • graham40
      graham40
      127 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-10-27T17:03:24Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi Hari,

And the sun came up! All went very well, very straightforward, can't thankyou enough. Before to close the question I will ask ..

• how does one tell if the Universal client upgrade in CZ0I2ML.zip was included in the 7.1.0.0 upgrade?

The following I'll ask even though I know file renaming might test my questions (trouble is one never knows if one has tested everything or what future upgrades may be looking for) ..

• can I delete c:\opt\cics-bkup?
      • my download directory for the 7.1.0.0 upgrade - can it be deleted after all is done?
      • after I did the 7.1.0.2 PTF can I delete c:\opt\cics\BACKUP?

Thanks again,
      Graham

P.S. My application executables did run without recompiling - well, those I tried.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        308 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-10-28T05:27:52Z  in response to graham40
        Hi Graham,

*how does one tell if the Universal client upgrade in CZ0I2ML.zip was included in the 7.1.0.0 upgrade? *
        I guess you could just check it by running the 'cicscli -V' command that would print out the CUC version installed on your system.

can I delete c:\opt\cics-bkup?
        This folder should contain your older (6.2) TXSeries version binaries. It should be safe to delete this if you don't have plans to revert to the previous version.

my download directory for the 7.1.0.0 upgrade - can it be deleted after all is done?
        I think so.

after I did the 7.1.0.2 PTF can I delete c:\opt\cics\BACKUP?
        The BACKUP directory would be required if you ever have to rollback the PTF installation for some reason (say if the files go corrupt or get virus infected). So it might be best to leave it as-is, and also don't think it occupies much of your disk space anyways. If you end up deleting the BACKUP folder, then you will have no ways to revert back to the GA version - you will then have to un-install the PTF -> GA and then install GA -> PTF again.

Just an FYI, you might also want to keep an watch on http://ibmtxseries.blogspot.com/ where TXSeries specific blogs gets added.

I'll also be interested to know, if you may share on how you are using TXSeries product...and what kind of applications you are developing on top of it?.

Cheers,
        Hari
        • graham40
          graham40
          127 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-10-29T16:36:54Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Hi Hari,
          Thanks for the answers. Didn't know about blogspot - is useful already. The cicscli -V didn't work from my CMD window; tried also cicslcli thinking maybe spelling mistake (sorry:-) .. not so, need to read up on available commands.
          Would you know how many folk ever reverse a PTF?
          As for what I use TXS for .. over a long period I wrote some software being COBOL pgms, Rexx's, CMD files, etc. Simplistically, you feed in a COBOL FD copybook or DCLGEN and it generates source COBOL/CICS pgms and maps to add, change, delete or display single recs or rows. Also gens multi record change and display pgms (i.e. lists). So I use RDz and TXSeries to compile/test the genned pgms. Is all Windows right now but once working will convert for z/OS - got a date with Dallas Innovation Centre in January:-). Major hangup is that it only does BMS frontends at the moment -am old and don't know the newer frontend technologies but am thinking it can't be that hard to gen components for GUI frontends e.g. HATS, whatever.
          Cheers
          Graham
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            308 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-11-02T08:59:52Z  in response to graham40
            *The cicscli -V didn't work from my CMD window; *

I guess the cicscli.exe might not be in your PATH. You can locate the cicscli.exe under the Program Files\IBM\... folder, or else you can simply search for the file and Windows will locate it for you.
            Following is a sample output in my machine:

C:\Program Files\IBM\CICSUC\bin>cicscli -V
            CCL8001I CICSCLI - CICS Client Daemon Control Program
            CCL0002I (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1994, 2008. All rights reserved.
            CCL8029I CICS Client for Windows Version 7.1.0.3
            CCL8074I Build Level 'c7103-20081223'
            CCL8025I The Client daemon has not been started
            CCL8023I CICSCLI performed no action

Would you know how many folk ever reverse a PTF?
            It's usually very rare to see a PTF reversed, unless something is broken during the application or system tests at the client's site. It is anyway safer to have the BACKUP folder at least for few days/weeks, without this you would need fresh install for reverting to an earlier level.

Many thanks for sharing the information on how you use TXSeries. I think what you described is is a cool idea and a useful tool for many. For the front-end modernization part, probably HATS is a good start, as it doesn't require you to change the COBOL programs. For accessing the BMS front-ends through a web browser using HATS, you might want to have a read here:
            Adapt map-based traditional applications to use web browsers - http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/10/adapt-map-based-applications-to-use-web-browsers/index.html
            One of my friend, had the following thought which you may want to ponder about:
            1. HATS works with your existing BMS. With HATS, one can execute an existing application without modifications.
            2. 3270 bridge is another alternative by which one can generate simple HTML pages from the BMS sources
            3. The COBOL programs can generate HTML and using CTG he can communicate with the TXSeries region.

Good luck for your Dallas IC visit.

Cheers,
            Hari
            • graham40
              graham40
              127 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-11-03T15:22:29Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              Hi Hari,
              A week ago I went from 6.2.0.1 to 7.1.0.2 on both my Main and Backup machines. Did a full scan on both using cicscli*.* as the argument - found nothing. I googled it too - got many hits. So why would my brand new latest TXS not have it?
              About PTF - point taken.
              I looked at the HATS site - will print and read, looks like the place to start! Your comments are much appreciated.
              bfn
              Graham
              • SystemAdmin
                SystemAdmin
                308 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-11-07T16:01:18Z  in response to graham40
                Hi Graham,

If you are not able to find the cicscli.exe in your computer, I don't think that the CICS Universal Client has been installed / upgraded on your machines - don't know why!. You may want to install the CUC from the CZ0I2ML.zip archive separately? (This wouldn't affect your existing TXSeries installation).

Cheers,
                Hari
                • graham40
                  graham40
                  127 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-11-09T04:15:08Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                  Hi Hari,

Nearly there! CUC installed and I found a cicscli.exe. But during installation I got a msg ..
                  'To configure the product for use, run the Configuration Tool. This will require a supported Java Runtime Environment.'
                  .. but the install instructions say nothing about a Configuration Tool and I see no icon on the desktop?? .. ok found it on Start,Programs,CUC but it didn't work because ...

I was commanded to install the accompanying JRE, an exercise I started but abandoned because it threatened to overlay an existing JRE. It does explain what to run if I answer 'No' to overlay - point is I have no idea what the existing JRE supports, I don't know the reason for two JRE's and would prefer to overlay, BUT would overlaying mess up something else?

Is always true when I'm installing abc, xyz software and a JRE requirement is involved I have no idea, a) what I'm approving, b) if anything else would fail, c) if there other JRE's on my machine, d) if so, where and by what name, e) I wish Java had never been invented. Tomorrow will do a Google.

So .. can you recommend should I overlay or not?

On a happier note, all my CICS'y things still work - so almost!!
                  cheers
                  Graham