• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-10-29T15:35:45Z by clausweiss
garybourke
garybourke
9 Posts

Pinned topic Shared Team Profile in RDi 7.5

‏2009-06-18T15:32:05Z |

Hello,
How can I share profile resources in RDi 7.5?
In previous versions you could go to the 'Team' view from RSE and right-click on RemoteSystemConnections. However, I do not have RemoteSystemConnections in my team view. How can I enable it?
Thanks.
Updated on 2012-10-29T15:35:45Z at 2012-10-29T15:35:45Z by clausweiss
  • eric.simpson
    eric.simpson
    103 Posts

Re: Shared Team Profile in RDi 7.5

‏2009-06-19T12:53:34Z  

In 7.5, RDi switched to using the RSE that is now provided in Eclipse 3.4. In this version, the original sharing mechanism does not exist. You can import and export connections from the popup menu on a connection but I think this just does the connection.
    Here is the information I found:
    One thing that came up with customers is the need to be able to import/export compile actions. Since we don't have an integrated approach for that right now, the approach recommended to them was the following:

To export:
    . In a new workspace, create a IBM i connection. Define all the user actions and compile commands of their own.
    . Delete all the connection in this workspace.
    . Zip up that particular profile directory in the following location: .metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.rse.core\profiles\.

To import:
    . Start RDi with the new workspace. Close RDi.
    . Go to the location of the new workspace, unzip the zip file to .metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.rse.core\profiles. You probably want to remove the original profile, so that you could use the imported profile exclusively.
    . Start your RDi using this workspace again. Create a new IBM i connection. And you should see the all the defined user actions and compile commands.
    Eric
  • garybourke
    garybourke
    9 Posts

‏2009-06-23T11:00:05Z  

In 7.5, RDi switched to using the RSE that is now provided in Eclipse 3.4. In this version, the original sharing mechanism does not exist. You can import and export connections from the popup menu on a connection but I think this just does the connection.
    Here is the information I found:
    One thing that came up with customers is the need to be able to import/export compile actions. Since we don't have an integrated approach for that right now, the approach recommended to them was the following:

To export:
    . In a new workspace, create a IBM i connection. Define all the user actions and compile commands of their own.
    . Delete all the connection in this workspace.
    . Zip up that particular profile directory in the following location: .metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.rse.core\profiles\.

To import:
    . Start RDi with the new workspace. Close RDi.
    . Go to the location of the new workspace, unzip the zip file to .metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.rse.core\profiles. You probably want to remove the original profile, so that you could use the imported profile exclusively.
    . Start your RDi using this workspace again. Create a new IBM i connection. And you should see the all the defined user actions and compile commands.
    Eric

Thanks Eric.
    This approach is not quite as simple as the shared repository situation. Do you know if the intention is to add a slicker way of sharing connections and commands at a later date?
    Thanks.
  • eric.simpson
    eric.simpson
    103 Posts

‏2009-06-25T13:20:38Z  

Thanks Eric.
    This approach is not quite as simple as the shared repository situation. Do you know if the intention is to add a slicker way of sharing connections and commands at a later date?
    Thanks.

I think it is the intention but don't know of plans.
    Eric
  • clausweiss
    clausweiss
    8 Posts

‏2012-10-29T15:35:45Z  

I think it is the intention but don't know of plans.
    Eric
    Hi Eric, I just stumbled across this thread and just wanted an update on this.
    Has the backup procedure improved in the latest releases or is what you suggested here still the suggested method to backup create commands?
    I was teaching an RDP RSE class a week ago and promised the students to figure out how to backup compile commands and share them, but I couldn't really find any information about it other than this thread.
    I also noticed that when creating new profiles in RSE they seem to be pretty useless. I can create a connection under these new profiles but none of the subsystems actually expand after connecting. This behaviour is in 8.5
    Is this also something that is inherited from the move to the Eclipse RSE? Should we avoid creating any new profiles and only use the default profiles?
    I talked to Jon Paris and he confirmed that he ran into this as well.
    Claus