6 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-12-18T13:34:30Z by geralds34ca
pauld.
pauld.
3 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic VIO's Design with 4 port IVE

‏2010-10-06T14:08:46Z |
Hi All,

I'm designing 2 x p770 frames , which will come with an integrated 4 port ive card & 2 x dual port ethernet cards.

My question is how best to configure the network on these to allow for partition mobility, via vio servers.

My initial thoughts are to give each vio 2 x IVE ports in promiscuos mode (i.e. port 0 & 2) and one dual port card.

This should give 4 ports per vio server, should I then etherchannel these & config for the sea, 1 from the IVE & one from the dual port card for redundancy?

Any suggestions greatfully received.

Cheers
Updated on 2011-12-18T13:34:30Z at 2011-12-18T13:34:30Z by geralds34ca
  • pauld.
    pauld.
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: VIO's Design with 4 port IVE

‏2010-10-06T14:35:03Z  in response to pauld.
    Looking at the Redbook it looks as though this isn't supported as it's not possible to mix the IVE & a dedicated card in an etherchannel.

See section 2.3.2

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpapers/pdfs/redp4340.pdf

So looks as though it's the 2 ports from the IVE to create the etherchannel and this must be used as the SEA, although this does give a single point of failure (the ive card)
    • gnoble
      gnoble
      6 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-10-07T01:55:11Z  in response to pauld.
      I'm currently doing exactly the same thing :)

The redpaper is old.

It IS supported, see http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/aix/v6r1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.aix.commadmn/doc/commadmndita/etherchannel_adapters.htm

"For dedicated HEA port, link aggregation with the PCI/PCI-E adapter is supported."

Only restriction seems to be that the ports must be "dedicated" to the VIOs server (Which is would be, as you must nominate a Promiscuous LPAR to use it as a SEA adapter).

regards,
  • unixgrl
    unixgrl
    25 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-10-06T15:14:50Z  in response to pauld.
    How about using IVE ports from different CECs? That would give you the redundancy desired.
  • pauld.
    pauld.
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-10-07T07:11:47Z  in response to pauld.
    Many thanks for the replies, in the first instance I only have one cec this will be expanded as the project develops.

The link is exactly what I needed :-)
    • geralds34ca
      geralds34ca
      19 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-12-17T22:41:05Z  in response to pauld.
      Is there a down fall to creating an SEA with one std NIC and one IVE Port?
      • geralds34ca
        geralds34ca
        19 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-12-18T13:34:30Z  in response to geralds34ca
        If building link aggregate SEA, what is the benefit/drawback of using PCI NIC, vs IVE ports?

I am trying to decide how to utilize the ports that I have available of a p7 770-MMB, that is two CEC's. Each CEC has a 4 port PCI NIC, and a 4 port IVE. Leaning towards using Dual VIO server, with SEA failover. Each VIOS would have two LA SEA adapters, one from PCI NIC, and the other built from the IVE ports, of the other CEC.

Does this make sense for redundancy and performance, or is it overkill. One of the LPAR in this box will be using HACMP, with an LPAR in a P6 570.