Topic
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-03-29T15:29:51Z by wbv
LisaFellows
LisaFellows
26 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic CICS Explorer - Server Deployment Options (Citrix and z/Linux)

‏2010-08-13T13:35:51Z |
To All,

We’re targeting a large user base (1,000 plus) for our end-state deployment of CICS Explorer.
My Criteria:
1. Host different user groups (CICS Team, Operations, and Development) via a
shared CICS Explorer (per group) instance rather than supporting per user
copies on individual desktops.
2. Host plug-ins appropriate to a specific group, via separate user group CICS
Explorer instances.
3. Still allow for individual user CICS Explorer workspaces

We’ve been looking at deployment via Citrix Server. This would allow us to host a shared (plug-in appropriate) user group copy, and still support user customization, via user workspaces are created in directories under individual User IDs. There is however a server cost associated with this. We’ve also noticed slow response, logging into Citrix, probably an issue on our end.

The other option we’re considering is deployment via zLinux. This is new territory for me and I have no experience in this arena. I would be interested in hearing from anyone that has used this type of deployment, and if it would meet my project criteria:

I would also like to know if anyone out there is using a Citrix Server for Deployment, and what their experience has been.

Thanks,
Lisa
Updated on 2012-03-29T15:29:51Z at 2012-03-29T15:29:51Z by wbv
  • kevmeist
    kevmeist
    249 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: CICS Explorer - Server Deployment Options (Citrix and z/Linux)

‏2010-08-13T13:48:44Z  in response to LisaFellows
    Hi Lisa,

1000 users, huh? What do they all do?

Here, I'm the only one using CICS Explorer (so far). BUT, I have had some contact with the RD/z folks about using Microsoft SCCM to roll out new RD/z installation as well as fixpacks. According to IBM, thsi should work. Is that an option for you?

Regards,

K
  • Junior.Pearce
    Junior.Pearce
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-02-15T21:31:05Z  in response to LisaFellows
    kevmeist wrote:
    Hi Lisa,

1000 users, huh? What do they all do?

Here, I'm the only one using CICS Explorer (so far). BUT, I have had some contact with the RD/z folks about using Microsoft SCCM to roll out new RD/z installation as well as fixpacks. According to IBM, thsi should work. Is that an option for you?

Regards,

K

I don't think so, I do not think it's necessary.
  • wbv
    wbv
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-03-29T15:29:51Z  in response to LisaFellows
    Lisa

Have you installed your "solution"? We are looking at "dozens" of users and trying to limit our software installation support requirements. A single install location with multi-user access would be ideal.

Any "findings" from your perspective would be great.

Thx
    -wally