No replies
kpedersen
kpedersen
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic For a student to have a "play about"

‏2010-01-20T16:53:10Z |
Hello,
As part of a hobby, I enjoy (cheap thrills :D) learning to use different C/C++ compilers and having a look at what parts of code needs work to allow it to be portable.
Would any of the compilers (trials from this site) work on a i386 running RHEL5 or FreeBSD? Probably not... If they are only for more "exotic" processors, would it be possible for me to buy a laptop with the correct hardware? I know that there is a PowerPC IBM thinkpad (really old) that runs AIX but this is probably quite hard to get hold of these days.
In short: Does anyone here use IBM's compilers on laptop hardware?
If not, does anyone know where to get reasonably priced, reasonably modern workstations that will support these compilers? I am particularly interested in systems that run AIX too.
Best Regards,
Karsten
Updated on 2010-02-26T23:20:17Z at 2010-02-26T23:20:17Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    196 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: For a student to have a "play about"

‏2010-02-20T00:33:00Z  in response to kpedersen

I think the short answer is "no", or "not very easily". Our compilers are for enterprise systems, and are not aimed at the consumer market where the inexpensive laptops live. Now that Apple's latest laptops are no longer PowerPC based, and their latest OS (Snow Leopard) doesn't support PowerPC code, I don't think there are many consumer oriented laptop (or desktop) options for you. I guess if you were (perversely) determined you could get an old Apple PowerPC based laptop and then install Linux on it, giving you a PowerPC based linux laptop. Then you could roll the dice and install one of the trial compilers.
    Yellow Dog Linux on a Power Mac G5
    Linux on POWER
    • kpedersen
      kpedersen
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-02-26T18:59:56Z  in response to SystemAdmin

Hi Chris,
      Yes, I figured that using old Apple hardware might be my only chance and had a quick hack at getting the PearPC emulator to work with Yellow Dog.
      The outcome of that experiment was not so good, so I will see if I can either pick up a cheap ppc mac from ebay or looking at an RS/6000, although I would lose the portability, might not be a bad option.
      Thank you for the info,

• SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        196 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-02-26T23:20:17Z  in response to kpedersen
        If you are only interested in inspecting the output (I'm guessing the listing file), then perhaps renting time on an AIX system is another option. Perhaps there is a local university nearby that can provide access, or maybe an AIX cloud somewhere. Good luck!