Topic
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-12-15T13:04:19Z by AmiAmiAmi
gunner3200
gunner3200
57 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic RDz in VMware? Virtual PC desktop running RDz.

‏2009-09-15T21:26:13Z |

Has anyone here tried running RDz from a virtual machine with VMware?
My organization is looking into trying this to simplify the installation/update/upgrade process of RDz. I'm thinking this will possibly cause more problems then it answers.
What do you think?
Updated on 2009-10-07T19:13:25Z at 2009-10-07T19:13:25Z by RDz_Dave
  • wilbert
    wilbert
    31 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: RDz in VMware? Virtual PC desktop running RDz.

‏2009-09-17T07:16:31Z  in response to gunner3200
    We've used RDz on VMware in classroom environments and for the most part things work well. Once in a while odd behaviors that we usually do not observe on the native machine will appear. Many times these behaviors go away by either restarting RDz or the VMware image.
    • RDz_Dave
      RDz_Dave
      102 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-09-18T14:54:08Z  in response to wilbert
      The RDz development/test team has been using VM ware internally to test RDz for about 3 or 4 years at this point. We usually try and fix any problems we see in the virtual environment.
      What kind of problems do you think running in VMWare would cause?
      • gunner3200
        gunner3200
        57 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-09-18T15:28:53Z  in response to RDz_Dave
        Could you give me the considerations you'd suggest we think about in order to initiate RDz in VMware? My company is considering setting up a "Standard Developer Desktop" by installing Developer only software in a VM image so it's easy for them to deploy, and update the software by simply having you download an image. One issue I can think up as a developer is... What how do you save all of your custimazation, settings and history from one image and use it in the next. We all know how much work it is when you get a new PC at work and you have to set all your preferences back to the way you like them.
        • RDz_Dave
          RDz_Dave
          102 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-10-07T19:13:25Z  in response to gunner3200
          A "Standard Developer Desktop" Environment on a Vmware image is a very good idea. We have setup similar environments for testing and customer demos. Configure the VMware image, take a snapshot of the image, and copy it to the users. The snapshot will allow the users to return to the "BASE" Image. Another alternative would be to use VMWARE Server or VMWARE ESXI to host the vmware images.

Advanatages
          -Portability across multiple systems with one install.
          • Setup and configuration Time.
          • Hardware Savings

Disadvantages
          • Local system resources. The vmware images share the physical hardware with the local operating system. The client systems will need to have enough RAM and Hard drive space to support the images. I would recommend a minimum of 2 gig of Ram for the client systems and 20 gig of Hard drive space. Depending on the size of the vmware image.

-Things to watch out for:
          -Computer Name: Make sure each vwmare image on the network has a unique computer name. After copying the vmware image change the computer name.
          -Mac Address: Usually this is not a problem depending on the the network configuration for the vmware image. If you have problems connecting to the network after copying the same image to several systems try changing the folder name were the image is located and when restarting the image select the option " I copied the vmware image" This will create a new MAC Address for the vmware image.
          -Memory usage on the client "Local Operating System". Each client should have a minimum of 2 gig of ram 4 gig preferred.
          -Managing Workspaces. We have not seen any issues with managing workspaces on vmware images.
          -DB2! Db2 is the big one. Make sure before installing DB2 that you have changed the computer name on the vmware image. Otherwise you will have to uninstall db2, Change the computer name and re-install db2.
          • AmiAmiAmi
            AmiAmiAmi
            1 Post
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-12-15T13:04:19Z  in response to RDz_Dave

Hi RDz_Dave,

I have installed and used VMWARE ..... but I do not find yet  interesting POT    on z/OS  ( Arguments as : COMPILE, COBOL/CICS,  Batch , Assigning a property group to the projects and resources..... Debug and navigate ....etc... ) to download  . May you kindly provide to myself  a link ?