Topic
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2010-08-18T13:22:34Z by Wieckowski
Wieckowski
Wieckowski
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic sshd fails to start on RedHat 5.5 on power.

‏2010-08-11T13:42:15Z |
Hello, this is my first install of Linux on power. I retrieved the Redhat distro 5.5 and installed it via the Install tool. When I try to start sshd , I receive an error that it cannot generate the RSA keys.
In further digging I found where it is due to missing a shared lib, libnss3.so.
I did find it located in /usr/lib64. When I look on a comparable 5.5 system on X86 platform , I find the library in both /usr/lib and /usr/lib64 , They are NOT symlinks. I can probably just put a symlink in or change my LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but I am curious as to why it is not present like it is on X86. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or if any other suggestions. Thank you for your time.
Regards
Updated on 2010-08-18T13:22:34Z at 2010-08-18T13:22:34Z by Wieckowski
  • emachado
    emachado
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: sshd fails to start on RedHat 5.5 on power.

‏2010-08-17T21:30:34Z  in response to Wieckowski
    Hi Wieckowski,

which command are you using to start the sshd service? On Red Hat 5, usually it should be started by issuing 'service sshd status' as root. Also, can you please provide the error you receive when trying to start it?

Are you using a rpm package provided for Red Hat 5.5 or are you building from source? Which version are you using? (You can check that with the command 'rpm -qa openssh-server') In my tests, sshd is running ok using the package openssh-server-4.3p2-41.el5.

Also, the reason why you found 2 libnss3.so files in different paths is because there are 2 different nss packages, one for 32bit (located in /usr/lib) and other for 64bit (from /usr/lib64). This is quite common on Red Hat 5 for POWER, there are several packages shipped on the two flavors (64 and 32 bit), although the default is 32bit. In this case in specific, openssh-server is a 32 bit package, so it should use the libs from /usr/lib.

Finally, if you think this is a missing library problem, you might try removing and reinstalling the package using yum in order to avoid any dependency issues.

Kind regards,

Edjunior
    • Wieckowski
      Wieckowski
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: sshd fails to start on RedHat 5.5 on power.

‏2010-08-18T13:22:34Z  in response to emachado
      Hello, I have actually resolved my issue. I basically went back and re-installed RH 5.5 thru the Installation Toolkit using the "Full" install option. This then brought down the 32bit libnss3.so into /usr/lib. Then ssh was able to configure properly and initialize.
      Thank you for the response Ed.
      Regards, Tom