The following Power Servers with POWER7 Processors supporting Linux have been announced:
- Power 750 and Power 755: GA 2/19/2010
- Power 770 and Power 780: GA 3/16/2010
- IBM BladeCenter PS700/PS701/PS702: GA 6/04/2010
- Power 710, 720, 730, 740 and 794: GA 9/17/2010
- IBM BladeCenter PS703/PS704: GA 5/20/2011
These new servers support the following Linux releases:
1) Novell SLES11 plus latest maintenance exploits native POWER7 processor capabilities and offers an integrated enterprise operating environment for Linux users:
- IBM Power 710: SLES 11 SP1
- IBM Power 720: SLES 11 SP1
- IBM Power 730: SLES 11 SP1
- IBM Power 740: SLES 11 SP1
- IBM Power 750: SLES 11 and later
- IBM Power 755: SLES 11 and later
- IBM Power 770: SLES 11 and later
- IBM Power 780: SLES 11 and later
- IBM Power 795: SLES 11 SP1
- IBM BladeCenter PS700, PS701 and PS702 Express servers: SLES 11 SP1
- IBM BladeCenter PS703/PS704 Express servers:SLES 11 SP1
2) SLES10 SP3 plus latest maintenance runs in POWER6 compatible mode on POWER7 processors and offers an integrated enterprise operating environment for Linux users
3) RHEL 5.5 or later runs in POWER6 compatible mode on POWER7 processors
4) RHEL 6: exploits native POWER7 processor capabilities
Support Reminder: the latest Novell maintenance levels are required to leverage all planned functionality in IBM's new P7 servers:
Apply maintenance updates available from Novell's website: http://www.novell.com
Users should also update their systems with the latest Linux for Power service and productivity tools: http://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/set2/sas/f/lopdiags/
NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
This topic has been locked.
5 replies Latest Post - 2012-01-27T13:30:12Z by jscheel
Pinned topic Linux Support for IBM's new POWER7 Systems:
Answered question This question has been answered.
Unanswered question This question has not been answered yet.
Updated on 2012-01-27T13:30:12Z at 2012-01-27T13:30:12Z by jscheel
DorotaDG 100000JB6F2 Posts
SystemAdmin 110000D4XK706 Posts
DorotaDG 100000JB6F2 PostsACCEPTED ANSWER
Re: Linux Support for IBM's new POWER7 Systems:2011-10-26T07:39:41Z in response to SystemAdminI'm providing a configuration for 720 server for software developers; they are planning to have multiple IBM i, AIX & Linux LPARs to test their software.
They need to install up to 10 LPARs of each of Operating Systems, so memory and disk allocated required to install OS in each of the LPARs, might be an issue, as 4core 720 is being considered.
SaumilMerchant 2700040D3A1 PostACCEPTED ANSWER
Re: Linux Support for IBM's new POWER7 Systems:2012-01-27T12:37:34Z in response to PlanBHi,
I have an URGENT requirement for our IBM customer. Can someone please confirm if there are any known GUI related issues while installing RHEL6 on IBM Power 755 server? I was told by our lab services team that they were having GUI related issues with installing RHEL 6 on 755 server. Our customer wants GUI enabled.
jscheel 0600025BWM31 PostsACCEPTED ANSWER
Re: Linux Support for IBM's new POWER7 Systems:2012-01-27T13:30:12Z in response to SaumilMerchantThe IBM Power Linux Team is migrating to a new developerWorks Community - Think Power Linux. If you'd join us in this new community and post your question to the Message Board, we'll gladly respond.