Topic
No replies
Michael_Wong
Michael_Wong
29 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Do you think trigraphs should be deprecated?

‏2009-06-03T17:32:54Z |
Hi all, I just posted a note about C++ Standard's Intention to deprecate trigraph in the C++ Standard blog.
http://www-949.ibm.com/software/rational/cafe/blogs/cpp-standard/2009/06/03/intention-to-deprecate-trigraphs-in-the-next-c-standard

Obviously, we think it is a bad idea.

I would be interested in any comments from groups in this board, either here or at the blog. Thanks.
Updated on 2009-06-24T10:36:19Z at 2009-06-24T10:36:19Z by Michael_Wong
  • DaveyC
    DaveyC
    51 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Do you think trigraphs should be deprecated?

‏2009-06-07T12:33:19Z  in response to Michael_Wong
    It's obviously a terrible idea because of EBCDIC. EBCDIC sucks, we all know that but it's still alive an kicking!
    • timhahn
      timhahn
      5 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-06-08T12:15:47Z  in response to DaveyC

While trigraphs may seem like something that is of limited use, I see no reason to deprecate them. They have a useful purpose when dealing with source code that is stored in text files where the codepage of the source text is not amenable to the special characters (glyphs) which the C and C++ languages make use of (particularly brace and bracket glyphs).
      My opinion is that trigraphs should not be deprecated.
      Tim Hahn

• DaveyC
        DaveyC
        51 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-06-13T10:22:17Z  in response to timhahn
        here's an interesting history lesson re EBCDIC http://www.trailing-edge.com/~bobbemer/P-BIT.HTM
        Updated on 2009-06-13T10:22:17Z at 2009-06-13T10:22:17Z by DaveyC
        • Michael_Wong
          Michael_Wong
          29 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-06-18T17:33:11Z  in response to DaveyC
          Hi Tim, thanks. That is our opinion too. I wonder if you can contact me directly, especially if you are not from IBM. I would like to get as many customer cases as I can so that I can say there are large customers that is dependent on this.
          • Michael_Wong
            Michael_Wong
            29 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-06-19T15:33:53Z  in response to Michael_Wong
            Thanks for the link. That is interesting. I can see that we have to take care of what we have created.

Does your company use trigraph?

While we are discussing history, I should give some detail as to how trigraph deprecation came up.

In the last C++ Standard meeting, the Core (Language subcommittee) was processing National Body Comments (search for trigraph here or look for UK 11)

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2009/n2837.pdf

One of the comment from UK 11 was to deprecate trigraphs. This has the effect of a defect request in the C++0x draft standard. It was discussed and despite my lone objection, approved through straw vote to proceed to drafting (and Core issue 789 was opened).

Because trigraph deprecation has the effect of a fix to the C++0x CD1 (Committee Draft 1), a Core language issue was opened and now drafting is being prepared.
            http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/cwg_active.html#789

This drafting constitutes a formal proposal. It will be voted in as a language fix during the next meeting's Core sub-committee deliberations when the proposed draft text is reviewed, along with 20-30 other defect fixes to the language that also has proposed text review. The proposed text change is very simple in this case. It will likely move all of Clause 2.4 to Appendix D. All these fixes will be packaged and voted in full plenary at the end of the week ( for which issue 789 will just be one of many) by all national body reps. At that point, if we do not have enough support to reject it, it will be voted into the next C++0x draft. At that point, I suppose someone else can open a Core issue, or a National Body Comment to reverse the decision, but it will be more difficult since the Committee does not like to rehash decisions that have been made.

Appendix D lists all deprecated features. It defines deprecated as:
            "Normative for the current edition of the standard, but not guaranteed to be part of the Standard in future revisions."

However, very little is actually ever removed from the Standard. So this, along with many other items may continue to stay in Appendix D for a long time. This means that even if we were to lose, life will go on. However, once deprecated, there is the possibility that trigraph will be reused in another context, and that will definitely break existing code.

It is because this vote will happen in the next meeting (July 12-18 in Germany).. Up to now, there has been enthusiastic support for trigraph deprecation. The reason is because non-expert C++ users can easily confuse trigraphs (which start with ??) with a question mark in strings. As far as I can tell based on a search of our defect report database, our biggest counter argument is that there are several major customers (including ourselves) who are World-wide companies who use a lot of trigraph in their code. There are also serious technical issues such as lack of reasonable replacement using digraphs. But the fact that there are real users who use lots of trigraph, and the unlikelihood that C will remove trigraph, should make it a powerful argument against trigraph deprecation over the inconvenience of getting some confusion for non-expert users (paraphrased from UK 11) because the Standard is supposed to serve the complete user base. The current users of trigraph will be inconvenienced with having to change their code, especially if they want the same file to work in both EBCDIC and non-EBCDIC world, or in the C world, or in strict C++0x Standard compliant mode. For the EBCIDIC world, there is additional powerful argument where it may even be necessary to use trigraph to prevent code-invariant confusion. Basically, I view this as choosing which user-base to serve. As a group, the C++ Standard committee will decide who is more important to serve.: existing users with code using this feature, or future intent to make it easier for non-expert users. Both are important constituents.

As an IBM representative representing our constituent, we must choose to represent existing users and it is important that we make a stand to register our disapproval.
            Updated on 2009-06-19T15:33:53Z at 2009-06-19T15:33:53Z by Michael_Wong
            • DaveyC
              DaveyC
              51 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-06-19T13:10:19Z  in response to Michael_Wong
              Thanks for the info...

We use the ubiquitous header...

??=ifdef __COMPILER_VER__
              ??=pragma filetag("IBM-1047")
              ??=endif

In all our header files. That includes libraries like boost. The bottom line is we choose IBM-1047 as the base codepage because it's the best match for ISO-8859-1 latin-1. I have opened problems with the likes of doxygen to fix missing trigraph support and had no problems. Same with Enterprise Architect etc. Pre-processing is easy, why drop something which will break something?