Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
No replies
Techieee
Techieee
3 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic IBM XL C and IBM XL C/C++ Compiler

‏2010-06-22T09:15:49Z |

Hello
Need clarification on IBM XL C and IBM XL C/C++ (for AIX) licensing -
If I have IBM XL C/C++ compiler license for AIX available with me, do I need buy IBM XL C compiler seperately
  • If I have IBM XL C/C++ compiler, can I run IBM C compiler without any problem.

Updated on 2010-06-28T18:46:24Z at 2010-06-28T18:46:24Z by Dwayne_M
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    196 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: IBM XL C and IBM XL C/C++ Compiler

‏2010-06-24T11:41:14Z  in response to Techieee
    Good morning Techieee,

If you have an IBM XL C/C++ compiler license available with you, this entitles you to use the product "IBM XL C/C++ for AIX", which contains both the C and C++ compiler.

Please let us know if you have any other issues.

Kind regards,

Remi
    Updated on 2010-06-24T11:41:14Z at 2010-06-24T11:41:14Z by SystemAdmin
    • Techieee
      Techieee
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-06-25T05:45:39Z  in response to SystemAdmin

Hello
      Thank you for providing information.
      Another query on licensing types of IBM C and IBM C/C++ compilers. I see there are three types of licensing is available - nodelocked, concurrent and concurrent nodelocked. As I understand the meaning of each of the following as -
      nodelocked - can be installed on one standalone machine and should be used in that machine.
      Is it a user based license or system (machine) based license? Can I use this license on one machine for some time and can be moved to other machine as per my requirement?
      Concurrent: The license will be served from central license server through LUM in the network
      Concurrent Nodelocked: I do not have any idea of this licesing type - In what scenario this license type will be useful.
      Thank you for your valuable information.

• Techieee
        Techieee
        3 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-06-28T03:16:11Z  in response to Techieee

Another question on compiler licenses usage -
        Is there a way, we can find out the usage of the compilers in standalone machines (on node locked license machine). No idea whether we can get the same compiler license information from concurrent license server-LUM
        Thank you.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          196 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-06-28T13:29:49Z  in response to Techieee

Good morning,
          For our newer products (that is XL C/C++ for AIX V11.1 and XL Fortran for AIX V13.1), we do have a soltuion to find out the usage of the compiler on a machine. That new feature is called URT (Utilization tracking and reporting).
          As for tracking the usage for an older product, (on a node locked license machine) I will have to pass the buck on someone else to answer your question.
          Kind regards,
          Remi.
          • Dwayne_M
            Dwayne_M
            9 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-06-28T18:46:24Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Hello,
            The types of licenses which you described in your email are the types of licenses which could be measured by the License Use Management (LUM) software, but are not the types of licenses available for our compiler products on AIX. (This is one of the reasons why LUM has not been used for tracking licenses and monitoring compiler usage since Version 6.0 of the compilers.)

There are two types of licenses available for our compiler products on AIX : Authorized User and Concurrent User

An Authorized User license is required for each person who will be using the compiler. For example, if one lists all of the people who will be using the compiler, and there are ten names on the list, then 10 authorized user licenses would be required.

A Concurrent User license can be shared amongst users and across machines. The number of Concurrent User licenses required is equal to the maximum number of users who are using the compiler at the same time. For example, if there are 10 users, but the maximum number of users
            who are using the compiler at the same time is 3, then 3 Concurrrent User licenses will be required.

The text of the official (i.e. not easily understood) definitions of Authorized User and Concurrent User can be found in the License Information document that comes with the compiler:

An Authorized User is a unique person who is given access to the Program. The Program may be installed on any number of computers or servers and each Authorized User may have simultaneous access to any number of instances of the Program at one time. Licensee must obtain separate, dedicated entitlements for each Authorized User accessing the Program in any manner directly or indirectly (for example: via a multiplexing program, device, or application server) through any means. An entitlement for an Authorized User is unique to that Authorized User and may not be shared, nor may it be reassigned other than for the permanent transfer of the Authorized User entitlement to another person.

A Concurrent User is a person who is accessing the Program at any particular point in time. Regardless of whether the person is simultaneously accessing the Program multiple times, the person counts only as a single Concurrent User. The Program may be installed on any number of computers or servers, but Licensee must obtain entitlements for the maximum number of Concurrent Users simultaneously accessing the Program. Licensee must obtain an entitlement for each simultaneous Concurrent User accessing the Program in any manner directly or indirectly (for example: via a multiplexing program, device, or application server) through any means.

Dwayne
            Updated on 2010-06-28T18:46:24Z at 2010-06-28T18:46:24Z by Dwayne_M
  • TPSIDHU
    TPSIDHU
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-15T19:21:53Z  in response to Techieee

Hello

IS XL c++ for datastage 8.7 on AIX an extra cost package?

Or 

is there any website i can get clear information about the licensing?

Sidhu

• Dwayne_M
      Dwayne_M
      9 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-19T21:25:13Z  in response to TPSIDHU

There isn't an XL C/C++ for Datastage. Datastage requires the XL C/C++ for AIX product, which we have been discussing in this thread. It is a separate product, which yes, one has to purchase licenses for. I put a summary of the two types of licenses available for the XL C/C++ for AIX in the post above on June 28, 2010.

Dwayne Moore, IBM Compilers Product Management

• JavierKuan
        JavierKuan
        1 Post
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-30T19:10:16Z  in response to Dwayne_M

How many IBM XL C/C++ for AIX  authorized/concurrent users should I consider for a Data Stage environment?

Does DS need only one for internal use? Or should we consider one per DS developer?

thanks

JK