Topic
  • 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2010-09-16T08:09:21Z by tzwitano
tzwitano
tzwitano
5 Posts

Pinned topic Unable to install Fixpack 5 - insufficient diskspace!?

‏2010-09-14T11:06:42Z |
Hi,

I am trying to upgrade DB2Everyplace Enterprise from 9.1.4 to 9.1.5 on a Win2003 SP1 Server System which resides on a VMWare box.
While having plenty of space free (~7GB C, ~12GB D), the installer refuses to proceed due to insufficient disk space in temp directory. (see log file)

Why is that happening? The user is administrator (I also tried Administrator account).

Strangely it calculates the diskspace with "-1". Is that new calculation feature maybe not working properly? Is VMWare the reason?

Please advise, we currently have a production downtime.

Thanks!
Thomas
Updated on 2010-09-16T08:09:21Z at 2010-09-16T08:09:21Z by tzwitano
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6968 Posts

Re: Unable to install Fixpack 5 - insufficient diskspace!?

‏2010-09-14T17:36:41Z  
    Hi Thomas,

I got failure from log file
    (14.09.2010 10:35:54), Install, com.ibm.db2e.install.DiskSpaceCheckAction, dbg, Disk space check action: -1 bytes free disk space have been detected under D:\IBM\DB2Everyplace91

Sorry to say that it seem the free disk space check functionality does not work well. Could you help to show me the output when issue follwing two commands:
    1. CMD Line>cmd.exe /C dir C:\
    2. CMD Line>cmd.exe /C dir D:\

I can provide a workaround to disable the disk space check action before installing DB2e v9.1 fixpak 5.

CMD Line>{InstallDir}\jvm\bin\java -jar DB2EveryplaceUpdateInstallerWizard.jar -silent -options NoDiskSpaceCheck.rsp

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Rui
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6968 Posts

‏2010-09-15T02:05:53Z  
    Hi,

Are you an official customer to DB2e? if so, you can also open a PMR in order to track this issue and get more help.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6968 Posts

‏2010-09-15T05:46:55Z  
    Hi Thomas,

I got failure from log file
    (14.09.2010 10:35:54), Install, com.ibm.db2e.install.DiskSpaceCheckAction, dbg, Disk space check action: -1 bytes free disk space have been detected under D:\IBM\DB2Everyplace91

Sorry to say that it seem the free disk space check functionality does not work well. Could you help to show me the output when issue follwing two commands:
    1. CMD Line>cmd.exe /C dir C:\
    2. CMD Line>cmd.exe /C dir D:\

I can provide a workaround to disable the disk space check action before installing DB2e v9.1 fixpak 5.

CMD Line>{InstallDir}\jvm\bin\java -jar DB2EveryplaceUpdateInstallerWizard.jar -silent -options NoDiskSpaceCheck.rsp

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Rui
    Hello,

There is another way to disable disk space check action under GUI mode.

1. Edit and add one line into {InstallDir}/DB2EveryplaceUpdateInstallerWizard.bat
    #################################################################
    :LaunchInstaller
    echo Launching DB2 Everyplace Update Installation Wizard .....
    %JAVA_HOME%\bin\java -jar DB2EveryplaceUpdateInstallerWizard.jar -W DiskSpaceCheckAction.active=false -W DiskspaceInsufferablePanel.active=false

2. Save & run {InstallDir}/DB2EveryplaceUpdateInstallerWizard.bat

Best regards
    Rui
  • tzwitano
    tzwitano
    5 Posts

‏2010-09-15T11:03:36Z  
    Hello,

There is another way to disable disk space check action under GUI mode.

1. Edit and add one line into {InstallDir}/DB2EveryplaceUpdateInstallerWizard.bat
    :LaunchInstaller
    echo Launching DB2 Everyplace Update Installation Wizard .....
    %JAVA_HOME%\bin\java -jar DB2EveryplaceUpdateInstallerWizard.jar -W DiskSpaceCheckAction.active=false -W DiskspaceInsufferablePanel.active=false

2. Save & run {InstallDir}/DB2EveryplaceUpdateInstallerWizard.bat

Best regards
    Rui
    Hi Rui,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. I was able to turn off diskspace check and to install the Fixpack!

Just one note, I got this message in the console after adding the parameters to the .bat-file as you described in your last post.

Could not find bean DiskspaceInsufferablePanel

One last question in regards to 9.1.5: is that announced RemoteMDAC for 9.1.5 different to the MDAC that is shipped with the DB2e and its fixpack or is it just a remote version?

