Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-03-23T11:24:56Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
353 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic HA or a DR Machine for the new Power 720 Machine

‏2010-08-02T20:50:34Z |
We have two 9406-570 machines on V5R4. One is used for the production and one for the disaster recovery.

On the DR machine we have a software called "Mimix" by Vision Solutions. http://www.visionsolutions.com/

We are planning to buy IBM's new 720 machines. We are desperately trying to replace mimix with something else. Either a HA product or a DR soluation. Can you guys recommend something ?

Thanks.
Updated on 2013-03-23T11:24:56Z at 2013-03-23T11:24:56Z by SystemAdmin
  • QSECOFR
    QSECOFR
    55 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: HA or a DR Machine for the new Power 720 Machine

‏2010-08-06T17:03:01Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I believe that Vision solutions bought most of the large software products such as Mimix and iTera. The only other "major" option that I know of is IBM's PowerHA solution which I believe is hardware based - (Full disclosure: I am an IBM employee). Even though the HA options were added into V6R1, IBM HA can be customized even at previous releases.

http://www.ibm.com/systems/power/software/availability/solutions.html

Hopefully others can respond to this thread as well.

Regards
    • Brian
  • PVND_Taiful_Bari
    PVND_Taiful_Bari
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-04-18T12:13:11Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I have some similar problem and need to deal with it soon.

I have one machine 8203-E4A(Power 520 Express) as DC and another 8203-E4A as DR.
    I am using Mimix for my application replication and in the same time XSM for my data storage replication.

For XSM there is some distance limitation and for that I had selected my DR location not far away from my DC location.
    Now I am planning to have a third offsite DR to gain sufficient geographical distance. But the problem is that I am not so sure about the process of implementing or planning the third offsite DR.
    It would be so nice if anyone can help me to know about the possibilities of such a DR solution.
    Definitely looking forward for a reply from an expert or any kind of suggestion would be appreciated.

SO....What is an offsite DR??
    ......Requirements for such an offsite DR....
    ......Alternative to offsite DR....

Will be waiting for reply from anyone...
    Thanking yours,
    Taiful Bari
    • QSECOFR
      QSECOFR
      55 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-04-19T19:36:53Z  in response to PVND_Taiful_Bari
      Hopefully others with a more broad experience between the different options will have a chance to come forward and answer your question. I have limited knowledge and only with the IBM options. For IBM i, when dealing with distance, the two options are:
      A) Global Mirroring - using the DSxxxx external DASD. (Maximum distance of roughly 500K ???)
      B) Geographical mirroring - involving clustering. Distance is limited by what is sent and ability of connections to keep up.

If you have an IBM i Support contract, you would want to discuss with the HA (High Availability) group.

• Brian
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    353 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-23T11:24:56Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    You can try BRMS for DR. It is the most powerful Backup&Recovery product