Topic
6 replies Latest Post - ‏2010-12-19T19:27:07Z by chrisandrews
Ravibn
Ravibn
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Compile Ubuntu 10.04

‏2010-07-30T07:50:47Z |
Since I tried installing Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit on my new Dell Latitude e6500 model I got this error

" This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU.
Unable to boot - Please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU "

My notebook config is Core i7 (720QM), 4GB ram, trackpad, Nvidia 3100 NVS grpx card.

Currently I am running Win 7 64 Prof.

Can someone help or point to source where I can get Info about downloading this entire source code and compile on my notebook.

Any help I would appreciate
Updated on 2010-12-19T19:27:07Z at 2010-12-19T19:27:07Z by chrisandrews
  • ishields
    ishields
    988 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Compile Ubuntu 10.04

‏2010-07-31T02:23:19Z  in response to Ravibn
    That sounds very odd. If you are attempting to install a 64-bit version and it isn't detecting the CPU properly, you might want to see if the install or live CD for any other 64-bit distro will detect the CD correctly.

If you decide to go ahead with building a kernel, there are at least a couple of articles on the Ubuntu site Ubuntu documentation - Kernel Compile and HOWTO: Kernel Compilation for Newbies.

Ian Shields
    • Ravibn
      Ravibn
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-08-03T00:54:09Z  in response to ishields
      ishields,

Thank you for your reply.

I went thru both the URLs you had replied with, but the steps described is expecting you to have Ubuntu before you can really compile the kernel. Since I am unable to install ubuntu I do not know how to go about downloading those utilities described in the URL you pointed out. Currently I am running Win 7 prof on this notebook.

Arch latest distro for i686 is the only one which works with this CPU. But it lacks all of the ubuntu features. It is a plain vanilla distro.

So if you think some other idea let me know.

Thanks
      Ravi
      • ishields
        ishields
        988 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-08-04T14:28:16Z  in response to Ravibn
        Can you do it on a machine that will load Ubuntu? You might also try asking on the Ubuntu Community Web forums, or contact Dell, since you are using a Dell machine.

Ian Shields
  • Rwbecca.Franks
    Rwbecca.Franks
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-08-17T12:19:47Z  in response to Ravibn
    I think you are using a downloaded copy of that version. I was also having difficulty during Ubuntu 10.04 installation. I have downloaded the free version of ubuntu that time, then I ordered a free version from ubuntu's website, now the problem is resolved for me. Hope your problem will resolve soon.

Beverly Hills Tech Support[/url]
  • Kieran.Shand
    Kieran.Shand
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-11-29T03:02:18Z  in response to Ravibn
    ishields wrote:
    That sounds very odd. If you are attempting to install a 64-bit version and it isn't detecting the CPU properly, you might want to see if the install or live CD for any other 64-bit distro will detect the CD correctly.

If you decide to go ahead with building a kernel, there are at least a couple of articles on the Ubuntu site Ubuntu documentation - Kernel Compile and HOWTO: Kernel Compilation for Newbies.

Ian Shields

Thanks for your instruction! It's comprehensive, It is exactly what I need.
  • chrisandrews
    chrisandrews
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-12-19T19:27:07Z  in response to Ravibn
    How does it run booting off the live cd?