Thanks and Regards,
    Thomas
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6968 Posts

‏2010-09-15T15:24:13Z  
    • tzwitano
    • ‏2010-09-15T11:03:36Z
    Hi Rui,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. I was able to turn off diskspace check and to install the Fixpack!

Just one note, I got this message in the console after adding the parameters to the .bat-file as you described in your last post.

<pre class="jive-pre"> Could not find bean DiskspaceInsufferablePanel </pre>

One last question in regards to 9.1.5: is that announced RemoteMDAC for 9.1.5 different to the MDAC that is shipped with the DB2e and its fixpack or is it just a remote version?

Thanks and Regards,
    Thomas
    Thomas,

Glad to hear that it works :) and you can ignore the warning of "Could not find bean DiskspaceInsufferablePanel" in the console.

Moreover, I can not reproduce disk space check failure on my laptop, if possible, could you send me the output when executing the command I've mentioned before? If it is a truly problem, I will open a defect and fix it soon. Thanks a lot!

For your question about RemoteMDAC for 9.1.5 different to the MDAC that is shipped with the DB2e and its fixpack or is it just a remote version? --- It is just a remote version, the basic functionilities are same. In addition, the tool is free download and allows user to have such ability to manage subscriptions in MDAC without fully installing DB2 Everyplace Enterprise Edition.

Regards,
    Rui
  • tzwitano
    tzwitano
    5 Posts

‏2010-09-15T16:26:56Z  
    Thomas,

Glad to hear that it works :) and you can ignore the warning of "Could not find bean DiskspaceInsufferablePanel" in the console.

Moreover, I can not reproduce disk space check failure on my laptop, if possible, could you send me the output when executing the command I've mentioned before? If it is a truly problem, I will open a defect and fix it soon. Thanks a lot!

For your question about RemoteMDAC for 9.1.5 different to the MDAC that is shipped with the DB2e and its fixpack or is it just a remote version? --- It is just a remote version, the basic functionilities are same. In addition, the tool is free download and allows user to have such ability to manage subscriptions in MDAC without fully installing DB2 Everyplace Enterprise Edition.

Regards,
    Rui
    Hi Rui,

This is the outcome of the two commands:

C:\Documents and Settings\db2admin>CMD Line>cmd.exe /C dir C:\ The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.   C:\Documents and Settings\db2admin>CMD Line>cmd.exe /C dir D:\ The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Remember, it is a VMWare Box, maybe the installed VMWare-Tools are occupyingthis process (cmd?)?

I could also reproduce this on another differently installed Windows box running on VMWare.

Regards,
    Thomas
  • tzwitano
    tzwitano
    5 Posts

‏2010-09-16T08:09:21Z  
    • tzwitano
    • ‏2010-09-15T16:26:56Z
    Hi Rui,

This is the outcome of the two commands:

<pre class="jive-pre"> C:\Documents and Settings\db2admin>CMD Line>cmd.exe /C dir C:\ The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. C:\Documents and Settings\db2admin>CMD Line>cmd.exe /C dir D:\ The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. </pre>

Remember, it is a VMWare Box, maybe the installed VMWare-Tools are occupyingthis process (cmd?)?

I could also reproduce this on another differently installed Windows box running on VMWare.

Regards,
    Thomas
    Hm, seems like I was a little puzzled yesterday evening... Here are the results after executing your cmd's correctly:

C:\Documents and Settings\db2admin>cmd.exe /C dir C:\ Volume in drive C is System Volume Serial Number is 7C50-3A7D   Directory of C:\   09.11.2006  16:08                 0 AUTOEXEC.BAT 10.11.2006  11:21    <DIR>          Documents and Settings 06.06.2010  22:46    <DIR>          Program Files 15.09.2010  12:32    <DIR>          WINDOWS 09.11.2006  16:09    <DIR>          wmpub [other files...] 20 File(s)      3.227.276 bytes 9 Dir(s)   8.486.244.352 bytes free   ---   C:\Documents and Settings\db2admin>cmd.exe /C dir D:\ Volume in drive D is Data Volume Serial Number is 7045-4F7B   Directory of D:\   14.11.2006  13:42    <DIR>          DB2 14.11.2006  13:09    <DIR>          IBM 30.06.2010  14:03    <DIR>          JDBC [other files...]   14 File(s)  1.165.283.484 bytes 5 Dir(s)   6.343.086.080 bytes free

Regards,
    Thomas