The following Power Servers with POWER7 Processors supporting Linux have been announced:
- Power 750 and Power 755: GA 2/19/2010
- Power 770 and Power 780: GA 3/16/2010
- IBM BladeCenter PS700/PS701/PS702: GA 6/04/2010
- Power 710, 720, 730, 740 and 794: GA 9/17/2010
- IBM BladeCenter PS703/PS704: GA 5/20/2011
These new servers support the following Linux releases:
1) Novell SLES11 plus latest maintenance exploits native POWER7 processor capabilities and offers an integrated enterprise operating environment for Linux users:
- IBM Power 710: SLES 11 SP1
- IBM Power 720: SLES 11 SP1
- IBM Power 730: SLES 11 SP1
- IBM Power 740: SLES 11 SP1
- IBM Power 750: SLES 11 and later
- IBM Power 755: SLES 11 and later
- IBM Power 770: SLES 11 and later
- IBM Power 780: SLES 11 and later
- IBM Power 795: SLES 11 SP1
- IBM BladeCenter PS700, PS701 and PS702 Express servers: SLES 11 SP1
- IBM BladeCenter PS703/PS704 Express servers:SLES 11 SP1
2) SLES10 SP3 plus latest maintenance runs in POWER6 compatible mode on POWER7 processors and offers an integrated enterprise operating environment for Linux users
3) RHEL 5.5 or later runs in POWER6 compatible mode on POWER7 processors
4) RHEL 6: exploits native POWER7 processor capabilities
Support Reminder: the latest Novell maintenance levels are required to leverage all planned functionality in IBM's new P7 servers:
Apply maintenance updates available from Novell's website: http://www.novell.com
Users should also update their systems with the latest Linux for Power service and productivity tools: http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/set2/sas/f/lopdiags/
Pinned topic Linux Support for IBM's new POWER7 Systems:
Answered question This question has been answered.
Unanswered question This question has not been answered yet.
Updated on 2012-01-27T13:30:12Z at 2012-01-27T13:30:12Z by jscheel
DorotaDG 100000JB6F2 Posts
Re: Linux Support for IBM's new POWER7 Systems:2011-10-26T07:39:41ZThis is the accepted answer. This is the accepted answer.
- SystemAdmin 110000D4XK
They need to install up to 10 LPARs of each of Operating Systems, so memory and disk allocated required to install OS in each of the LPARs, might be an issue, as 4core 720 is being considered.
SaumilMerchant 2700040D3A1 Post
Re: Linux Support for IBM's new POWER7 Systems:2012-01-27T12:37:34ZThis is the accepted answer. This is the accepted answer.Hi,
I have an URGENT requirement for our IBM customer. Can someone please confirm if there are any known GUI related issues while installing RHEL6 on IBM Power 755 server? I was told by our lab services team that they were having GUI related issues with installing RHEL 6 on 755 server. Our customer wants GUI enabled.
jscheel 0600025BWM31 Posts
Re: Linux Support for IBM's new POWER7 Systems:2012-01-27T13:30:12ZThis is the accepted answer. This is the accepted answer.
- SaumilMerchant 2700040D3A