7 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-10-21T20:06:47Z by mark99
sblex
sblex
15 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic ITIM Javascript library

‏2010-09-17T16:59:51Z |
Hi all,

Is there a way to declare a javascript library (.js files) in TIM for scripting zones to reduce code redundancy? Thank you.
Updated on 2010-10-12T10:19:30Z at 2010-10-12T10:19:30Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    9855 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: ITIM Javascript library

‏2010-10-12T10:19:30Z  in response to sblex
    Hi,

You can not literally declare .js file, but you can achieve this by coding your own JavaScript Extension.
    You'll find a tutorial and example here => http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/tividd/td/ITIM/SC32-1683-00/en_US/HTML/javascript/javascript.html

Regards,
    /b
  • mark99
    mark99
    26 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-14T08:06:20Z  in response to sblex

I use Tim 5.1 and the JavaScript I use in workflows and provision policies has been steadily growing. I 'm now at point that I want to put some pieces in global javascript functions to reduce code redundancy and I 'm looking at the best way of doing this.

Looking at the javascript extensions my understanding is that they are written in pure java.  So instead of brushing up my existing javascript code I have to learn the itim API and rewrite my code.

• TerryYau
      TerryYau
      21 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-14T14:48:12Z  in response to mark99

Hi mark99,

If I recall from my previous experience correctly, here's what you can try.

In the scriptextention property file, allow direct java call to the File or FileReader class.  This will allow you to read file content into scripting context, convert the bytestream into string.  Then simply call the eval function to evaluate (run) the read in content (now a long string).  The eval function can run multiple lines of code, so that should be fine.  In short, a few lines of code in the scripting context will act as an "#include" or "import" statements, and run.

Take this with a large pinch of salt as I can't recall exactly how I did this in the past.

Updated on 2013-06-14T14:52:07Z at 2013-06-14T14:52:07Z by TerryYau
      • Andyp
        Andyp
        2 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-14T15:19:39Z  in response to TerryYau

I was going to suggest the same thing as an alternative.   Here is an article from Stephen Swann that may help.

http://blog.stephen-swann.co.uk/2011/03/how-to-externalise-javascript-in-itim.html

• TerryYau
          TerryYau
          21 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-14T15:48:58Z  in response to Andyp

Perfect example!  Thanks for the link!

Looks like we all need something like this.  Maybe IBM should consider building this feature into the product, in a more managed manner (e.g. able to select from GUI which scripts to include in which context).

• mark99
        mark99
        26 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-14T19:17:04Z  in response to TerryYau

I have been experimenting with this approach. But I 'm not convinced if this is the right approach for the following reasons

- eval is evil, so I am told.

- I created a somewhat more complicated operation where I use a connection to an external database using java calls. This did not work.

- I fear for performance issues

• mark99
          mark99
          26 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-21T20:06:47Z  in response to mark99

The lack of a global jscript library kept on bugging me.

I have adaped the SampleGlobalExtension example program  to hold a string containing the javascript library so the library is kept in memory.

In the javascript code I can than do some thing

eval(jslib);
          result=globalFunction();

I can even do a call to reload the library during testing/development so i don't have to restart the server

reloadjslib();

It is still a bit of an experiment but seems promising